snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 27 November 2018, 01:18 AM

Default PM Scott Morrison tells students striking over climate change to “be less activist”

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-less-activist

He’s probably never going to live down his “Coalaphobia” speech.

Quote:
The prime minister implored children to stay in class rather than protesting things that “can be dealt with outside of school”.

“Each day I send my kids to school and I know other members’ kids should also go to school but we do not support our schools being turned into parliaments,” Morrison told parliament on Monday.

“What we want is more learning in schools and less activism in schools.”
…what on earth is he on? I know he’s an old rich white guy who at least isn’t as far right as Dutton or Abbott but how did he not learn about politics in school? His Wikipedia page says he graduated high school in 1985, and my high school had a political education unit in 1996.
Old 27 November 2018, 01:29 AM

He wants kids to learn to follow his politics and be good little robots instead of thinking for themselves and realizing what a raging hemorrhoid he is.
Old 27 November 2018, 07:27 AM

It's a reasoning I've come across before (especially when I was an activist student myself, in the 1980's) - they want students to learn about democraty, the parliament, even the history of democratic fights (be it suffrage, unions or independence), but they don't want students to learn how to actually practise democraty by demonstrations, protests, campaigns or other actions.

You could compare it to sex education.
Old 27 November 2018, 08:47 AM

Well, in America they don't want to tell you about any of the things involved in sex, either.
Old 27 November 2018, 12:02 PM

"Care less about the future."
Old 27 November 2018, 02:22 PM

'Think for yourselves! That will of course lead you to agree with me!'
Old 28 November 2018, 04:47 AM

Mouse

The response to the Parkland kids seems to fall along similar lines.

Adults: Bah, these kids spend all their time Facebooking and Instagramming. Why can’t they care about important matters, rather than all the latest about the Kardashians?

Kids *proceed to organize a major political movement because innocent people are being killed, and the government is too busy sucking the NRA’s collective ***** to do anything, even if it is to just have a discussion about the problem of gun violence in this country.

Adults: I didn’t mean like that!

Kids, speaking as one of those Milennials who will someday destroy civilization, take it from me that no matter what you do, the generation in power will hate you. If you care about stuff like movies and television, they’ll hate you, but they will also do the same if you care about gun violence and climate change. On some level, they know they have massively screwed you over and rather than admit to their mistakes, they’ve gone with the age-old strategy of blame the victims. So be yourselves, fly your freak flags high, and fight for what matters to you, regardless of what people like the PM say.
Old 28 November 2018, 05:11 AM

Japan

"Try not to think so much!"
—Dr. Rawlins (Nigel Havers), Empire of the Sun
Old 28 November 2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Kids, speaking as one of those Milennials who will someday destroy civilization, take it from me that no matter what you do, the generation in power will hate you.
It's funny, the far right ones are rarely described as Millennials and never used as examples of what's wrong with kids these days, yet it's the far right youth that actually do have a good chance of messing up our society thanks to the recent mobilisation of extreme right-wingery.

Who is more likely to cause harm, a liberal Millennial who is maybe a tad oversensitive about certain issues or a Millennial who also happens to be a neo-Nazi?