snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 November 2014, 07:58 PM

TV 'Cosby Show' repeats pulled

Bill Cosby is continuing to move off TVís entertainment schedule and into its news programs.

Basic cable network TV Land has now yanked all syndicated repeats of his iconic NBC series The Cosby Show, a spokesperson for the channel confirmed.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/19/bi...-show-repeats/
Old 20 November 2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
As one commentator said, this issue is now going to be referenced in the opening sentence of every obituary when Bill Cosby dies.
Somehow, I HIGHLY doubt that.
Old 20 November 2014, 10:09 PM

Reporter

If this scandal ends his entertainment career and is the last notable thing people see or hear of him, I don't doubt that it will be the lead in every obituary when he dies (unless maybe he hangs around for another 20 or 30 years and people forget about it).
Old 20 November 2014, 10:24 PM

I'd say opening paragraph or possibly even second paragraph rather than first sentence. There's a lot of information to fit into one sentence, starting with the circumstances of their death. When everyone knows something, they'll work up to mentioning it in some artful manner rather than dropping it quickly like it's new information. A minor celebrity will have more biographical information up front in case you don't know who they are, but a major celebrity they'll assume you know and take longer to explain their relevance.
Old 20 November 2014, 10:28 PM

Agreed, Errata. It will be in the obit, but not likely the first sentence.
Old 20 November 2014, 10:28 PM

I'm with Errata, it won't be first.

Quote:
Bill Cosby, long-running comedian, actor, pitchman, and talk-show host was senselessly eaten by wolves, according to a press release from his family.
The beloved comedian, whose later years were marred by multiple allegations of rape and sexual assault, had stopped touring and had dropped from the public view in 2015...
Old 21 November 2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Is it wrong of me to have an opinion on the relative likelihood that the accusations are true?
No, it's not wrong and it's common enough that the media relies on reader opinion to sell a particular angle on the news, but I think it's unhelpful both to you, the reader of the news, and to the justice system in general, to have an opinion based on nothing but media conjecture that a person is guilty or not guilty. While it's difficult not to have some kind of opinion, the opinions of newsreaders like yourself in cases like this are worth absolutely sweet Fanny Adams. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make a difference to the system that casts doubt on rape victims whether you feel like Cosby is 'likely' to be guilty or not. You have no special knowledge of this case. Your opinion is based on gut feelings and those feelings make you feel a sense of injustice even though the justice process has barely started yet. You are outraged because of the possibilities, not because of the facts. Wait until the possibilities become facts to be invested enough to be outraged. Until you have an army of evidence to back up your righteous indignation, you're basically just shaking your fist at a sinister looking cloud.

It's difficult, but I think the best approach in cases like this is interested neutrality. What will it mean if he's guilty? What will it mean if he's not? These are both relevant questions that can only be answered later. Let the outrage simmer until it becomes useful.
Old 21 November 2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Your opinion is based on gut feelings and those feelings make you feel a sense of injustice even though the justice process has barely started yet.
It's never going to get started, either. The statute of limitations for most rape is 6 years. And even if not, there's not going to be any physical evidence unless it's investigated immediately. He's going to get away with it.

People not wanting to work with him anymore and the dark cloud over his legacy is the only consequence he'll ever face. He may possibly settle some civil cases the way he has before, but he's never going to be found guilty in a criminal court of law.
Old 21 November 2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
You are outraged because of the possibilities, not because of the facts. Wait until the possibilities become facts to be invested enough to be outraged. Until you have an army of evidence to back up your righteous indignation, you're basically just shaking your fist at a sinister looking cloud.
I agree that we should know more before we decide what to think, but I don't feel like Lainie expressed either "outrage" or "moral indignation" over this subject. She said it was "frustrating" and that she "leans towards" believing the women.
Old 21 November 2014, 01:36 AM

I did not.

Quote:
No, it's not wrong and it's common enough that the media relies on reader opinion to sell a particular angle on the news, but I think it's unhelpful both to you, the reader of the news, and to the justice system in general, to have an opinion based on nothing but media conjecture that a person is guilty or not guilty.
I also reject the idea that I'm doing this. I am not jumping on some bandwagon based on media conjecture.

Quote:
While it's difficult not to have some kind of opinion, the opinions of newsreaders like yourself in cases like this are worth absolutely sweet Fanny Adams.
I don't expect my opinion to be worth anything to anyone but me. I was asked why my opinion is what it is, so I answered.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but it doesn't make a difference to the system that casts doubt on rape victims whether you feel like Cosby is 'likely' to be guilty or not.
No need to apologize, I don't expect it to.

Quote:
You have no special knowledge of this case.
I never claimed to.

Quote:
Your opinion is based on gut feelings and those feelings make you feel a sense of injustice even though the justice process has barely started yet. You are outraged because of the possibilities, not because of the facts. Wait until the possibilities become facts to be invested enough to be outraged. Until you have an army of evidence to back up your righteous indignation, you're basically just shaking your fist at a sinister looking cloud.
WTF? I have said nothing about being outraged. Your characterization is inaccurate and insulting. I would have expected you to know me better.

Quote:
It's difficult, but I think the best approach in cases like this is interested neutrality. What will it mean if he's guilty? What will it mean if he's not? These are both relevant questions that can only be answered later. Let the outrage simmer until it becomes useful.
Let your own outrage simmer. I have claimed none.
Old 21 November 2014, 01:45 AM

Because the show got pulled from TVLand, his former co-stars have been dragged into the quagmire. They're going to be losing out on a lot of residuals, as I doubt any of his shows will air again.
Old 21 November 2014, 01:46 AM

It's worth pointing out, too, that Cosby potentially could sue (or could have sued) his accusers for slander if the claims are false. He has no obligation to, of course, but he could. So the women are also not the only ones to have passed on legal remedies when some were available. That he might have reasons not to is no different from the fact that the women might have reasons not to have pursued legal action.

I doubt any of this will make it to court unless some accusations surface of some more recent abuse. So it's likely that the court of public opinion is the only one we'll see. I can reserve final judgment and still say that the initial evidence out there tends to point a certain way. That's not me relying on media conjecture, that's my own tentative conjecture. I don't expect my opinion to be "worth" anything except to possibly be of interest to others who also want to discuss the case. If more information comes out that discredits one or more of the accusers, or supports a conspiracy theory about all of these women being out to get Cosby, then I will reevaluate (as I will with any new evidence--my opinion is tentative).
Old 21 November 2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Because the show got pulled from TVLand, his former co-stars have been dragged into the quagmire. They're going to be losing out on a lot of residuals, as I doubt any of his shows will air again.
That is unfair and unfortunate, even if he is guilty of the charges.
Old 21 November 2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Your opinion is based on gut feelings and those feelings make you feel a sense of injustice even though the justice process has barely started yet.
AFAIK the justice process hasn't started at all. What events would you describe as it "barely starting"?
Old 21 November 2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Bill Cosby, long-running comedian, actor, pitchman, and talk-show host was senselessly eaten by wolves, according to a press release from his family.
Wasn't that Gerald Ford?

I'll do it
Old 21 November 2014, 02:49 AM

Now that I got rehooked on the show, they yank it from TVLand. Where am I gonna get my ugly sweater fix now?
Old 21 November 2014, 03:11 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
Now that I got rehooked on the show, they yank it from TVLand. Where am I gonna get my ugly sweater fix now?
I could send you some selfies you could make pin-ups out of.
Old 21 November 2014, 09:56 AM

When the first accusations about Rolf Harris started to come out I really, really wanted it it to not be so. Nah, it couldn't be true - he's so lovable in himself, I love his songs, I loved Animal Hospital. I hoped he was a victim of an unfair witchhunt.

The more alleged victims that came out, the more I couldn't bring myself to defend him. To stand by him no matter what means I'm accusing so many women of making things up in the hopes that one man isn't telling lies himself. While I loved his persona I didn't know his person, any more than I knew any of these women.

It's hard accepting that somebody you admired has - or may have - done a terrible thing, especially when it completely destroy the foundations of their wonderful persona, when it's something that can't be overlooked for the sake of a fun little song. That said, nobody should attempt to keep an idol up by knocking so many other people down. I think it's natural to face shock with disbelief but many people perhaps need to think about what they're clinging on to, what they're hoping for, that they're hoping many women are liars and scoundrels in order to protect the image they have of just one man.

I don't really know much about Bill Cosby, never watched anything of his, but when I heard this I did think of Rolf Harris here. It sounds like it could be potentially more surprising because of his persona as such as a lovely guy.
Old 21 November 2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
The more alleged victims that came out, the more I couldn't bring myself to defend him. To stand by him no matter what means I'm accusing so many women of making things up in the hopes that one man isn't telling lies himself. While I loved his persona I didn't know his person, any more than I knew any of these women.
Yes, this.
Old 21 November 2014, 02:49 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Do we know that the actors get residuals into perpetuity?