snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 17 July 2017, 10:54 AM

Default Neighbors mourn woman fatally shot by police officer in Minneapolis

Quote:
A 40-year-old woman who family members said called 911 to report a possible assault in the alley behind her home Saturday night was fatally shot by a Minneapolis police officer.

The shooting happened at the end of the alley on W. 51st Street between Washburn and Xerxes avenues S. in the cityís Fulton neighborhood.

The woman, Justine Damond, from Sydney, Australia, and her fiancť lived in the 5000 block of Washburn.

Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driverís side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driverís side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.
http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1
Old 17 July 2017, 11:52 AM

So now you are safer if you suspect a crime is occurring to not call the police. Way to go Minneapolis.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:01 PM

So apparently police in Minneapolis feel it necessary to shoot to death unarmed women in their pyjamas. I must say it makes a refreshing change from their usual targets (tongue firmly in cheek, people). And how convenient that their body cameras were not turned on. Is anyone surprised anymore? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Honestly, though, the whole police system needs a serious overhaul, and fast. Given the state of the police in a good chunk of states, is it any wonder desire to travel to the U.S. is hemorrhaging at an alarming rate.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driverís side door, sources said.
So he fired. . . across his partner? He must have been terrified about what the unarmed woman in pajamas was going to do next.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:19 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post

Honestly, though, the whole police system needs a serious overhaul, and fast. Given the state of the police in a good chunk of states, is it any wonder desire to travel to the U.S. is hemorrhaging at an alarming rate.
Absolutely. I have no idea what the stats are and can only speak personally here but I know very few people who are planning trips to the US right now. Mainly this is because Trump is president but it's also because of the perception (whether it's accurate or not) that violence, especially gun violence, in the US has become a bigger concern than it once was.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:28 PM

Re: violence in general, the perception is not accurate. Re: your chances of getting shot by a nervous cop, it may be more accurate.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:29 PM

I know in my case, I've imposed a 4 year moratorium on myself on travelling to the U.S. as a matter of principle. I did had to break it once, not by choice, I had to travel to Detroit for my father's one-year memorial mass. Other than that, I'm not stepping foot in the States.

As an aside, I'm also of Middle Eastern descent (Christian, though, not Muslim), so I'm always wary crossing into the U.S. given that some of my family members have had the occasional issue at the border in the past. But given the state of Trump's America right now and some of the behaviour of some of the power-happy border guards, I just don't want to take that chance right now.

If anything, maybe I'll get a chance to finally see more of my own country. I've barely been outside of Ontario, and that's shameful, really.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
I know in my case, I've imposed a 4 year moratorium on myself on travelling to the U.S. as a matter of principle.
This is true for me as well. As long as Trump is president my family and I have no intention of travelling to the US. Based solely on the people I know (so clearly a very scientific survey) there are a lot of us out there who've taken this stand.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:47 PM

Wonder what excuse they'll use this time. I mean, the victim wasn't black so the usual "thought she was threatening me/looked like a suspect/she was resisting" card won't work, right?
Old 17 July 2017, 05:53 PM

You just can't trust those young white female yoga instructors these days.....

...and I just made myself literally sick to my stomach writing that.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Wonder what excuse they'll use this time. I mean, the victim wasn't black so the usual "thought she was threatening me/looked like a suspect/she was resisting" card won't work, right?
'It was a tragic accident, completely unpreventable, the price we have to pay now and then to be assured that the streets are kept safe from danger (such as the danger of trigger-happy people with guns. Er, trigger-happy people with guns who aren't in uniform, that is)'
Old 17 July 2017, 07:30 PM

Icon103

Let's keep speculating. That'll help!
Old 17 July 2017, 07:34 PM

Only if the speculation puts the officers involved in the worst possible light.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:35 PM

No, what will help is actually training police officers not to go off all guns blazing during every single incident that may occur on their watch. Regardless of the colour of the skin or sex or whatever of individual being stopped.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:49 PM

Clearly that doesn't happen or there would be a whole lot more police shooting incidents.

We don't know what happened here.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Only if the speculation puts the officers involved in the worst possible light.
There's a possible light in which "police officer shoots unarmed woman who called 911 to report a disturbance" actually looks good?

We've apparently had 661 people fatally shot by police this year. While that might not seem like all that much compared to the number of people killed in traffic accidents or accidental drownings, it still seems like an overly high number.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
We don't know what happened here.
We might if the officers involved had had their body cameras turned on. It's suspicious how rarely that happens in these sort of incidents.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:07 PM

That number includes all shootings. The Washington Post's study shows that 71% of those shot were armed with a knife or gun. While that doesn't prove that the shooting was justified, not all of those 661 cases were like this one.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:07 PM

Which amounts to we know very little yet. Speculation doesn't help the situation at all. We don't even know what body cam procedures are for the police in Minneapolis. Maybe they normally have them turned off when they are in the car. That's the thing we don't know.

I don't disagree that the number is overly high. It is clearly too high, but that tells us nothing about this incident.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:15 PM

Body cameras weren't on because the officers had not exited the car. The only reason for the officer firing across his partner is that he "saw" a gun in the victim's hands.

ETA: The dash cam should have picked up the victim standing in the alley waiting for the police.