snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 12 September 2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
... the 78th anniversary of the bombing of Mme Tussaud's Wax Museum by the Luftwaffe ...
Ah, yes ... sorry 'bout that!

Old 12 September 2018, 09:12 AM

2. What word do sailors use today in place of the archaic term "larboard"? The port or left side of the ship.

3. Who created the TV sketch characters Floyd R. Turbo, Art Fern, and Carnac the Magnificent? Johnny Carson.
Old 12 September 2018, 12:29 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Ah, yes ... sorry 'bout that!

Wax, like relationships, can be repaired.
Old 12 September 2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Wax, like relationships, can be repaired.
You're waxing philosophical I see...

Wax on, wax off!

I'm all out...
Old 18 September 2018, 11:16 AM

Hi, everyone. Here we go ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Jessica Tandy, Julie Harris, Jessica Lange, Cherry Jones and Sally Field played Amanda Wingfield in the five most recent Broadway revivals of what play?
Amanda Wingfield is the mom in The Glass Menagerie.

2. What word do sailors use today in place of the archaic term "larboard"?
It used to be larboard and starboard. Today we just say "port," and save time.

3. Who created the TV sketch characters Floyd R. Turbo, Art Fern, and Carnac the Magnificent?
Those were the longest-running comedy alter egos of Tonight Show host Johnny Carson.

4. The capital of Uganda took its name from a Lugandan phrase meaning "hill of" what abundant local mammal?
The city of Kampala, as you might guess from the way it ends, means "hill of the impala" in the local language.

5. What title word was a hit for Kool & the Gang when used once, for Smashing Pumpkins when used twice, and for Genesis when used three times?
"Tonight," or "Tonight, Tonight," or "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight."

6. What three things can coexist in equilibrium at a substance's triple point?
The three phases of matter: solid, liquid, and gas.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Audrey Hepburn, Mads Mikkelsen, Zoe Saldana, Channing Tatum, Charlize Theron, Alicia Vikander, Christopher Walken, Michael K. Williams.
All danced professionally before switching over to acting. Only one "danced" at a Tampa strip club, however. (Hi, Channing!)

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In baseball, throwing a complete game shut-out in less than 100 pitches is an accomplishment named for what Cubs and Braves great, who did it thirteen times?

2. What was, for decades, the only acceptable instrument for women to play in an orchestra, with the result that 95% of performers today are still female?

3. Allstate, Discover Card, and Lands' End are all brands that were founded and spun off from what once-mighty American company?

4. As a result of his first major act in office, who became the only sitting U.S. president to testify before a congressional hearing?

5. What future star was fired from the title role in 1987's Predator because he wanted the action scenes to have more kickboxing?

6. In a nutritional context, cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are often labelled with what letter of the alphabet?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these world leaders? Jean-Bertrand Aristide, Stanley Baldwin, Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Silvio Berlusconi, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Georgios Papandreou, Shimon Peres, Nawaz Sharif.

Enjoy.
Old 18 September 2018, 11:21 AM

2. What was, for decades, the only acceptable instrument for women to play in an orchestra, with the result that 95% of performers today are still female?

Harp
Old 18 September 2018, 11:41 AM

Whalephant

#3 is probably Sears but if it is, he's wrong. Lands' End was founded by by a couple of guys in Dodgeville, Wisconsin(of all places), then later ended up as part of Sears.

#4 Gerald Ford?
Old 18 September 2018, 01:42 PM

Baseball

1. I have no clue whatsoever.

2. Flute, my daughter's instrument

3. Sears?

4. Dunno. Ronald Reagan?

5. JC Van Damme?

6. C?

7. World leaders who used mediums to talk to their dead mothers.

1 for 7 this week.
Old 18 September 2018, 02:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In baseball, throwing a complete game shut-out in less than 100 pitches is an accomplishment named for what Cubs and Braves great, who did it thirteen times?
Satchel Paige
Quote:

Harp
Quote:

3. Allstate, Discover Card, and Lands' End are all brands that were founded and spun off from what once-mighty American company?
Sears, Roebuck & Co.
Quote:

4. As a result of his first major act in office, who became the only sitting U.S. president to testify before a congressional hearing?
Truman (actually, I have no idea, but that's the first name that popped into my head).
Quote:

5. What future star was fired from the title role in 1987's Predator because he wanted the action scenes to have more kickboxing?
Jean Claude van Damme
Quote:

6. In a nutritional context, cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are often labelled with what letter of the alphabet?
I'm going to go with the (to me) obvious, C, even though I doubt it's right.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these world leaders? Jean-Bertrand Aristide, Stanley Baldwin, Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Silvio Berlusconi, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Georgios Papandreou, Shimon Peres, Nawaz Sharif.
I've only heard of one of them, so I'm not even going to try to guess (except I can't help saying--they're all trans).

Seaboe
Old 18 September 2018, 02:13 PM

6. In a nutritional context, cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are often labelled with what letter of the alphabet? I'm going to guess D because D is what helps absorb calcium and that's part of their name.

ETA: UEL and Seaboe, isn't vitamin C ascorbic acid?
Old 18 September 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Yes, which is why I said I doubted it was right. I almost said your answer though, so I'm bummed that I talked myself out of the correct letter.

Seaboe
Old 18 September 2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Enjoy.
1. Greg Maddux
2. Flute
3. Don't know
4. Truman? (Oh, probably Ford is right.)
5. Don't know
6. K
7. Convicted of crimes after being head of state?
Old 18 September 2018, 02:54 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
ETA: UEL and Seaboe, isn't vitamin C ascorbic acid?
You are most likely correct. I don't know much about vitamins. It was truly a guess. That is why I scored myself a 1 this week.
Old 18 September 2018, 05:48 PM

2. What was, for decades, the only acceptable instrument for women to play in an orchestra, with the result that 95% of performers today are still female? flute?

4. As a result of his first major act in office, who became the only sitting U.S. president to testify before a congressional hearing? Ronald Reagan? Didn't he testify in the Iran-Contra-hearings, with the infamous "I don't recall?"

5. What future star was fired from the title role in 1987's Predator because he wanted the action scenes to have more kickboxing? Jean-Claude Van Damme

6. In a nutritional context, cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are often labelled with what letter of the alphabet? D?

I am ashamed to admit that the only one I'm 100% sure of is #5.
Old 18 September 2018, 08:47 PM

Musicgeek, I think that line was VP Bush's.
Old 18 September 2018, 08:58 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...085-story.html It was pretty prominently discussed at the time.
Old 18 September 2018, 09:22 PM

But that was neither before Congress, nor the sitting President (the testimony was given in 1990, long after Reagan had left office).
Old 18 September 2018, 11:06 PM

5. What future star was fired from the title role in 1987's Predator because he wanted the action scenes to have more kickboxing? Jean-Claude vanDamme