snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 16 July 2017, 04:46 PM

United Kingdom Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

Quote:
She was revealed in a Doctor Who trailer that was broadcast on BBC One at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin...
Old 16 July 2017, 04:52 PM

Oh I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing, it's going to be delicious.

I'm not familiar with the actor they've chosen for the role but I have no doubts she'll be fine.
Old 16 July 2017, 06:57 PM

I started reading the comments on the Facebook group and had to quickly retreat for my own sanity. Nothing like something like this to remind you that misogyny is alive and well in the world!

That said, yay for her! I know her from Attack the Block and Broadchurch and I'm sure she'll make a fine addition to the roster.
Old 16 July 2017, 08:41 PM

Seen on Twitter (can't find the exact tweet atm):

Female Doctor will be boring because she'll spend half of every episode explaining that she's not a nurse.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:13 AM

The last I heard was the speculation that her Broadchurch co-star Olive Colman was favourite. I wonder if they did that deliberately or if someone heard female Doctor and Broadchurch cast member and made that conclusion.

Broadchurch and Dr Who share few cast members now.

It will interesting to see what happens.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:30 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Oh I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing, it's going to be delicious.
Yes, it is. I need to track down a mug that says "Dudebros Tears." Because I know there are mugs that say "Liberal Tears" but there needs to be a mug that says "Dudebro Tears" on it. Because for all their talk about SJWs and PC or whatever BS they hate, the dudebros are the whiniest, most hypersensitive crybabies around.

I've been on the fence about getting into Doctor Who. One, because I'm intimidated by the massive amounts of continuity and two, because the fandom scares the crap out of me. There doesn't seem to be such thing as a casual Doctor Who fan. It's a phrase that doesn't seem to come up often, much as you don't hear of someone being referred to as a Heroin Fancier. Your average Whovian seems to be the type who has their room decorated like the Tardis, complete with a real doll made up to look like their favorite Doctor. Also they understand at least one of the show's fictional language.

But knowing how much this cheeses off dudebros, it might force me to bite the bullet and give it a shot. I suppose I should stop getting interested in and liking stuff out of spite, but I don't think I will.

Fun Facts Learned Thanks to Dudebros: While adding more PoC and women to a franchise is pandering, having Entertainment feature all White Dudes all the time, in no way qualifies as pandering nor can it be construed as sending some kind of message.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
There doesn't seem to be such thing as a casual Doctor Who fan. It's a phrase that doesn't seem to come up often, much as you don't hear of someone being referred to as a Heroin Fancier. Your average Whovian seems to be the type who has their room decorated like the Tardis, complete with a real doll made up to look like their favorite Doctor. Also they understand at least one of the show's fictional language.
Hi, I'm a casual Dr. Who fan. I enjoy watching the show -- specifically the new series; I haven't really seen any "classic" Dr. Who. I don't have any Dr. Who decor. I don't even really have a favorite Doctor. Nor do I do any of those other things.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be such thing as a casual Doctor Who fan. It's a phrase that doesn't seem to come up often, much as you don't hear of someone being referred to as a Heroin Fancier. Your average Whovian seems to be the type who has their room decorated like the Tardis, complete with a real doll made up to look like their favorite Doctor. Also they understand at least one of the show's fictional language.

Ok Mouse you know enough about the Dr Who fans on this site to know that this isn't true and secondly there isn't a fictional language in Dr Who as far as I can remember. I think you are mixing us up with Star Trek fans.

Ooh spanked by Wildabeast.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:05 AM

I liked the original Dr Who when I was a kid watching VHS recordings from the John Pertwey and Tom Baker eras, but the sheer volume of works in the modern Dr Who has been off-putting.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:57 AM

I know I saw some as a kid, but I didn't follow it then. I've watched from the beginning of the new series (9th Doctor) until Capaldi took over. I went cold on it then, but I'm interested to see it again now. Except I don't have BBC America anymore. (Bummed. But pretty clearly a casual fan.)

Making up stereotypes might be a fun.pastime? writing exercise?, but it sounds like it might actually be a deterrent from enjoyable things sometimes.
Old 17 July 2017, 05:09 AM

I used to be a HUGE fan when I was younger but these days I'd describe myself as a casual fan.

The old 70s Dr Who were incredibly influential on me as a young monkey, I even ended up making a full sized replica TARDIS and a classic Dalek costume and used to perform as a Dalek comedian in comedy clubs way back before the current Who revival. I was never really that crazy about Peter Davison, Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy in the role. I was a casual fan during the David Tennant/Matt Smith era and although I really loved Peter Capaldi in the role I wasn't much of a fan of the scripts they were giving him and I gradually drifted away. I only watched the first few episodes of the latest series and then didn't bother with the rest, only catching up up when people started posting about how good the final two episodes had been.

I have some friends who are still HUGE Dr Who fans and they're all really excited about having a female Doctor.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:24 AM

I was going to say I'm a casual fan since the only merch I have is a TARDIS shaped tea strainer and a magnet but I did watch the classic episodes in rerun on my local PBS station and have seen most of the newer series. Anyway, continuity be damned. I tend to let episodes wash over me and appreciate the story in front of me. Not too many shows give me a sense of wonderment and have some commentary on the human condition.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:25 AM

Hi, my name is Don Enrico, and I'm a casual Dr Who fan (Hi, Don Enrico).

I encountered the show as a British cultural phenomenon, and started watching it when the new shows came out on German tv. I own some DVDs and got into some of the continuity, but the only merchandise we have is a set of sonic pliers that is resting in my wife's car to be used on stubborn garage doors and traffic jams.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I've been on the fence about getting into Doctor Who. One, because I'm intimidated by the massive amounts of continuity ...
I don't think there really is that much continuity between the various series / stories. Or at least, it's there but it's a background thing. I watched occasionally as a child (Tom Baker / Peter Davison era - I mostly missed Tom Baker but might have watched it more often if he'd stayed as Doctor) and lately I have the Christopher Ecclestone series on DVD and have maybe seen a couple of Christmas specials apart from that, but as long as you know the general premise, it's easy enough to watch standalone episodes.

I suppose it's like comic books. One reason I never got really into comics was that I was worried by all the classic continuity and always think I should be reading things from the beginning. But I doubt they're as into that stuff as I think either.

Doctor Who certainly isn't - if you have a series, especially a children's series (which it basically is / was), that's carried on for 54 years, for most of which there was no way for most people to watch older episodes, then you can hardly expect your whole audience to have watched it from the beginning. It needs to be designed to easily pick up new viewers each year.
Old 17 July 2017, 02:01 PM

Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Johnny Whittaker who played Jodie on Family Affair? Just me? Ok.

Anyway I haven't seen Dr Who in years and of course I know there are casual fans but in defense of Mouse most of the people I know who are Dr Who fans are pretty hard core. Casual fans don't talk about it and don't, oddly, have tardis magnets on their car or serve tea in a tardis teapot. Not that I've noticed anyway .
Old 17 July 2017, 02:31 PM

I haven't watched in years, but I have a standee of the 10th Doctor on my bedroom wall (also one of TOS Spock).
Old 17 July 2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

Broadchurch and Dr Who share few cast members now.
With the last two St Trinian's movies.
Old 17 July 2017, 05:17 PM

Glasses

I'm a very casual fan.... but was thrilled to ride an escalator with Sylvester McCoy at a convention.

Morning

also had a picture taken with John de Lancie
Old 17 July 2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I used to be a HUGE fan when I was younger but these days I'd describe myself as a casual fan.
That was me regarding Star Trek when I was in middle school (when TNG was still on the air). I never missed an episode, read as many of the novels as I could, built models of the Enterprise and a Klingon Bird of Prey. I subscribed to the official fan club magazine. I wanted a "real" Starfleet uniform, communicator badge, and phaser, so I could go as a Starfleet officer for Halloween, but my parents wouldn't pay for them so I had to make due with a homemade version. Nowadays I still enjoy the show, but I'm not that fanatical about it like I was back then.
Old 17 July 2017, 06:21 PM

Eh. I haven't watched more than a handful of episodes since David Tennant was the Doctor, and I am now fully convinced that I liked his Doctor and Rose, and pretty much don't care about the series in general. Didn't like Matt Smith at all in the few I saw before stopping watching him, and didn't like Capaldi when I saw him. Eccleston was decent, and what brought me into the show.
She'll probably do a fine job for people that are Doctor Who fans. I'll probably give a few episodes a go, just to see. But she will have to be really, really good for me to get back into the show.