snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 04 February 2012, 01:56 AM

Here in Florida in the '90's you could renew by mail. In the same envelope we'd renew my sainted mother's driver's license, and her Handicap Parking for being legally blind. Florida had no problem sending both back. BTW, Mom didn't drive, but hated the idea of carrying an expired license.
Old 04 February 2012, 02:02 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Come to think of it, is there really any valid reason for an expiration date on a driver's license, or is it just to keep some people employed? I mean, I don't have to take any tests, my data hasn't changed.
If nothing else, it ensures that drivers' address information is periodically kept up-to-date.
Old 04 February 2012, 02:31 AM

In my case they also check things like my vision to make sure that I am up to par on things
Old 04 February 2012, 03:49 PM

Also, a drivers license is being used like a quasi internal passport in the US. It is needed to board airplanes, etc.
Old 04 February 2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyAtAll View Post
BTW, Mom didn't drive, but hated the idea of carrying an expired license.
Did FL not offer non-driver state ID cards? That's what we got for my mom when her DL expired (after we recovered from her offhandedly commenting that she needed to renew her DL).
Old 04 February 2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Also, a drivers license is being used like a quasi internal passport in the US. It is needed to board airplanes, etc.
That's true, so it's important that pictures are up to date. I was surprised, though, when I went to get my KY license, that there wasn't an eye-test. My eyes are certainly not as good as the last time I got a new license, eight years ago, but I have a license that doesn't oblige me to wear corrective lenses.
Old 04 February 2012, 05:40 PM

I've been a bit unsettled to see the leeway that seems to be given during the eye tests. I say "seems" because I have no way of knowing the severity of the failures the testers are disregarding.
Old 04 February 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Did FL not offer non-driver state ID cards? That's what we got for my mom when her DL expired (after we recovered from her offhandedly commenting that she needed to renew her DL).
Yes, but she'd need to go to the DMV to change to an ID. Renewal was by mail.
Old 05 February 2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
That's true, so it's important that pictures are up to date. I was surprised, though, when I went to get my KY license, that there wasn't an eye-test. My eyes are certainly not as good as the last time I got a new license, eight years ago, but I have a license that doesn't oblige me to wear corrective lenses.
It may be different here, but here part of the renewal form is a series of yes/no questions and one of them is whether you've been told you need corrective lenses to drive.

I asked my eye doctor about it and he told me it wasn't an issue, that I'm nowhere near that limit, which doesn't surprise me as I tend not to wear my glasses at all (save situations like movie theatres).

ETA: BTW, don't ever say you get sleepy when driving. I did at the sleep study, but I meant when driving distances longer than I would normally drive, like 5 hours.
They reported me to the DMV and the DMV threatened to suspend my license and demanded more information. I had to go through all this rigamarole and go back to the sleep doctor and explain what I meant and that I didn't drive for that long as a result. The whole thing was a major PITA.

Last edited by Latiam; 05 February 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 22 May 2013, 02:15 PM
c141heaven

Crash Oldest Drivers License

Long ago, (30 years) if you were in the military it used to be that in most status you could keep your home state drivers license. I don't know if that's still true or not these days. Mine was issued to me in CA when I was 16 years old .. that would be 1966. When you got out of the service you had to get a new license the state where you finally ended up or renew your old expired one if you went back home.

I left the AF in 1978 and stayed in WA state where I was based, so I finally had to get a new license. I never disposed of my old CA license which had "expired" about 1970. In those days, a CA license was nothing more than a very thin piece of photographic paper (and all black and white - not laminated, no laser holograms, color shifting inks, no micro-printing or other fraud prevention at all) so it took no room in my wallet and just stayed there.

Around 1995, when it was more fun to fly, I was on a flight from Denver to Seattle. Towards the end of the flight they would play little games for prizes (free drink coupons, bottles of wine, etc.) "Who has the 'oldest penny?" , "Who has a 2 dollar bill? Finally they came to "Who has the oldest expired driver's license?"

BINGO! I KNEW I had that aced. Won a bottle of wine for it.
Old 26 May 2013, 09:39 PM

As far as the eye test is concerned, the last time I renewed mine NYS included a card with the paperwork that I could bring to my doctor and then mail back instead of having to go to the DMV for the eye test. IIRC I still would have had to go in if I wanted a new picture though.
Old 26 May 2013, 11:06 PM

Last year I had to renew my drivers license. To make thing simpler and faster, they sent me the information along with me renewal notice on how to it on line. So I spent about 30 min reading everything and filling out all the questions. Then on the last page they as the question about several medical conditions including eye sight. I said yes to the eyes needing corrective lens. So it throws away all the work I did because I'm required to go in person to the Department of Licensing to have my eye tested and answer all the questions again.

You think they would have started with a notice that is you have the following conditions, you must go the Department of Licensing in person.
Old 27 May 2013, 01:59 AM

If you admit to needing corrective lenses, what's the point of the eye test? I thought that's what the eye test was for.
Old 27 May 2013, 07:54 AM

Sometimes they don't believe you.
When I first got my DL, the clerk insisted I take off my coke-bottle glasses and attempt to read the sign. After she ignored my assurance that I needed my glasses to drive and would never drive without them regardless of what it said on my license, I took of my glasses. When she asked me to read the third line on the sign, I said, "What sign?"

A few months ago I went in to get my name changed on my DL, and the clerk insisted on checking each eye's vision separately. This was a problem, since I have one contact lens that corrects for near-sightedness and one for far-sightedness. The far-sighted corrected eye could not pass. The clerk offered me a form to take to my optometrist for verification. Instead, I opted for going home and replacing the far-sighted contact with a near-sighted contact.
Old 30 May 2013, 09:22 AM

Glasses

I would not want to hitch a ride with a friend of mine. He must have come to Sweden with an English license and just transformed it to a Swedish one and nowhere in the process was he required to take an eye test. The problem is he is well over 70 years old and reads without glasses, so he must be severely myopic without realising it himself.
Old 01 June 2013, 01:07 PM

Belgian drivers' licenses never expire, and up until the early-Sixties or so didn't require any sort of test or even the ability to operate a motor vehicle. My grandma picked up her license on a lark, learned to drive later, and can still legally drive despite never having learned anything about either driving itself or the rules of the road - let alone all the new signs and regulations that have been added in the last half century.

Really makes you feel safe on the road, dunnit?
Old 01 June 2013, 01:11 PM

It seems odd to even call it a "license" if you don't need to meet any qualifications to get it. .
Old 01 June 2013, 01:24 PM

Similarly my registered-blind granny apparently had a valid HGV license that she'd got during the war...
Old 01 June 2013, 01:33 PM

There was a guy in my mom's JW congregation who'd first been licensed in the military, and was given a civilian license based solely on that. I don't know what his driving was like when he was in the Army, but when I knew him, he'd been driving for 20 or 30 years and was still incredibly bad at it. Once, one of his passengers pointed out a building they'd been looking for, and he screeched to a halt in the middle of the road to look.
Old 01 June 2013, 01:51 PM

My late grandfather learned to drive in this snazzy little compact and never really changed his driving style :-)