snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 September 2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriccoloratura View Post
My phone is so full that I can't take even one more photograph.
I've got a crappy phone like that with too little memory. The annoying thing is that when it gets like that, it won't even let me open the media app to delete them! It tells me that it has too little memory and to delete some files before opening it! You have to do it through some other far fiddlier interface.

The other annoying thing is that it's nothing (or very little) to do with your own photos in the first place. (Or at least it wasn't on mine). When I first got the phone, I knew it didn't have much memory or storage but it was fine - it could run the three or four apps I needed and had room for a word game and the odd interesting things as well. I got to the point where I needed to remove a couple of things to install new ones, so an app that turned a painting of a vase of flowers in a gallery in Bucharest into 3d augmented reality went; the word game and a non-standard mapping thing went when I needed to install Eurostar booking, and so on; but that was OK. The interesting and fun stuff went to make room for more useful things.

But then WhatsApp started to insist I updated it, and eventually stopped letting me ignore it and refused to work. In order to update WhatsApp, I had to remove almost everything else that had been on it. I managed to leave Messenger, which is the main other app people I know use to communicate, but I had to remove Slack which I also used, and all the other useful bits. It kept blaming my own media files and telling me to delete them, but when I looked at the memory usage, those took up very little space anyway - I think I could have freed at most something like 300Mb when it needed several Gb for the update. WhatsApp itself is now taking up nearly half the space. (And no, it's not all media in threads - I've deleted all those bits that I don't need, and they were small anyway as I said).

WhatsApp eventually let me update it and started working again, but Messenger is also giving a countdown (several years off yet) before I'll be forced to update it, and also doesn't have enough space to let me actually update it. And there's nothing left to remove. WhatsApp and Messenger between them have eaten all the space on my phone, shoved everything else I needed off it, and are now fighting between themselves.

I really need to get a memory card for it - that should help, although there's no obvious slot (I think there's a slot behind the battery). But apart from its relative lack of memory and storage, I don't think there's anything special or particularly crap about my phone. WhatsApp and Messenger presumably behave this badly on any device, but it's just less apparent if you've got more space for them to expand into.