snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 23 April 2017, 01:50 PM

Default Erin Moran, Joanie in 'Happy Days,' dies at 56

Erin Moran, the former child star who played Joanie Cunningham in the sitcoms "Happy Days" and "Joanie Loves Chachi," died Saturday at age 56.
A statement from the sheriff's department in Harrison County, Indiana, said the dispatcher "received a 911 call about an unresponsive female. Upon arrival of first responders, it was determined that Erin Moran Fleischmann was deceased. An autopsy is pending."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...t-56-1.3380946

I know I had read that she had a troubled and sometime unhappy life in recent years but 56 is far too young to die.
Old 23 April 2017, 09:28 PM

This qualifies as a FOAF thing but someone told me they heard that Ron Howard had been helping Moran out financially in the last few years. I would not be at all surprised to learn that this is true, he has always seemed like such a decent guy to me.
Old 24 April 2017, 02:32 AM

I've seen people on social media sharply criticizing her castmates for the fact that she has been homeless at times. It seems like a rush to judgment when no one knows her whole story, or theirs, especially if addiction is a factor. That's a complication money alone can't fix.
Old 24 April 2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I've seen people on social media sharply criticizing her castmates for the fact that she has been homeless at times. It seems like a rush to judgment when no one knows her whole story, or theirs, especially if addiction is a factor. That's a complication money alone can't fix.
It was a fair while ago, more then a decade, but the last I heard of her she had gotten religious, like cult religious and apparently wanted nothing to do with her former cast mates.
Old 24 April 2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I hadn't heard that about Moran but I certainly hear the sentiment expressed that people who were in a TV show together must be best friends forever. I don't even have contact now with people I worked with back in the '80s let alone anyone I might have worked with in summer jobs or the like back when I was in high school in the '70s. I think people sometimes forget that while, yes, sometimes people who work together do become close friends most of the time when the job is over and they move on, the job is over and they move on.
Old 24 April 2017, 02:47 PM

Glasses

Sue, that attitude must be related to the people who think people in TV shows are as fanatical about memorizing the plots as the fans are, and should remember how they delivered line X in episode Y 15 years after they delivered the line.

Seaboe
Old 24 April 2017, 05:30 PM

From what I've read the Happy Days cast did have a feeling of being family long after the show went off the air.

Moran was recently kicked out of a trailer park for 'hard partying'. It appears that she had a substance abuse problem. I could see where that might make her relationships with all the people around her difficult.
Old 24 April 2017, 05:32 PM

Erin Moran, the former Happy Days child star who was found dead at her Indiana home over the weekend, likely died of cancer, according to the Harrison County Sheriff's Office and the county coroner.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...cer/100842822/
Old 24 April 2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It seems like a rush to judgment when no one knows her whole story, or theirs, especially if addiction is a factor. That's a complication money alone can't fix.
Yes, with homelessness, it could be as simple as long term unemployment, and a little money could be all it takes to turn things around. But it's very often not as simple as that. With a former celebrity, even one who can't get major roles anymore, they could almost certainly find enough to occupy themselves to at least pay the rent on a small apartment. A homeless celebrity is far more likely to fall into the category of someone who has other demons, which prevent their friends from just being able to cut a check to turn their life around. Or from being able to maintain a healthy relationship with them at all.

Last edited by Errata; 24 April 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:21 PM

Scott Baio comments on her death

http://www.avclub.com/article/scott-...ocialMarketing
Old 25 April 2017, 02:39 PM

[hijack]
Am I reading too much into the fact that his wife's Twitter handle is "@MrsScottBaio"?
Old 25 April 2017, 02:46 PM

Charitably I thought it might be because she knows she'll get more attention if people are sure of her connection to someone who is a celebrity. Then I thought, wait, Scott Baio is still a celebrity?
Old 25 April 2017, 02:50 PM

He got some press recently for supporting Trump in the election.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:51 PM

You knew Trump was scraping the bottom of the celebrity barrel when he was being publicly supported by people like Baio and Tim Allen - although at least Allen is still on TV even if his show sucks.
Old 25 April 2017, 03:46 PM

There was a brief reality show about Scott Baio's life, several years ago. His best friend seemed to achieve all of his sense of importance from being Scott Baio's friend. It was a bit unsettling.
Old 25 April 2017, 04:32 PM

There is a lot of assuming that goes on with celebrity deaths. For people like Erin Moran who became famous while young, the history of child stars is not filled with happy endings. Shirley Temple is one. Ron Howard is another. But I know that I wondered if Erin Moran's death at 56 might be the result of substance abuse. So, I understand Scott Baio making that assumption too. I have about 30 people following my tweets. I guess he must have more

Cancer, of course, takes women and men as well. I know that in my community a lot of opioid deaths get obscured by the "died suddenly at home" phrase, which underplays the problem of drugs. I appreciate the families who share the struggle of their loved ones' lives in more open obituaries.

Some families have as much of a stigma about cancer as well, although that is far less common. Just saw the obit of someone, younger than me, who I met in high school where they list the cancer which killed him.

Ali
Old 25 April 2017, 05:08 PM

I can understand his making that assumption.

What disgusts me is his choice to speak to a reporter that way about Moran's death, in its immediate aftermath, and before he had any idea whether his assumption was valid. If you need to express those feelings, express them to family or friends, not a damned reporter.
Old 25 April 2017, 05:10 PM

Speculating to reporters aside, I don't think it's unreasonable, even knowing the cancer diagnosis, to assume that drugs may have played a part in her death. Just because someone has cancer doesn't mean they aren't doing drugs, and if her cancer was at an advanced stage and there was a lot of pain involved she'd have better reason than most to resort to any drugs she could get that would help alleviate pain and make her feel better, even if it was drug induced better .
Old 25 April 2017, 05:35 PM

Default Scott Baio clarifies comments on Erin Moran's death: 'I'm very heartbroken'

Chachi is showing love for Joanie.

Monday evening, Scott Baio took to Facebook to clarify seemingly insensitive statements he made about his co-star Erin Moran's passing.

http://www.9news.com/news/nation-now...oken/433986861
Old 25 April 2017, 06:13 PM

Assume all you want, just don't make unsubstantiated accusations to the press about someone who isn't alive to defend herself.

ETA: Ugh, he's a jerk in his "clarification" too. What an ass.