snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 09 April 2018, 08:20 PM

Default R.I.P. Chuck McCann

Chuck McCann, actor and voice-over artist, has died at the age of 83, according to this story. He was an early star of NYC kids' television, and my friend and writing collaborator Joe DeVito remembers being a huge fan when he was young.

My wife and I met Mr. McCann a few years ago at an old-time radio event in Los Angeles. He and the wonderful Eddie Carroll were both in the cast of a re-created Jack Benny program--Eddie did a fantastic Benny--and McCann was a very good Phil Harris. We chatted with him later, and I mentioned that I was a big fan of his voice work, so he did the voice of cartoon character Hurricane Harry for us and BOTH sides of a Laurel and Hardy interchange. He had become a friend of Stan Laurel's when he--Chuck, of course--was twelve and called the comedian long-distance, a cold call, and Laurel, delighted, talked to him for half an hour. They became good friends, and Chuck, who excelled at impersonating Hardy, also did a dead-on Stanley Laurel voice.

He was also well-known in the sixties as the ad pitchman for Right Guard deodorant--he was the guy who, when his neighbor in the next apartment opened his medicine cabinet, was framed, because Chuck was in HIS bathroom with HIS medicine cabinet opened, and the two cabinets had no back--it was shared space. Chuck's cheery "Hi, Guy!" became a catch-phrase.

Mark Evanier remembers him here.
Old 10 April 2018, 12:56 AM

The Right Guard commercials are what I remember him from.

RIP, Mr. McCann.