snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 28 October 2018, 03:03 PM

Default Bowers’ actions get Gab pulled from web

https://archive.fo/wrWi7

(It’s a snapshot of a Twitter thread)

For a bit of context: Gab (for those who don’t know) is a free speech-oriented social media platform that’s essentially become Racist Twitter.

Bowers is the guy who killed 11 people at at the Tree of Life synagogue. He had an account on the site (but as I don’t care for Gab, we get a WHTM link so you don’t have to get vile rubbish in your internet history. It’s where I got the snapshot). According to the potholed link, he may have used it to hit on underaged girls too.
Old 14 November 2018, 07:07 AM

Icon07

NPR 8 November 2018
Quote:
The Internet server company that hosts the controversial social media network Gab has been subpoenaed by Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro, the office confirmed.

{ snip }

In the days after the shooting, several companies, including cloud host Joyent, domain registrar GoDaddy, and digital payment companies Stripe and PayPal, cut ties and suspended Gab's accounts. This forced the site to shut down for more than a week.

The company that got Gab got back online is called Epik, which is the Internet server that is now hosting Gab. Epik's move triggered the investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general.
I knew they would be back online but I was hoping, as what happened to StormFront, that no US-based firm would host them.

Quote:
Gab was thrust into the spotlight last month, because shortly before the shooting at the Pittsburgh synagogue, the suspect Robert Bowers posted angry comments about a Jewish nonprofit on Gab. He wrote, "Screw your optics - I'm going in."

[Andrew] Torba, Gab's CEO, has continued to defend the site as a platform for free speech.

On Wednesday, Gab tweeted a screenshot of the subpoena, but later deleted the tweet.

In an interview last month, Torba told NPR that Gab does have a policy of removing speech that is threatening. But he also said that what the synagogue shooting suspect wrote didn't sound like a direct threat to him.
Unbelievable.

Brian
Old 14 November 2018, 11:14 AM

Why do so many people not know what free speech actually means? And why do the people who harp on about free speech the most seem to be the ones who constantly misuse it to mean 'the right to say bigoted or violent things without repercussions of any kind'?

It's possible the second question holds the answer to the first: wilful ignorance.
Old 14 November 2018, 02:07 PM

Glasses

Blatherskite, it's probably the same set of people who confuse the right to say something with the right to be heard. Free speech means you can say it. It doesn't mean anyone has to listen.

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2018, 03:18 PM

It's a calculated, widespread strategy to eliminate free speech by drowning out all opposing voices while claiming that they're the real victims.