snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 30 March 2018, 02:28 PM

Default Scott Foster, accountant turned Chicago Blackhawks goalie, stars in NHL debut

Scott Foster thought it was going to be just another night. Then the 36-year-old accountant signed a contract, put on his goaltender gear and waited in Chicago's locker room. Then he got into the game.

Then, it was his night.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-f...-in-nhl-debut/
Old 30 March 2018, 06:57 PM

I am very sentimental about baseball as a sport, not so much hockey.
However I heard this story this morning. You have to love it. Who knew there were volunteer goal tenders at games waiting for a chance?
It sounds like a hectic two and a half minutes, and for all the wanna be sports heroes in the world, there is a new champeen !

Ali
Old 30 March 2018, 07:17 PM

It is a strange thing that the team doesn't have two back-ups, but it is an absolute dream for this guy. I am really happy for him, since this is really a dream come true, especially since he did so well.
Old 30 March 2018, 07:40 PM

Teams typically carry just two goalies. They will have more in their system but they will be down in the lower levels, AHL and ECHL so they can play regularly and not just sit on the bench. Usually they have time to call guys up when there's an injury. So if the injury had happened during the morning skate say, the Blackhawks would have tapped their goalie in Rockford to play. But since it happened during warmups, the ebug (emergency back up goalie) got the call. It doesn't happen often but it does once in a while. Here's a nice article from the NYT about ebugs: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/31/s...31backups.html

Fun fact, if both goalies go down in the game, the team will dress one of the regular players as a goalie. They get a few minutes for him to dress and warm up. I've never seen that happen but it's in the rules.
Old 30 March 2018, 07:57 PM

I don't know that much about Hockey, but from NPR's story it sounds like it went like this: Their starting goalie, Corey Crawford, was out due to an injury. The other goalie, Anton Forsberg, was supposed to start and they brought in Collin Delia from the minor leagues as their second goalie. Then Forsberg got hurt during warmups, so Delia started and Scott Foster got the call to be his backup. Then Delia got hurt during the game and Foster actually got to play.
Old 31 March 2018, 01:10 PM

Baseball

I like the Emergency Backup Goalie.

The Ontario Hockey League in 2012 had a situation where the Erie Otters dressed a centre as goalie against the Niagara Ice Dogs. They promptly lost 13-4.

The Vancouver Canucks routinely dress a UBC goalie as the second backup when they can't get their "third" goalie to the arena.

The Washington Capitals dressed a Rec League goalie who sat on the bench a few years ago.

It happens a few times per year.

By priority, teams will use their primary, backup, farm team and then Emergency goalies.

Most teams have a volunteer programme that is league sanctioned. If both teams show up with both goalies, then a volunteer goalie is signed who can play for either team if both get injured. This is what happened to Scott Foster. The primary goalie was injured, the backup goalie got hurt during the warmup, the Farm Team goalie got injured in the third, and voila, the Emergency goalie is called.

I was on the road yesterday and missed the excitement. Woke up to my Twitter feed exploding with this story. I've been following it quite excitedly.
Old 31 March 2018, 08:46 PM

He had an awesome post game interview as well. Dude's a natural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB60...&feature=share

I think my favorite part is where they named him first star.
Old 01 April 2018, 12:18 AM

Baseball

He also got the wrestling belt inside the dressing room. This is something that is given to the player the others think made the biggest impact of the game.

My Jets give a pilot's hat, another team it is the construction helmet (I think the Oilers) and in Chicago, a heavyweight wrestling championship belt.

Very cool on the Blackhawks' part!