snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 July 2016, 12:17 PM

Default That 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' revival is headed to Netflix

Quote:
It started out as a Kickstarter campaign, but the newly revived Mystery Science Theater 3000 is now headed to Netflix.
http://mashable.com/2016/07/24/myste...mst3k-netflix/
Old 04 January 2017, 12:59 AM

Cheer

It hasn't officially been added yet, but if you do a search for Mystery Science Theater 3000 in Netflix you can add it to your queue already.

We have movie sign!!!
Old 04 January 2017, 01:05 AM

Good looking cast list.
Old 07 January 2017, 09:07 PM

TV

I'm seriously looking forward to it as something happy to have in 2017.
Old 07 January 2017, 11:57 PM

Glad to hear it since most of my viewing is done on Netflix.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:03 PM

Cheer

Aww yeah! We have a premiere date!

And it really is in the not too distant future...

Old 22 February 2017, 01:16 PM

Are they finally going to address how he eats and breathes? I've been wondering that for years and it is really starting to annoy me. *twitch*
Old 22 February 2017, 01:18 PM

Repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."
Old 22 March 2017, 07:40 PM

Cheer

We have trailer sign!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ct0Z2bQndM
Old 22 March 2017, 07:51 PM

My favorite MST3K moment ever: During a movie set in the early 60s, there was a scene in a restaurant. One of the characters changed the channel on the TV set, and one of the watchers said "Mr. Ruby said to be sure to watch the news."
Old 14 April 2017, 11:41 AM

And here it is!

The new show is available on Netflix! Happy binge-watching, everyone!
Old 15 April 2017, 03:15 AM

Well, half an hour or so in... looking pretty good. I think Patton Oswald is the big win for the cast. (I like Felicia Day in general; for this she might be trying a bit too hard, but we'll certainly give her time.) Not sure about the gimmicks of Gypsy coming down from the ceiling, let alone a flying Tom Servo, but if not overdone, no big.

I don't know if I can ever be totally happy with anone other than Joel in the main role -- Mike and this guy can probably be just as funny, but the tone is just different -- but hey, pretty good. And God, what a great film to start with..GAHHH!
Old 15 April 2017, 12:00 PM

Nice start to the new series. Credits showed plenty of credit where it was due; I am assuming that, over the course of the 14 episodes, they will list everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter, since they only got up to the beginning of the "B"s. Changes to the framing conceit did not grate or detract, and I like that they gave nods to character continuity. "Push the button, Frank" was always a hallmark for me, and I missed it during Mike's tenure.

REPTILICUS!! oh my yes, that alone could have made up for a fair amount of potential issues. My favorite movie about a "dinosaur" that is obviously supposed to be a basilisk-like mythological creature, even if you don't know about the excised flying scenes ("one of Mother Nature's attempts to bridge between the reptile and the mammal" makes less sense than "basilisk").

Sigh. Looking through the episode list, I see that a perennial great bad movie STILL hasn't been picked to be riffed on, not by MST3K or RiffTrax: Battle Beneath the Earth. One day... one day...
Old 15 April 2017, 12:23 PM

I watched a little bit of it last night, and the only complaint I have so far is that Jonah and the 'bots all sound a bit too much alike now. The guy doing Crow is making a good attempt at sounding like the original(s), but Tom's voice is too much like his, and Jonah is somewhere in between. It's a little hard to tell who's making what joke.
Old 15 April 2017, 01:21 PM

Another extremely minor nitpick is that the "entering the theater" segment seems to go on a bit too long.
Old 15 April 2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Nice start to the new series. Credits showed plenty of credit where it was due; I am assuming that, over the course of the 14 episodes, they will list everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter, since they only got up to the beginning of the "B"s. Changes to the framing conceit did not grate or detract, and I like that they gave nods to character continuity. "Push the button, Frank" was always a hallmark for me, and I missed it during Mike's tenure.
And of course making it "Push the button, Max," is a nice nod to the late great Professor Fate...

Quote:
Sigh. Looking through the episode list, I see that a perennial great bad movie STILL hasn't been picked to be riffed on, not by MST3K or RiffTrax: Battle Beneath the Earth. One day... one day...
I've always wondered how they can have missed Night of the Lepus. Giant rabbits and the chance at endless Dr. McCoy jokes?
Old 15 April 2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Another extremely minor nitpick is that the "entering the theater" segment seems to go on a bit too long.
I think that's pretty much a criticism that can go back to the earliest days of the show. It's always been kind of like if "Get Smart" had replayed the entire title sequence every time Max entered Control HQ.
Old 15 April 2017, 08:12 PM

TV

So far my favorite episode by FAR is Starcrash, what a hilariously awesome space romp to rip into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I'm in Episode 11 somewhere. I haven't gotten that far into the new season to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I watched a little bit of it last night, and the only complaint I have so far is that Jonah and the 'bots all sound a bit too much alike now. The guy doing Crow is making a good attempt at sounding like the original(s), but Tom's voice is too much like his, and Jonah is somewhere in between. It's a little hard to tell who's making what joke.
They're easier to tell apart the farther in you go, but I had this issue at first and it seems to be the only common complaint. Joel noted it and said he felt it improves over time, but I suspect if we get a season 11 they may change up the bots performances a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I've always wondered how they can have missed Night of the Lepus. Giant rabbits and the chance at endless Dr. McCoy jokes?
Rifftrax has a video-on-demand download of their riffing of it, so it's not been completely missed. I suspect we won't see MST3K cover any films that either Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic covered just to keep things fresh.

I was kinda hoping for Yor Hunter of the Future or really any of the silly ouevre of Reb Brown (aka Big McLargeHuge) to pop up... but now I have something to look forward to for Season 12.

Joel's been blunt that the Netflix ratings will matter the most to whether Season 12 happens. I'm so happy with what we've gotten out of this new revival that I am just dying to see more. I would be terribly depressed if this is all we get!
Old 16 April 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
So far my favorite episode by FAR is Starcrash, what a hilariously awesome space romp to rip into.
I have extremely fond memories of attending that movie at a drive-in theater. I phrase it that way because my my enjoyment had nothing whatsoever to do with the movie, which I don't remember at all, apart from a vague recollection of a scantily-clad character named "Stella Star." Let's just say I was young and my girlfriend of the time wasn't much interested in seeing the actual film either.... ahhh, those were the days.

Quote:
Joel's been blunt that the Netflix ratings will matter the most to whether Season 12 happens. I'm so happy with what we've gotten out of this new revival that I am just dying to see more. I would be terribly depressed if this is all we get!
I have to say, attempting to watch some of the 'classic' episodes recently, I found them...kinda disappointing. I think I was overcome by the sensation that I ought to be watching them late on a Friday night, with a couple of friends, all of us slightly buzzed on fatigue poisons if not actual booze -- and not being sure they hold up so well for viewing-on-demand.

From watching, so far, only about 1 and a third episodes of the new ones, that they were aware of this when making them. The show seems generally more energetic and the jokes thicker and faster (this could also be a matter of just having more time to take on the production). So I think I'm going to find it easier to watch these all the way through at a decent pace.

(I looked through the list of episodes -- one thing there was no mention of: are they going to get a chance to do any shorts? I thought those were often highlights of the older series. In fact, a collection of all the shorts on DVD would be an attractive purchase for me -- the length is a nice one for a break between other activities or a few laughs before sleeping.)
Old 16 April 2017, 07:17 PM

Default My Thoughts

First impressions, from one episode in:

Riffing = Good

Host Segments = Good, though I'm looking forward to more interaction between Jonah + the bots and the new mads

Special Effects = Suitably Cheesy

Bots = Good, although it's going to take me a long time to get past not hearing Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy as Crow and Servo. (And yes, I also loved Trace as Crow).

Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank = Pure Genius

More episodes tonight!