snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 07 November 2018, 01:41 PM

Spit Take

Patton Oswalt's brother Matt wins the Internet...

Old 07 November 2018, 01:43 PM

So -- that was kind of a mixed bag, wasn't it?

Still digesting things here. At least the Dems took the house -- that makes a major difference. And some of the state-level gains may make quite a bit of difference in the long run.

And Nevada appears to have elected a dead man; though that's not quite as nonsensical as it looks on the face of it, as it was in effect a vote to have a Republican-to-be-named-later in the seat instead of the Democratic opponent. (Whether that in itself is nonsensical is rather a matter of opinion -- )
Old 07 November 2018, 02:04 PM

As a D in a strong R county I was not surprised too much by the election results, though the closeness of several big races was interesting. I have to admit that for the first time in over forty years I voted straight party line. An exercise in futility, to be sure, but it was a statement.

What was odd, and encouraging, was that my mother-in-law, a once strong Trump supporter, voted straight D as well. She said she is tired of the lies.

While that was encouraging on a personal level, I have to admit that I was discouraged by the large number of folks that believe the lies and fear mongering. I guess I need to ramp up my efforts. I'm looking at you, sharer of the Soros was a Nazi meme. "It just seems like that is the kind of thing he would do" is neither an excuse or reason.
Old 07 November 2018, 02:44 PM

The candidate I worked for is less than 2000 votes behind with 4000 absentee ballots to be counted. Xochitl, I have my figures crossed.

And Beto, I'm sorry you lost. I was hoping but you campaigned too nice.
Old 07 November 2018, 02:54 PM

The front-page BBC headline at the moment is:

Trump hails 'big victory' despite losses
Old 07 November 2018, 03:02 PM

I don't know how Trump can claim victory, he got almost 63 million less votes than he did in 2016 and got zero electoral college votes.
Old 07 November 2018, 07:29 PM

Well, that didn't take long...

Trump rips Republicans who defied him, threatens to retaliate over Dem investigations

Quote:
President Donald Trump, in a remarkable and contentious post-midterm press conference Wednesday from the East Room, hailed bipartisanship and insisted he "stopped the blue wave," referring to the expectation of big Democratic wins. But soon after, the press conference took a turn, and while standing at the podium the president quarreled with Democrats, the press, and even members of his own party.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=59028453
Old 07 November 2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
There's a group called "San Diego Democrats for Equality" which focuses heavily on LGBT issues, and I will generally follow their recommendations unless someone can give me a compelling reason not to.
I use similar resources for some things that I don't know enough about, but for others if it's not clear I want to dig into it more. Plus I didn't find a sufficiently localized equivalent to cover all the non-statewide votes.

One issue where I diverged from the Democratic endorsement was Prop 10. While it's just clearing the way for rent control rather than enacting a specific form of rent control, most of the rent control schemes that I'm familiar with are just fundamentally bad economics, with unpleasant unintended side effects. It's not just a landlord vs. tenant issue, it's pretty much a lose-lose for most people that can hurt the very renters it's meant to help. If you want cheaper housing, there's pretty much no alternative but to build it. There isn't a shortcut to just legislate a limited housing supply to be affordable.

After fairly unsurprising midterms, one thing that I'm personally happy about is that Prop 6 failed. There's a construction project near my house that's been in limbo for many years, that finally got funding after the gas tax. It's all set to start construction in 2019, with the condition that it would be canceled if Prop 6 passed. Now there's no question that it will happen, and there will be a new mixed use off road bicycle and pedestrian trail that goes past my neighborhood to the beach, making it much shorter, faster, and safer to go there without a car (and if you're in a car, now there's more parking, less traffic, and no bicycles on the shoulder to share the road with). Plus it's a quiet, local part of the beach with a dog friendly area rather than a busy touristy beach like the one I could walk to without this trail.

Last edited by Errata; 07 November 2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07 November 2018, 08:57 PM

Errata, I was conflicted about Prop 10 for the reasons you cite, but ended up voting yes. I gave some weight to the LA Times endorsement, some to my personal experiences of living in and hearing from others who've lived in rent-controlled apartments (and those that weren't rent-controlled in gentrifying neighborhoods), and some to the fact that, as you said, it just permits it rather than enacting it. I don't think it's a great solution, but I don't know if a great solution exists.

Have you read Evicted by Matthew Desmond? IIRC it doesn't take a strong position on this particular issue, but it compares some of the low-income housing solutions that have been tried, including building "projects" and issuing vouchers (i.e. Section 8) and shows the drawbacks and disappointments with each even when they've been successfully implemented over the howls of conservatives. It's a fascinating read, if a bit depressing at times.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:25 PM

For me, the conflict was on Prop 8. While I think it addressed legitimate issues -- problems with the quality and availability of dialysis care -- I was not at all convinced that it was the right way to address them. Most of the Democratic groups endorsed it, but that, I think, was mainly attributable to the fact that it was largely sponsored by large service workers unions. Of course, I do generally support unions, but they are a special interest group, and their interests are not always in synch with public interests.

An acquaintance who is a dialysis patient urged people to support it. An old friend who is a physician urged equally strongly a vote against.

I finally went with No, but I didn't feel entirely good about it.

One thing almost everyone I know agreed on is that it was probably an issue too complex to address via a ballot proposition, which was another factor in my No vote. That's the kind of thing that needs to be studied and evaluated by informed committees, and there needs to be flexibility to adjust any legislation that turns out not to work as hoped. I hope the legislature will now take it up.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
After fairly unsurprising midterms, one thing that I'm personally happy about is that Prop 6 failed.
The road I take to work every day is in ridiculously poor condition. The county is finally repaving at least the worst portions. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the gas tax or if it's just a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were related.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The road I take to work every day is in ridiculously poor condition. The county is finally repaving at least the worst portions. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the gas tax or if it's just a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were related.
Here is a map of projects the gas tax funding is going toward.

http://rebuildingca.ca.gov/map.html

It includes, for instance, $10 million of state funding toward repaving the stretch of US 50 going through Folsom. And it's in planning stages for potentially hundreds of millions of improvements to the stretch of the same road that continues through Sacramento.

There's been a definite uptick in the number of road maintenance projects statewide in the past year since the tax was implemented.
Old 08 November 2018, 01:06 AM

Mouse

I had hoped to get Markwayne Mullin out of office and Drew Edmondson into office, but that didnít happen. I didnít really have high hopes for it anyway. Oklahoma is very much a red state, the buckle of the Bible Belt, and is pretty much owned and operated by the Good Olí Boys network. Youíre lucky if you can get anyone into power who isnít a rich white guy born on third base but thinks he hit a triple.

Since I live in the Texahoma area, I got hit with ads for Texas and Oklahoma candidates. So I was also pulling for Beto OíRourke because Ted Cruz is malfunctioning, soulless automaton trying to masquerade as a human, but that didnít happen.

From what I heard, it was a close one so at least, Ted had to fight for it. The GOP is so stuffed full of Guys Born On Third Base. Itís why they throw so many hissies whenever faced with any kind of resistance. They had gotten used to always having doors magically open for them just because of who they are, that when faced with anyone who doesnít automatically give them what they want because they want it, they lose their shit. The very idea that they have to prove themselves worthy of something, sends them into an emotional tailspin. Hence why even if we donít win, we can take heart in that our resistance forced them to actually have to fight for something for the first time in their lives.

And while I donít live in Florida and generally have it tied with Texas when it comes to ďWorst State,Ē I applaud the voters for passing Amendment 4 and giving the vote back to a million people who had been denied it for too long.
Old 08 November 2018, 01:23 AM

Looks like Florida's headed for a recount in our senator race. I voted by mail, and according to my county, my vote was received but is still being tabulated along with thousands of other vote-by-mail, overseas, and provisional ballots. Considering there's over 30,000 votes we'd need for a Democratic win, the odds of all these yet-uncounted ballots pushing us over the edge to win aren't good, but the race is within the margin for a mandatory recount.

And in Monroe County, the Senator's race hinged on a single vote. Now, in this case one county isn't enough to affect the outcome of the state-wide race as a whole, but if this were a local election it would be a great example of how every vote counts.
Old 08 November 2018, 03:35 AM

United States

The outcome for Minnesota went as well as the DFL party could have hoped for. The entire executive branch is firmly in the hands of the Democrats. The state legislature, which had been under Republican control for the last two years, is now split. Mirroring the national legislature, the state senate is controlled by the Republicans, while the DFL took the house back.

What surprised me was that the southern suburban area we moved to 20 years ago, which has ALWAYS been firmly and solidly in Rupublican hands, kicked out one-term incumbant Jason Lewis, a former far-right radio talk show hack and elected Angie Craig, who narrowly lost to Lewis two years ago. It's the first time since I moved here that the US representative from this district has been a Democrat. In another disctrict, Democrat Dean Phillips captured an area that's been in the Republican column since 1960. I had an inkling starting about a month ago that something was up, when I started seeing a LOT more DFL lawn signs in my neighborhood than I'm used to seeing.

I voted around 6pm, along with DW. The polling place was quiet and the election workers were organised and efficient. They were using a new electronic check-in system that seemed to work nicely.
Old 08 November 2018, 03:57 AM

Are "Florida recount" jokes considered cliched at this point?

More seriously, it seems as thought there must be something about Florida's unique mix of demographics that causes them to regularly have extremely close elections.
Old 08 November 2018, 12:29 PM

Default Arizona GOP sues to limit mail-in ballots in McSally-Sinema race

Republicans filed a lawsuit Wednesday night to challenge the way some Arizona counties count mail-in ballots, as election officials began to slowly tally more than 600,000 outstanding votes in the narrow U.S. Senate race. The task that could take days.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona...yrsten-sinema/
Old 08 November 2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
In Oregon, the deadline to mail a ballot was Friday.
It's not a deadline, though. You could have mailed your ballot on Saturday and it would be accepted as long as it arrived before 8 pm on Tuesday. It's just not a safe bet if you cut it too close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Take an issue like this:Maybe democracy's jumped the shark at this point. I abstained from this one since this seems like the sort of things elected officials get elected to decide in the first place, and I have no idea what would be better or worse. Are elected state education superintendents better than appointed ones? How the hell would I know?
This had to go to voters because it was a constitutional amendment. Legislators can't change that by themselves.
Old 08 November 2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The candidate I worked for is less than 2000 votes behind with 4000 absentee ballots to be counted. Xochitl, I have my figures crossed.

And Beto, I'm sorry you lost. I was hoping but you campaigned too nice.
Turns out there were 8000 or so absentee ballots. Xochitl got over 6000 of them. She won!
Old 08 November 2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema [the Democratic candidate].
All you need to know really.