snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 November 2018, 08:17 AM

The government server is antiquated, last I checked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.1af1b4004416
Old 21 November 2018, 12:58 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended daughter Ivanka Trump's use of a personal email account to communicate with government officials, saying there was nothing wrong with her actions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-house-n938641

Shoe's on the other foot I see. Shocker.
Old 21 November 2018, 02:42 PM

Mister Ed

But getting back to the ass/arse thing -

I guess I shouldn't have deleted my comments at post #10 in this thread. I will restate them.

Although the ambiguity Richard W mentions does exist, I believe calling someone an ass is generally meant to be calling him a donkey - or at least I think that's where the phrase originated. (Calling someone an asshole, on the other hand, is something different.) But I believe the "mihi asinum" in Psihala's post was meant to be a literal translation of the English language idiom "my ass" - a rude negator of what proceeds it, as in "Make America great again my ass!" - the "ignorance of the law is no excuse my ass" being meant as something Ivanka and her supporters would say. I'm pretty sure "ass" in this context means "butt" (or "bum" to you, Richard W). Therefore "ignorantia juris non excusat, mihi culo" seems more accurate.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:31 PM

Baseball

It has gotten to the point of ridiculousness that around my workplace the Trump Administration and all the cloud around it has taken on a new life, becoming the expressions and analogies we use for banter. Some examples:

- I'm getting Brett Kavanaugh drunk this weekend (when discussing going to a wedding for a good buddy)

- the referee is as honest as a Republican (at a hockey game)

- does a Trump continually lie (similar to "does a bear poop in the woods")

- as short as an American election (when describing how long it would take to procure new equipment)

- as real as Trump's wall (when describing an exaggerated event)

There are a few more that are escaping me at the moment.

However, Ivanka's emails have made conversation interesting and fun for the past couple of days, until the next catastrophe strikes
Old 24 November 2018, 04:47 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Well well well. Hilary Clinton must be very bemused.
At first, I thought Hillary Clinton would basically be like this when the Trump administration goes down in a crash more spectacular than the Hindenburg blimp, but more and more, I’m like, “Hillary, you should really go big with all this to drive the point home.” Rather than a mere “I told you so” speech, have a massive spectacle with music by the Boston Pops, plenty of can-can dancers and background dancers in sequined outfits, sparklers and cannon fire, circus performers, all of it culminating in a big, grand finale where, “I told you so!” will be written in giant, flaming letters across the sky.

Though I had always raised an eyebrow at people who thought that Ivanka would be a moderating influence on her father. Did they really think she’d be willing to say anything that might lead to Daddy cutting her off? Ivanka has yet to demonstrate that she’s anything besides a life-like Barbie doll with nothing beneath her generically pretty surface.

I mean, I understand reaching out and diving deep into rationales—I survived much of my life by doing so—but at some point, if you’re involved in politics or journalism, you have to acknowledge the reality of the situation. If you do decide to cling to rationales, then you should write fanfiction centered around it, not report on it like it is news.
Old 24 November 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
The government server is antiquated, last I checked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.1af1b4004416
I can't read the article because I'm out of free ones this month. But was that ever a reason she gave for doing it? The reason I remember her providing was that she did not want to carry two phones. And, ultimately, her reason doesn't matter.

I don't think Hillary Clinton should have been prosecuted, but I also don't think that she did nothing wrong. Government emails need to be under government control for multiple reasons. A private email server was more secure than using web based private email accounts like some of her predecessors occasionally did, but that does not make it any less of a "the rules don't apply to me" move.
Old 28 November 2018, 04:56 PM

Icon220

Don't lock me up: Ivanka Trump defends use of private email, says not like Clinton

Ivanka Trump defended her use of a private email account as she was moving into an adviser's position in her father's administration, saying it cannot be compared to the flap over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's private email server.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...linton-n941106
Old 28 November 2018, 05:06 PM

Ivanka Trump used a private email account for government business like Hillary Clinton did.

Ha! I just compared it! Shows what you know.
Old 28 November 2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Ha! I just compared it! Shows what you know.
Ah, but imagine there was an apple who used a private email server for government business, and also an orange who did the same thing, and you compared them. You'd be comparing apples with oranges! And that's exactly what you're doing, except that the apple is called "Hillary" and the orange is called "Ivanka"!
Old 29 November 2018, 12:21 PM

Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post

Ivanka Trump defended her use of a private email account as she was moving into an adviser's position in her father's administration, saying it cannot be compared to the flap over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's private email server.
Oh, do tell.

Why do I suddenly have Fortunate Son running through my head?

Dawn--it ain't me--Storm
Old 29 November 2018, 02:32 PM

Because she's not a Senator's son?

Which reminds me, GenYette was putting together a play list for Veteran's Day with music from the major wars. She did not think that Fortunate Son would be appreciated for the Vietnam War.
Old 29 November 2018, 04:27 PM

How about War Pigs?
Old 29 November 2018, 04:58 PM

Pretty sure that would be a double no.

I was going to say that it was too late for a Vietnam War song, but it was released in 1970. I thought it was much later than that.
Old 29 November 2018, 06:18 PM

The I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag?

Give me an F!