snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 19 October 2012, 05:48 PM

Default Hundreds of exploding fake Heinz ketchup bottles discovered in New Jersey

A warehouse in Dover, N.J. was discovered to have hundreds of crates purported to be Heinz ketchup, which officials said may have been repackaged to sell for a profit.

Dover Public Safety Director Richard Rosell told the Star-Ledger newspaper in New Jersey that the ketchup's sugars, mixed with acid from tomatoes and vinegar, had fermented in the heat and exploded. Tenants noticed the mess and city officials and Heinz were eventually contacted.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/hundr...ry?id=17511614
Old 19 October 2012, 06:43 PM

I used to live just up the hill and took the train from there countless times. Huh.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:11 PM

The headline is a bit misleading, and the article is pretty confusing in its structure. As near as I can tell, this is what happened:

Some unnamed party bought actual (not fake) Heinz ketchup, then attempted to repackage it using the "Simply Heinz" label, a "premium" product that uses cane sugar rather than corn syrup. Somehow (the article doesn't say), presumably through improper storage/handling, the ketchup fermented in the bottles and exploded from the gas buildup.

What I don't get is this: if you're going to try to pass off counterfeit premium ketchup, why start with a name-brand product? Why not go for the generic stuff (even available in similar bottles these days) and have a much greater markup? The only thing I can think is that they would have a paper trail showing that they were actually reselling Heinz ketchup, and hoped that the switch in types would pass unnoticed, whereas purchasing Brand X and selling Heinz might be more obvious. By the time you got done with the fake labels, etc., though, it doesn't seem to me that the profit margin would make it worth your while. (Which must be why I'm a schoolteacher and not a criminal - I don't have the head for it, I guess.)