snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 20 March 2008, 03:06 AM

Default J.K. Rowling says poor people are inferior to her?

My husband is having this argument with a fellow WoW player. The WoW player insists that about five years ago he heard J.K. Rowling on public TV saying that poor people should not read her books because they are inferior to her. DH and I both highly doubt she said that--before Harry Potter she was, after all, a poor single mother and equality and prejudice are big themes in her books. I can't find any reference to this on any Google searches, here, or on the old board. Anyone have any information on this?
Old 20 March 2008, 03:12 AM

I could swear that this one popped up here before and that it was proven bunk, but I can't for the life of me find anything related without digging too deep.
Old 20 March 2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ica171 View Post
My husband is having this argument with a fellow WoW player. The WoW player insists that about five years ago he heard J.K. Rowling on public TV saying that poor people should not read her books because they are inferior to her. DH and I both highly doubt she said that--before Harry Potter she was, after all, a poor single mother and equality and prejudice are big themes in her books. I can't find any reference to this on any Google searches, here, or on the old board. Anyone have any information on this?
Without knowing I'll tell you there is no doubt in my mind that she did not say such a thing. However, how are you going to prove that she didn't say it? Your DH should tell his WoW acquaintance to prove that she did say it exceptional claims and all that. Good grief some of the stuff people will make up about "controversial" figures is just ridiculous.

P&LL, Syl
Old 20 March 2008, 03:15 AM

Well, not only is there no evidence out there that she said it, it runs contrary to the sorts of things there is evidence she's said. Not only about her own past as a poor single mother, but about her attitude to her readership in general. Her appreciation for and gratitude toward all those who have helped make her such a successful writer is a matter of copious public record.

Nonny
Old 20 March 2008, 04:03 AM

D'oh!

Given that when high-profile people do say inflammatory things, it's often all over the news ... why doesn't anyone other than this one person remember any of the news coverage about it?

File this one under the Tommy Hilfiger, Lauryn Hill, and Shakira category of celebrity defamation.
Old 20 March 2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ica171 View Post
J.K. Rowling on public TV saying that poor people should not read her books because they are inferior to her.
I think you'll find it was actually said by Barack Hussein Obama.
Old 20 March 2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I think you'll find it was actually said by Barack Hussein Obama.
Actaully, damian, I'm pretty sure Barack Hussein Osama said not only that poor people are inferior to him, but that he will enjoy eating their souls once he is elected as anti-Christ.

Poor old JK Rowling - people seem to believe the strangest things about her.
Old 20 March 2008, 07:35 AM
Gadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fizz View Post
Actaully, damian, I'm pretty sure Barack Hussein Osama said not only that poor people are inferior to him, but that he will enjoy eating their souls once he is elected as anti-Christ.
"You don't vote for antichrist!"

"Well I could become antichrist, then."

Gadon,
Old 20 March 2008, 04:08 PM

Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonny Mouse View Post
Well, not only is there no evidence out there that she said it, it runs contrary to the sorts of things there is evidence she's said. Not only about her own past as a poor single mother, but about her attitude to her readership in general. Her appreciation for and gratitude toward all those who have helped make her such a successful writer is a matter of copious public record.

Nonny
That's what I was thinking. The statement made by the WoW friend is utter silliness (IMHO.)
Old 20 March 2008, 05:15 PM

That's all basically what I told my husband--if she had said such a thing, there would be evidence of it (other than one guy's vague memory) and that it was completely out of character for her to say something like that. I'm pretty sure that wasn't enough evidence for the guy. But I don't know how to prove someone didn't say something.
Old 20 March 2008, 05:41 PM

If only there was a web site compiling a list of J. K. Rowling's more significant quotes from interviews.

Oh, look! Huzzah!

What joy can people possibly get out of making stuff like this up? I mean, surely if you want to dish the dirt on somebody it's only fun if it's real dirt.

J. K. Rowling despises the Welsh. J. K. Rowling once beat a Romanian child to death with her own purse. J. K. Rowling once ate an entire beluga whale served on a diamond platter.

See? No fun at all. All right, a bit fun.
Old 20 March 2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post

J. K. Rowling despises the Welsh.
Ooh, I bet she's unhappy about Harri Potter a Maen yr Athronydd, then!
Old 20 March 2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Ooh, I bet she's unhappy about Harri Potter a Maen yr Athronydd, then!
My SO has that book. She's trying to learn Welsh, for no other reason than she just likes the language. And Harry Potter is her favorite series of books. So she just had to buy the Welsh version of the first HP book. She can't quite read it yet, but it is one of her goals.
Old 23 March 2008, 01:51 AM

Aside from the fact that it sounds dubious, it also seems a bit strange that, if she truly believed that the poor were inferior, she'd make one of the two #2 heroes of her books a boy who comes from a family that's so dirt poor that they dress in hand-me-down rags and can barely afford their children's schoolbooks.
Old 23 March 2008, 02:49 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGrey View Post
Aside from the fact that it sounds dubious, it also seems a bit strange that, if she truly believed that the poor were inferior, she'd make one of the two #2 heroes of her books a boy who comes from a family that's so dirt poor that they dress in hand-me-down rags and can barely afford their children's schoolbooks.
And he(Ron Weasley) is the brother of one of HP's romantic intereasts.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:36 PM
forceflow15

Don't forget that for all intents and purposes Harry himself was poor. He was raised with the bare means of survival, and only became moderately wealthy when he turned 11.
Old 21 May 2008, 12:31 AM

I can't believe she would have said that either. It would be totally out of character for her.
Old 21 May 2008, 06:21 PM

Not to mention the Weasley family - they are scorned by some in the books because they are not well-off.

OOPS - didn't see the previous comment about the Weasley family
Old 21 May 2008, 11:35 PM

Oh yeah, the rich Malfoys really look down at the poor Weaslys. Draco loves to tease Ron for his family's poverty.