snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 02 September 2016, 04:12 PM

Hush puppies are amazing, but I don't think I've ever had them with salmon. Usually catfish. I could see it, maybe, but also maybe not.
Old 02 September 2016, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I am used to having them with fried fish, but then I was recently in South Carolina and at one restaurant they were served will all the fish entrees, including grilled, broiled, etc. FWIW I had grilled grouper with a Caribbean style sauce.

Now that I think of it, at a local restaurant (that I think is a chain) with a southwest flare, in the dinner salads the croutons are toasted or fried cornbread pieces, and I am pretty sure I have had that with salmon.

Anyway, I can imagine a preparation of salmon with a preparation of something that could be called corn muffin somewhere working.

ETA: So I googled Salmon and corn muffins, and the first hit is a recipe that says it is taken from the Australia Women's Weekly Best Seafood. It is an actual muffin, where you mix canned salmon and creamed corn into the muffin recipe. The base of the muffin is regular (wheat) flour, not cornmeal. Not at all what I was imagining. It does sound a bit odd.

Sorry for the hopefully tasty tangent.

Last edited by Dr. Dave; 02 September 2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03 September 2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Given that similar items have different names, and similar names are for different items in UK-US-OZ, I thought I'd ask. Sorry if I am way off-base:

In regions of the US, we have hush puppies, which are more or less deep fried cornbread, and served with fish. Could the dish you mention be someting similar?
Well in Australia Hush Puppies are a brand of shoe so yeah. Actually I am not sure if they are even made anymore.

I don't eat seafood so I don't go looking for it but I have a feeling the availability of fresh salmon is a fairly recent thing in Australia is being a cold water fish. A lot of the salmon eating in Australia especially in the home rather then in a restaurant would be canned.

Last edited by Dasla; 03 September 2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03 September 2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Ha, I've somehow acquired (via my mum) the Australian Women's Weekly book of The Best Seafood Recipes. She was given a copy for one of her charity sales, and gave it to me when I mentioned that there was a good new fishmonger in town and I needed recipes.

I've not found anything terribly odd in it so far apart from one of those jellied salmon mould things that probably turn up in the Gallery of Regrettable Food, and the ingredients I've got no chance of getting even in our nice fishmonger, like Balmain bugs. There are a few odd bits like "salmon and corn muffins" as well. I haven't tried any recipes from it yet, so I don't know how they hold up.
Just to be clear I was actually saying how good the Women's Weekly Cookbooks were and very popular here. The mistake was in a cookbook by another publisher.

Quote:
Given that similar items have different names, and similar names are for different items in UK-US-OZ, I thought I'd ask. Sorry if I am way off-base:

In regions of the US, we have hush puppies, which are more or less deep fried cornbread, and served with fish. Could the dish you mention be someting similar?
No generally muffins here are baked not fried. They tend to me sweet but I have seen savoury ones.
Old 03 September 2016, 02:43 AM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
But canned salmon is very common. And I am guessing until the last few decades the only salmon readily available.
New Zealand is supposed to have excellent salmon. I know it is not as close to Oz as many of us on the other side assume, but still no further away than Alaska is from the US east coast, where fresh Alaskan salmon has been available for a long time.
Old 03 September 2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
New Zealand is supposed to have excellent salmon. I know it is not as close to Oz as many of us on the other side assume, but still no further away than Alaska is from the US east coast, where Alaskan salmon has been available for a long time.
Are but you see we have such excellent warm water or reef fish available here, that was usually the seafood of choice. My Dad generally likes to catch his own fish but if he does order fish in a restaurant, he doesn't order salmon.

And in case anyone is interested Balmain Bugs or Moreton Bay Bugs are a type of horseshoe crab closely related to the shovel nosed lobster. I had to look it up as we just called them bugs, but I knew they were called something else over there.
Old 04 September 2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
ETA: So I googled Salmon and corn muffins, and the first hit is a recipe that says it is taken from the Australia Women's Weekly Best Seafood. It is an actual muffin, where you mix canned salmon and creamed corn into the muffin recipe. The base of the muffin is regular (wheat) flour, not cornmeal. Not at all what I was imagining. It does sound a bit odd.
That sounds like the one, yes... Its full title in the book is "Salmon and corn muffins with cheese spread", as the serving suggestion is to put cheese spread on them. (Made with cream cheese, chives, cream and lemon juice).
Old 06 September 2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
And in case anyone is interested Balmain Bugs or Moreton Bay Bugs are a type of horseshoe crab closely related to the shovel nosed lobster. I had to look it up as we just called them bugs, but I knew they were called something else over there.
Moreton Bay Bugs (Thenus orientalis) are slipper lobsters. Horseshoe crabs are something completely different.

Bugs are very delicious, however. One of the highlights of my only visit to Australia was having bugs for dinner.
Old 06 September 2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Well in Australia Hush Puppies are a brand of shoe so yeah. Actually I am not sure if they are even made anymore.
There's a brand of shoes by that name in the US, too. Not sure of the relationship between the food and the shoe, but I'm guessing it has to do with calling feet "dogs" and saying that they're "barking" when they're sore (since the food was so named because people gave it to the dog to stop it whining for the main course).

ETA: And we seem to use the term "muffin" in the same way, too.
Old 25 May 2017, 12:47 AM

One of my high school summer jobs was in the kitchen of a church-run camp. One weekend was reserved for the state women's organization, and they always wanted a salad luncheon, so the cooks were always looking for new salad recipes.

I think this was supposed to be a frozen coleslaw. I don't remember the details, but it was shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, vinegar, and spices all mixed up and put in a container in the freezer for a couple days. When it came out, it was an almost fluorescent purple with threads of day-glo orange courtesy of the carrots. I have no idea what it tasted like, because no one would eat it. It was pulled out of the freezer on leftover days, and then shoved back in untouched, until it was finally thrown out at the end of the camping season. The staff dubbed it "Purple Yuck".
Old 25 May 2017, 01:21 AM

Koshka, that cabbage dish sounds pretty good to me, though it might depend on the spices. I'd certainly be willing to give it a try.

But then, I'm not the least thrown by purple and orange vegetables. Sell quite a few of them at farmers' market, in fact.
Old 25 May 2017, 11:04 AM

It sounds like one of those recipes that would have been made with aspic. (A trend I am okay with having been before my lifetime )
Old 25 May 2017, 01:51 PM

With aspic?! Now I don't want to try it after all!

-- would aspic even work with vinegar? ETA: apparently yes, judging by the number of recipes found via google --
Old 25 May 2017, 07:46 PM

As far as I can tell from some vintage recipe pages I've seen- you can aspic just about anything if you get creative enough- your own personal squick factor is the only restriction

edit: I'm glad a post about aspic is my 666th post.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:10 PM

This recipe isn't particularly odd -- basically just chicken and some vegetables sautéed with garlic and basil and little broth and served over pasta. Basically a take on pasta primavera. Except the instructions tell you to add grated parmesan cheese to the pan in the same step where you add the broth and basil, while everything's still cooking. This just results in a lump of melted cheese mixed in with the chicken and vegetables. You'd be better off just tossing everything with cheese away from the heat after it's done cooking.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:26 PM

I have the cookbook A Feast of Ice and Fire, full of recipes based on things mentioned in the books. They generally have a modern and medieval version.
Some of them are quite good. The beef and bacon pie has become a favorite, as has onions in gravy. But there are some strange ones.
Based solely on the name, fish tarts has always stood out as an odd one. Then I read the ingredients, and it is basically dates, almonds, figs, and poached salmon inside a pastry crust. The modern version is cream cheese, cream, sage, blackberries, and the smoked fish of your choice wrapped in a pastry crust.
Old 18 July 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
This recipe isn't particularly odd -- basically just chicken and some vegetables sautéed with garlic and basil and little broth and served over pasta. Basically a take on pasta primavera. Except the instructions tell you to add grated parmesan cheese to the pan in the same step where you add the broth and basil, while everything's still cooking. This just results in a lump of melted cheese mixed in with the chicken and vegetables. You'd be better off just tossing everything with cheese away from the heat after it's done cooking.
One of my go-to recipes calls for the same thing, and I don't recall having the lump of cheese problem during cooking- it was fresh parmesan from a block and managed to melt in evenly with the rest of the sauce- but I did stop including that in the cooking part of the recipe because it made scraping the skillet out to save leftovers a (literal) drag.
Old 18 July 2017, 12:56 AM

The thing is this is a recipe that doesn't have much other liquid in it. Basically just a small amount of broth to deglaze the pan after sautéing the meat and vegetables. So there isn't really any sauce for the cheese to melt in with. So you either end up with melted cheese stuck to the meat and veggies, or like I experienced the other day, a lump of melted cheese. It would be different if this was making something like an alfredo sauce.
Old 18 July 2017, 01:02 AM

If you listen to recordings of the Jack Benny radio show from the late 1930s to the early 1940s, you'll hear announcer Don Wilson eagerly reeling off Jell-O recipes that would gag a maggot. One was a ham salad and raspberry aspic.
Old 18 July 2017, 02:00 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
If you listen to recordings of the Jack Benny radio show from the late 1930s to the early 1940s, you'll hear announcer Don Wilson eagerly reeling off Jell-O recipes that would gag a maggot. One was a ham salad and raspberry aspic.
Speaking of aspic, I remember my cousin's reaction when his mom was eating head cheese. He asked what that jelly-like stuff was, and she said it was aspic. His reply: "They must call it that because it's like something you'd pick off your ass."