snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 27 April 2009, 07:50 PM

Icon22 The Return of Flash Mountain?

Al Lutz at MiceAge.com is reporting that, as a cost-saving measure, Disneyland is eliminating the position of the employee who screens the photos taken by cameras on Splash Mountain before they are displayed -- raising the possibility that guests will be treated to some racy and/or offensive pictures as their logs drift past the screens.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al042109a.htm

Incidentally, in the discussion forums there, a debate seems to be raging as to whether this should have been reported, since it could encourage the behavior that had resulted in a screener being employed in the first place. People are comparing to announcing that a store has deactivated its anti-shoplifting cameras. Others are saying that one of the functions of journalists is to bring to light things that could cause public concern. I lean towards the latter view, but just wanted to mention the controversy to let people know I'm aware of the problem.

I leave it to snopes to decide if he wants to update the matter on the Flash Mountain UL page.
Old 08 May 2009, 01:56 AM

This has now hit the mainstream media -- places like the LA Times, KTLA, and even the Guardian. I heard it on the news segment of a San Diego local radio morning show, too.

Whether they would have picked up on it without the internet buzz on the subject, I don't know.