snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 03 April 2018, 12:23 AM

Default NBC's "Jesus Christ Superstar" Live

Just wondering if any other snopesters caught the show, and what opinions/observations were out there. I enjoyed it on the whole; there were some terrific vocal/acting performances (and a few less so, but nothing terrible), and I thought that some of the staging was absolutely brilliant.
Old 03 April 2018, 01:19 AM

Been a fan of JCS since the movie in the 70's; other than that I've only seen a British production on TV a while back. I thought this was very well done, esp. the audience interaction and energy level. The set was terrific; I was hoping for more long shots just to show it off. The ascension scene at the end was very moving.
Old 03 April 2018, 11:40 AM

My takeaway: never send a pop singer to do an actor's job.
Old 03 April 2018, 05:39 PM

Have it taped and am only part way through but I am loving it. So much energy, awesome music and I think everyone so far is doing a fantastic job. I have to make time tonight to watch the rest. JCS is a favourite of mine and I wondered if they could pull it off. So far, so great!
Old 03 April 2018, 06:28 PM

I thought Legend was OK (he doesn't have the natural range for the part, but made intelligent musical choices to get through) - I was a bit underwhelmed by the last part of Gethsemane, but he stuck the dismount, so to speak. Thought Dixon did a great job as Judas; ditto for Bareilles as Mary Magdalene. Norm Lewis as Caiaphas was terrific, even if he didn't have Victor Brox's floor-shaking low register. Thought that Jin Ha did a fine job as Annas, and the supporting two priests were also good. Alice Cooper as Herod was a nice bit of stunt casting that worked well. Jason Tam as Peter acquitted himself well, and I thought that Erik Grönwall's Simon Zealotes was fun - he seemed to be channelling early Axl Rose a bit in his physical presence. The only actor/singer who fell flat for me a bit was Ben Daniels as Pilate - vocally, he just wasn't as solid as the rest of the cast.

I really appreciated some of the production elements - for being advertised as a "live in concert" version, it was certainly a fully-realized stage production. Some of my favorite bits:

- the crowds waving the cloths for Hosanna, only to throw them down on the stage when they turn on Jesus; Judas then uses them to fashion his noose.

- the embrace between Jesus and Judas immediately after the betrayal

- the ending, with the crucified Jesus receding into the tomb, with a blinding light still visible as the "stones" moved into place - very effective. I only found out after watching the show that I know the lighting director (not professionally - he's the son of my high school music teacher, and I've known him since he was born). He developed a passion for theater tech as a high school student, and has developed it into a very successful career.
Old 03 April 2018, 07:10 PM

Oops - double posted somehow. (Is "waffles" still a thing?)
Old 03 April 2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
- the crowds waving the cloths for Hosanna, only to throw them down on the stage when they turn on Jesus; Judas then uses them to fashion his noose.
I really liked that bit, too, and the way they conveyed his suicide without showing it.

I loved the movie, and my daughter has never seen it. I think we need to find it streaming.
Old 03 April 2018, 10:30 PM

Icon106

The first thing my musical theater geek daughter said to me was Judas sounded like he could play Aaron Burr.

I was disappointed that the vocals were low in the mix though I didn't have my TV set up for music so that probably didn't help.

And Alice was wonderful. That was the reason DD2 and DS actually watched it with me. They are Alice fans.
Old 03 April 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
The first thing my musical theater geek daughter said to me was Judas sounded like he could play Aaron Burr.
Your daughter has a good ear or a semi-good memory. He already did.
Old 04 April 2018, 01:41 AM

Sigh. Happy sigh. Loved it. What a production! And I cried. I always cry.
Old 04 April 2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Alice Cooper as Herod was a nice bit of stunt casting that worked well.
I've seen this comment a few times now. Does it really count as stunt casting when a well known person is recreating a role they have already played**? Or would people say the original time was stunt casting too?

**Alice Cooper has played King Herod before, in London's West End.
Old 04 April 2018, 03:42 PM

I will admit to not knowing about the West End gig. (According to Wikipedia, Cooper was brought in for the 1996 London cast album but didn't actually appear in the stage show - if he did a West End performance at some later point, I couldn't find it.)

Regardless, I think it is "stunt casting" in this instance - it's a big name in a one-off song, requiring little to no participation in extended rehearsals. Furthermore, he was appearing as his stage persona Alice Cooper, complete with the famous eye makeup, hairdo, and skull-topped cane, and, following the song, worked the crowd with a "hello, Jerusalem!" - deliberately playing off his rock star status.

When Dennis DeYoung (of Styx) played Pilate in a nationally touring revival production, they were definitely taking advantage of the name recognition in the promotions, but it was a very different situation than the Cooper-as-Herod situation. (My 2 cents, for all that it's worth.)
Old 04 April 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I thought Legend was OK (he doesn't have the natural range for the part, but made intelligent musical choices to get through) - I was a bit underwhelmed by the last part of Gethsemane, but he stuck the dismount, so to speak. Thought Dixon did a great job as Judas; ditto for Bareilles as Mary Magdalene. Norm Lewis as Caiaphas was terrific, even if he didn't have Victor Brox's floor-shaking low register. Thought that Jin Ha did a fine job as Annas, and the supporting two priests were also good. Alice Cooper as Herod was a nice bit of stunt casting that worked well. Jason Tam as Peter acquitted himself well, and I thought that Erik Grönwall's Simon Zealotes was fun - he seemed to be channelling early Axl Rose a bit in his physical presence. The only actor/singer who fell flat for me a bit was Ben Daniels as Pilate - vocally, he just wasn't as solid as the rest of the cast.
Gotta disagree on a couple of points. Dixon was absolutely flat at the beginning of the show (I mean "flat" as "unemotional", not musically off-key). The early songs of Judas are supposed to show how conflicted he was, and Dixon sounded like he was stopping at the store for a loaf of bread.

I thought Daniels did a great job. Maybe not the greatest voice in the cast, but he sang with emotion.

Will agree that Legend did OK, not great. Again, didn't show the emotional range for the part. I like the comment above - never send a pop star to do an actor's job.

Watched the "tribute" to Andrew Lloyd Weber, that was really just a long advertisement for the live Superstar. Legend kept talking about how stoked he was to be playing Jesus; my wife got tired of me saying "Yes, but Judas is a much better role!" Remember - the "subtitle" of the show is something along the lines of "a look at the crucifixion through the eyes of Judas."
Old 04 April 2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Gotta disagree on a couple of points. Dixon was absolutely flat at the beginning of the show (I mean "flat" as "unemotional", not musically off-key)."
I'm actually with you on this one - he grew on me as the show went on. I think some of this may have also come down to the camerawork; the show's producers seemed to be operating under the misapprehension that JCS is Jesus' show, when it absolutely belongs to Judas. And I agree that Daniels did a great job acting Pilate (although I wasn't really buying the bit where a look into Jesus' eyes seemed to prompt an instant conversion from snide persecutor to broken and desperate would-be savior, but that's on the director, not on Daniels.) My main issue with him was that he was "pitchy" (to use the popular term) through much of his performance.
Old 04 April 2018, 10:41 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Your daughter has a good ear or a semi-good memory. He already did.

Given the number of times she's heard one of the sound-tracks, it didn't surprise me that she thought that. I don't think she knows all the cast members by heart....yet!