snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 28 November 2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I remember one news report I heard a few months back, I'm pretty sure it was on Public Radio's Marketplace, stated that the fuel economy for all vehicles has improved quite a bit over the past decade.
Thanks in no small part to fleet fuel economy requirements (That the car makers fought tooth and nail.)

That's true for some vehicles. Trucks don't seem all that much better. Two years ago, when my car was in the body shop for repairs, my loaner was a brand new 1/2 ton Silverado. Even though it was equipped with a 4/6/8 engine management system, and start/stop technology, the mileage was still shockingly low. 17/18mpg, compared to the 40mpg per tankful average I'm used to with my Cruze.

I drive 61 miles each way to work, 4 days a week. No way I'd be able to afford that beast. (It felt like I was herding a battle cruiser down the highway.)
Old 28 November 2018, 04:05 AM

I can drive 100 miles in my Prius for about $8. The same 100 miles in the Jag would be more than $40. If I drive to the office five days a week that's would be $64 vs $320 a week.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:46 PM

Because of where I live, I am hearing mostly about the Oshawa plant shut down. The ripple effect could devastate the city.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...r-fallout.html

Luckily my dad long, long ago retired...27 years ago. He worked most of his life for GM (until GM bought EDS and he was moved to that company). He started at GM programming the line using punch cards. My sister, brother and I all worked summer jobs at GM or EDS when we were in university.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:49 PM

A GM plant in Baltimore County is on the list; I heard on the news last night that no state or county official was informed of this. Needless to say, they are not happy to hear the news.
Old 28 November 2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
...Even if GM built a car that was every bit as good as a Toyota, I suspect most people would still buy the Toyota simply because Toyota has built a reputation for good cars over the past 50 years, and GM has not.
Really? Have people really forgotten about the billion dollars Toyota had to shell out for the runaway acceleration problem? Sure, a lot of it came down to driver error, but the floor mat issue and the pedal design issue were still major contributors.
Old 28 November 2018, 03:35 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Part of the reason given is that more and more people are buying SUVs and trucks.
I have been driving small trucks for over 30 years, now. All three of them got in the neighborhood of 26 mpg highway.

When I replace my current truck, the vehicle I'm looking at is a Subaru Ascent. Why? Because I want 4-wheel drive, and enough room to sleep in the vehicle when camping (I'm probably one of the 5 people who actually liked the Pontiac Aztek). The Ascent measures 86" from the back of the front seat to the inside of the hatch. To me, it's a plus that it gets about the same gas mileage as the vehicle I already have.

Of course, by the time I buy it (should everything go according to plan), I will no longer have a daily commute. How often it gets driven and where will depend on my place of residence when I acquire it.

Seaboe
Old 28 November 2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Really? Have people really forgotten about the billion dollars Toyota had to shell out for the runaway acceleration problem? Sure, a lot of it came down to driver error, but the floor mat issue and the pedal design issue were still major contributors.
I haven't forgotten it, but for me that incident doesn't outweigh 50 years of dependability and strong resale value.
Old 28 November 2018, 07:17 PM

I read an article that even Toyota is probably going to cut down their car lineup in the US. The Camry, Corolla and Prius are untouchable, but all their other cars are vulnerable. Americans just don't buy cars as much anymore. Obviously Toyota still has a few car models that sell well, but even they will probably shift the rest of their lineup to focus on SUVs.

I'm still mad at Ford's plans to cut the Fusion. The rest of their cars (save the Mustang) are pretty useless, but the Fusion is a nice vehicle. My husband, the Ford employee, is driving a hybrid one right now.
Old 28 November 2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
I read an article that even Toyota is probably going to cut down their car lineup in the US. The Camry, Corolla and Prius are untouchable, but all their other cars are vulnerable. Americans just don't buy cars as much anymore. Obviously Toyota still has a few car models that sell well, but even they will probably shift the rest of their lineup to focus on SUVs.
That's what I've seen predicted elsewhere. Regular sedans aren't going to go away completely, but possibly only the absolutely most popular ones will remain in the US a few years from now as companies shift their focus to trucks and SUVs. So for those who do still want a sedan the choices might be limited to the Toyota Camry, Corolla, and Prius, Honda Civic and Accord, maybe the Nissan Altima and a couple of others.

ETA: That's really not all that different from what happened to minivans when that market got taken over by SUVs. In the 1990s and 2000s most car makers had a minivan of some sort in their lineup. Now if you want one you've got I think four choices: Dodge/Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and Kia.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 28 November 2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 29 November 2018, 03:34 PM

Roll eyes Trump downplays GM plant closings, repeats false claim about steel plants

President Donald Trump, in a tweet early Thursday morning, downplayed General Motorsí announcement it was shuttering several U.S. factories and laying off thousands of American workers, claiming it was an anomaly among the broader "booming" U.S. economy.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=59490457
Old 29 November 2018, 03:36 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
President Donald Trump, in a tweet early Thursday morning, downplayed General Motorsí announcement it was shuttering several U.S. factories and laying off thousands of American workers, claiming it was an anomaly among the broader "booming" U.S. economy.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=59490457
Wiggle like a glow worm, dance like a spinning top...

~Chuck Berry