snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 03 January 2013, 07:16 PM

Default Broten to impose contracts on striking teachers, then repeal Bill 115

Quote:
Education Minister Laurel Broten will repeal the controversial legislation she used to impose contracts on thousands of striking teachers and education workers, but it’s far from clear whether the move will bring about the return of extracurricular activities in public schools.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...391/story.html

Yeah, Broten. This will bring back extra-curriculars. Not bloody likely.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:16 AM

Default McGuinty vows retaliation if teachers walk out in staged contract protests

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty is urging elementary teachers not to walk off the job and vowing to punish them with hefty fines if they do.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle7106051/
Old 11 January 2013, 12:44 PM

Teachers are not walking off the job today, looks like they would indeed be doing so illegally were they to go ahead. Parents aren't off the hook in my area though, we've got another "snow" day. Snow in quotes as really it's a freezing rain day.
Old 11 January 2013, 08:59 PM

Yes the Labour Board made the decision at 4:30 in the morning. Most of the Boards opened. I'm sure the 3 kids in my class who showed up were happy to come and play all day along with the other 51 who showed up in the entire school. I mean really, what else were we going to do? And they were 3 of the best, too.
I didn't even have the kids in my class for more than 10 minutes. They were taken to the gym for a movie, for DPA, to another classroom to play with Lego...I reorganized our classroom library and worked on my emergency supply notes (not quite there yet but much closer). They'd be done but I volunteered to supervise the DPA in the gym.
So I stayed in a warm building getting things that needed to be done done instead of picketing in the pouring rain for 2 hours and being penalized $2000. Oh yes, I'm very sad the Labour Board decided it was unlawful. Really I am.

ETA: But don't expect extra-curriculars to come back any time soon, possibly until the next election. And jeez Sue, where do you live? Sudbury? Thunder Bay? We haven't had a single snow day!
I'm just glad that my promise that "when a bunch of you are away I will prove that I really do know how to colour" (long story) did not have to be fulfilled. There were 2 kids who would have brought it up and they were both away.

Last edited by Latiam; 11 January 2013 at 09:06 PM.