snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 22 March 2018, 12:19 AM

Icon105 Won't You Be My Neighbor trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhwktRDG_aQ
Old 22 March 2018, 12:54 AM

Mouse

Dammit, I already do enough sobbing as is! I've tried to explain that I'm just in a very dusty room, but I don't think anyone believes me.

Though whether there's an afterlife or not, I've already decided that any heaven that won't let in Mr. Rogers isn't a heaven I want to go to. A large part of growing up is discovering that your childhood heroes weren't who you thought they were. Except with Mr. Rogers, who was exactly how he presented himself to be, just a class act all the way.
Old 22 March 2018, 02:25 AM

One of the things I remember is how everyone said he was the same everywhere, all the time. Some people found that weird/creepy, but I've found it reassuring somehow. I look forward to seeing this.
Old 22 March 2018, 10:26 AM

I plan to see this, too. He was a truly great man.
Old 22 March 2018, 02:24 PM

Does it cover the part of his life when he was a Marine sniper or just the TV show part?
Old 22 March 2018, 03:44 PM

I think this would be a great film series. They could do other greats like Bob Ross, Jim Henson, Bob Keeshen (the original Captain Kangaroo)...

That, or it's just my nostalgia talking...
Old 22 March 2018, 10:34 PM

I can check at work, but I have the idea that most people out of the U.S. have no idea about Fred Rogers. Guess I'll have to buy the DVD/Blu-ray from the U.S., because I doubt it'll open here.

But I could be wrong. Would be interesting to see this in the local niche theater.
Old 22 March 2018, 10:48 PM

Here in Canada he would have been known to more modern audiences. But back in it's early years really only to those who had access to PBS, which wasn't us when my sisters and I would have been at the age when we would have watched Mr Rogers. I remember reading that the show got it's start on CBC back in the '60s but if I think it was a bit before my time. If I saw it I certainly don't remember! I was too busy watching Chez Hélène and Bonanza .
Old 23 March 2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I can check at work, but I have the idea that most people out of the U.S. have no idea about Fred Rogers. Guess I'll have to buy the DVD/Blu-ray from the U.S., because I doubt it'll open here.

But I could be wrong. Would be interesting to see this in the local niche theater.
I didn’t see the show until I was 15 and staying in America.

EDIT: Wait, I lie…I did see it down here, but it only ever aired on Optus Vision AFAIK.
Old 23 March 2018, 10:35 AM

He's completely unknown in France. The first time I heard of him was when I bought one of TVT compilations of old TV series themes. After all, way back when, we had our own children TV shows hosts. Same, I suppose, for every other countries. Still, from what I heard, he seemed like a genuine nice guy. And when SNL aired in France (on cable, late in the evening), I got a kick out of Eddie Murphy's "Mr. Robinson's Neighbourhood".
Old 23 March 2018, 11:00 AM

Icon105

He was even a kind, patient, beautiful human being when dealing with other types of children... you know... politicians.

Here he is in 1969 testifying before Congress about PBS. It's a great way to spend a few minutes if you've never seen it.