snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 08 March 2018, 03:57 AM

Default The strange shows you grew up on

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with a workmate (who is about 9 months younger than mehes Capricorn, Im Aries and we were both born in the same Rat year. Can someone do the math?) about what shows he remembered from weekend mornings. Keep in mind that he and I are also from the same country, but different states.

This was not among them, and when I showed the video his response was What the NFBSK?. However, I remembered it from the days when Agro was on TV. (I associate him with the show because I caught it in reruns airing after Agros Sunday).

What are the weirder shows from your childhood?
Old 08 March 2018, 04:29 AM

Mostly shows about weird professors and doctors

Old 08 March 2018, 04:39 AM

Hmm, I think that Pro Stars was one of the weirder shows when I was a kid: Bo Jackson, Michael Jordon, and Wayne Gretzky were sports-themed superheroes.
Old 08 March 2018, 05:09 AM

I'm a 60s kid, so for us it was Green Acres, Bewitched, The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Beverly Hillbillies, Batman, Get Smart.
Old 08 March 2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I'm a 60s kid, so for us it was Green Acres, Bewitched, The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Beverly Hillbillies, Batman, Get Smart.
Since I know nothing about where you lived then (Ive lived in Perth, Melbourne Calabasas and two other houses in Brissie)I just stumbled on this
Old 08 March 2018, 09:21 AM

Saturday morning TV in the UK in the early 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN5i2p3HBxQ
Old 08 March 2018, 09:46 AM

70s kid here.

My brother and I were Krofft Supershow fans, so Land of the Lost, Sigmund the Seamonster, Dr. Shrinker, Wonderbug, Bigfoot and Wildboy, Electrawoman and Dynagirl, Isis, Shazam!... the classics!

Thanks to our dad, we were also Looney Tunes fans, and the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show was a staple of our Saturday mornings, and the only one he'd join us for.
Old 08 March 2018, 11:06 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
70s kid here.

My brother and I were Krofft Supershow fans, so Land of the Lost, Sigmund the Seamonster, Dr. Shrinker, Wonderbug, Bigfoot and Wildboy, Electrawoman and Dynagirl, Isis, Shazam!... the classics!

Dr. Shrinker! He's a madman with an evil plan!

Add to those cartoons like Scooby Doo, the Amazing Chan Clan, Captain Caveman and Josie and the Pussycats.

Also live action shows like the Hudson Brothers Razzle-Dazzle Show, Far-Out Space Nuts, Land of the Lost, and the Banana Splits.
Old 08 March 2018, 11:47 AM

Yes! Ditto all those you mentioned!

70s Saturday morning was a goldmine if you were a kid!
Old 08 March 2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Me too (60s/70s), but if we're talking weird shows, I'd think The Avengers, maybe Outer Limits (the opening used to scare me when I was little), and oh yeah the Banana Splits.
t
ETA: I occasionally came across the Banana Splits. I don't think I ever sat down and watched it. The characters creeped me out even as a kid.
Old 08 March 2018, 12:10 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA: I occasionally came across the Banana Splits. I don't think I ever sat down and watched it. The characters creeped me out even as a kid.
Oh I loved the Banana Splits! I must have been quite young when I saw it because I can remember the theme song but barely anything else about it.

MAKIN' UP A MESS OF FUN!
Old 08 March 2018, 12:57 PM

Hilarious House of Frightenstein

Friendly Giant - which didn't seem weird as a kid, but the guy had a harp playing rooster living in a bag hung on a nail in the wall. That's not normal.
Old 08 March 2018, 01:01 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post

Friendly Giant - which didn't seem weird as a kid, but the guy had a harp playing rooster living in a bag hung on a nail in the wall. That's not normal.
. For that matter what about Butternut Square (later renamed Mr Dressup) Casey and Finnegan lived in a tree - and no one thought this was weird?
Old 08 March 2018, 01:57 PM

I sat down and watched a Space Knights just then.

It was still mindbogglingly odd.

The plot of the episode opened with good Sir Tristam of Castle Skyminster, who was supposed to take up the sword Electro Excalibur and usher in an era of peace…except that right at the critical moment, his mortal enemy the Black Knight took up the sword and used it to make war.

300 years later, young squire Arthur Asteroid of Castle Spacelot and a robot named Conrod are told the story by Sir Cedric Space and Lady Guinevere Galaxy. Of course, it turns out that the legendary sword is supposed to re-appear on that day. Unfortunately, the Digital Druids (whoever they are) have declared Skyminster off-limits to the Space Knights (although, as Arthur points out, neither he nor Conrod are Space Knights). So of course Arthur sets off for Skyminster with Conrod.

Anyway, on to the villains of the show. First up is your generic fantasy villain, Mordred Darkvoid, who looks like Lord Buckethead with a little Darth Vader mixed in (What? Did you think he was created for political satire?). He’s a descendant of the Black Knight, and he has two servants: Jeevzoid and Maggie Mooncrusher. But now it gets odd: the other set of baddies (the ones who do the dirty work) are pirates. And the leader is named Penzance Plunderon. I should probably note that I have been to Penzance, and know very well that the concept expressed by that operetta is ludicrous. Penzance is “helped” by two henchmen, the dumb muscle Blunderblock and the scarcely more intelligent Pegleg. The three of them crew a literal pirate ship called the Black Blaster.

Anyway, Darkvoid sends Penzance to get the sword, preferably before Arthur. However, Sir Cedric and Lady Guinevere notice that all five are headed towards Skyminster, and set off in pursuit.

Of course, as you can likely gather, the ghost of Sir Tristam takes up the sword (after reciting an oath that Arthur and Conrod have to re-teach him, because such things do not change in 300 years), scaring our idiot pirates and disrupting the Laserlances the Space Knights use (because the sword now makes peace).

Cue happy end, which is (as usual for a kids show) corny as hell. All in all, I was entertained.
Old 08 March 2018, 03:36 PM

So Weird and Eerie Indiana were two of my favorites. A little bit older and then it was American Gothic.
Old 08 March 2018, 03:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
70s kid here.

Thanks to our dad, we were also Looney Tunes fans, and the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show was a staple of our Saturday mornings, and the only one he'd join us for.
Every show I was going to mention got caught in this quote here.

I've found a few episodes of each over the years on Youtube. Horrible by today's standards, but still watchable by someone who watched it back then!

One that was not mentioned that was not a Saturday morning event in my neighbourhood was "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home". I can still sing the theme song.
Old 08 March 2018, 04:09 PM

Alf might have been one of the weirder shows of the 1980s, but I never really watched it.

Of the shows I actually did watch, You Can't Do That On Television was pretty weird in retrospect. It was a kids show that had a recurring sketch involving an execution (albeit the firing squad was too inept to actually hit anyone other than the executioner), and burgers with a special sauce implied to be made from vomit, and green slime that rained down from the ceiling any time a cast member uttered the phrase "I don't know".

And the 1980s were the dawn of the era of Saturday morning cartoons based on video games. Younger people often don't believe me when I tell them there used to be a cartoon based on Pac-Man. And QBert.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 08 March 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08 March 2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
And the 1980s were the dawn of the era of Saturday morning cartoons based on video games. Younger people often don't believe me when I tell them there used to be a cartoon based on Pac-Man. And QBert.
I remember watching Pac-Man, and Q*bert. I was always primarily interested in the Looney Tunes shows - the particular version that I remember best was the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show. Looking it up, it was 1978-1985, so that matches me from 4 to 11. Not really odd, so not relevant here.
As for really weird shows, I think I avoided most of them. Thundarr the Barbarian stands out a bit - he basically wielded a lightsaber, so I was in. It was set in the distant future, after an apocalypse, so you would see remnants of our world, but with sorcerers and warriors running around. This leads me to remember watching Dungeons and Dragons as well - the one where the kids got sucked into the world of D&D.
A little older, and I'm going with Cop Rock. For some reason my dad absolutely loved that show, so we saw every episode.
Old 08 March 2018, 05:30 PM

Speaking of Saturday morning cartoons, when did this stop being a thing? Last Saturday morning I was home and flipping channels and throughout the morning not one mainstream channel had cartoons on. CBS did have children's oriented programming but no cartoons. The only channels that had them (that I would consider "regular" channels) were CBC and TVO (Ontario's answer to PBS) but both of these channels were offering very education based cartoons along with children's shows that were not animated.

"Back in my day" we had cartoons, real cartoons that were just meant for fun - and to sell cereal and toys, often based on the cartoons. Anyway we'd get up and were spoiled for choice in terms of all cartoons, everywhere for the whole morning.
Old 08 March 2018, 05:30 PM

I loved Cop Rock. Your father and I may have been the only two people who did.