snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 30 January 2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

7. The one thing that jumps out to me is that Wayne Gretzky played for the 4 NHL teams listed. And I know Michael Jordan played for the Bulls, but did he not have a relationship with the Wizards? Can't fathom what the Dodgers, Dolphins and Jazz have.

Therefore, my guess is that these are the teams that the all-time top point scorer in each league played for.
Unfortunately, I believe the top NBA scorer is Kareem Abdul Jabar, who never played for the Bulls or Wizards.

I'm pretty sure that Michael Jordan went into the HOF early (without the 5-year waiting period); I think Gretzky did too. Did Roberto Clemente go in early due to his untimely death? That would explain the Dodgers. That would leave us with Dolphins and Jazz.
Old 30 January 2018, 07:08 PM

Dr. Winston O'Boogie, Clemente played for the Pirates.
I think Dodgers pitcher Sandy Koufax is the youngest inductee into the baseball HOF, but as far as I know that's just because he retired young and not because they waived the 5 year requirement.
Old 30 January 2018, 10:18 PM

1. Which geologic era began with the Triassic period, when the dinosaurs evolved? Mesozoic.

2. What hit TV series of 1967-1979 began with an animated woman expanding the CBS logo to spell out the show's title? The Carol Burnette Show?

4. Because it was so bad for the digestive system, what name was given to the cheap liquor cut with turpentine or gunpowder that was commonly served in Old West saloons? Rotgut.
Old 31 January 2018, 12:22 AM

Baseball

Well, it is a sports question. I'm lucky that my guess might even be in the right ballpark. get it?

I'm here all night! Tip yer waitstaff.
Old 06 February 2018, 10:26 AM

Happy Tuesday, everyone.
Time for our weekly installment of Ken Jennings' trivia questions. As always, question 7 is delayed one week as per Mr. Jennings' request.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Which geologic era began with the Triassic period, when the dinosaurs evolved?
Dinosaurs ruled the earth during the Mesozoic Era.

2. What hit TV series of 1967-1979 began with an animated woman expanding the CBS logo to spell out the show's title?
The letters "CBS" expanded into the words "Carol Burnett Show."

3. Ireland has 158 Teachtai Dala, or TDs. What two-letter abbreviation is used for the equivalent of a TD in the United Kingdom?
The Dail Eireann is the lower house of the Irish parliament. TDs are to Ireland what MPs (Members of Parliament) are across the Irish Sea.

4. Because it was so bad for the digestive system, what name was given to the cheap liquor cut with turpentine or gunpowder that was commonly served in Old West saloons?
There was so much sketchy stuff in rotgut that it could literally rot your guts.

5. In his poem "Tithonus," Tennyson wrote that what animal dies "after many a summer"?
After many a summer dies the swan. Unless the swan is some kind of, I don't know, immortal robot swan.

6. A pioneering textile designer in the English Arts and Crafts movement died in 1896; three years later, in 1899, a pioneering Hollywood talent agent was born. What first and last name was shared by both men?
The William Morris Agency was NOT founded by the Pre-Raphaelite artist William Morris, contrary to popular belief. The dates just don't line up.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these teams in the four major North American sports organizations, and no others? Blues, Bulls, Dodgers, Dolphins, Jazz, Kings (NHL), Oilers (NHL), Rangers (NHL), Wizards.
Each of these teams has has one of their player jerseys retired...by a different team, or even multiple teams. Jackie Robinson (the Dodgers) and Wayne Gretzky (Oilers, Kings, Rangers, Blues) had their numbers retired league-wide; the other honorary retirees were the Jazz's Maravich (retired by the Jazz's New Orleans successors, the Pelicans), and Michael Jordan and Dan Marino, both of whom had numbers retired, oddly enough, by the Miami Heat. There's a case for including the Ottawa Senators on this list, since the Senators team that Frank Finnigan played for in the 1920s was NOT the same one that retired his number almost seventy years later. This question was suggested (many years ago, I think) by my ol' Jeopardy! buddy Ben Wiles.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Tennis phenom Hyeon Chung of South Korea has joined Janko Tipsarevic and Denis Istomin as the only players on the ATP tour ro share what immediately obvious characteristic?

2. What Vienna-born physicist won a 1945 Nobel Prize for "his discovery of a new law of Nature, the exclusion principle"?

3. In medieval Japan, a wakizashi was the smaller companion to what type of sword?

4. On March 27, 1977, the island of Tenerife was the site of the worst disaster of what kind in history?

5. I Put a Spell on Me was a 2001 documentary about what one-of-a-kind R&B legend?

6. Four U.S. states are officially "commonwealths." What's the only U.S. state that borders three of the four commonwealths?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries in this order, and no others? Cyprus, Russia, India (sort of), Germany, France, Poland, France, the United States, Japan.

Enjoy!
Old 06 February 2018, 10:33 AM

Only one this week, but I'm very close to the answer for three more but I can't bring them to mind without cheating, so I won't.

3. In medieval Japan, a wakizashi was the smaller companion to what type of sword? Katana.
Old 06 February 2018, 10:53 AM

1. Don't know, but it's an odd question - "immediately obvious characteristic"? Red hair, perhaps, if it's an Asian tour.

2. Wolfgang Pauli.

3. The obvious other kind of Japanese sword is a katakana. (eta) Ha ha, that's not a sword. It's obvious what I meant to write though - I just can't spell. See TGG's answer.

4. Aviation disaster (plane crash), when two fully-loaded 747s collided on the runway in fog and everybody on them died.

5. I don't know this one. (Who was the guy who was meant to have done a deal with the devil at the crossroads? Maybe that's the "spell" and it's him. Robert somebody? I should know but I've temporarily forgotten.)

6. I know one of the commonwealths is Massachusets (thanks to Fallout 4). And I think New Hampshire is one, so they're all up that way somewhere. So I will guess that the answer is Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries in this order, and no others? Cyprus, Russia, India (sort of), Germany, France, Poland, France, the United States, Japan.
No ideas at the moment... France is on the list twice, which must be a clue.
Old 06 February 2018, 10:54 AM

Whalephant

#4 is airplane collision.
Old 06 February 2018, 11:34 AM

4. On March 27, 1977, the island of Tenerife was the site of the worst disaster of what kind in history?

Airplane crash (or whatever. Two 747:s collided)

6. Four U.S. states are officially "commonwealths." What's the only U.S. state that borders three of the four commonwealths?

New York?
Old 06 February 2018, 01:25 PM

1. Don't know.

2. Pauli, first name is escaping me at the moment.

3. Katana.

4. Aviation.

5. Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

6. West Virginia.

7. Hmm, as Richard W points out, France is on there twice. This makes me think it's something chronological, buy beyond that I have no guess.
Old 06 February 2018, 01:31 PM

3. In medieval Japan, a wakizashi was the smaller companion to what type of sword? Katana?

4. On March 27, 1977, the island of Tenerife was the site of the worst disaster of what kind in history? Airplane crash

5. I Put a Spell on Me was a 2001 documentary about what one-of-a-kind R&B legend? Gotta be Screamin' Jay Hawkins

6. Four U.S. states are officially "commonwealths." What's the only U.S. state that borders three of the four commonwealths? New York?
Old 06 February 2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
6. West Virginia
Dammit, I thought I'd finally hit a question where I could be the first to answer correctly. To expand on this correct answer, West Virginia borders the commonwealths of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and either Tennessee or Kentucky (not sure if it would be kosher to Google confirm the last one.
Old 06 February 2018, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Tennis phenom Hyeon Chung of South Korea has joined Janko Tipsarevic and Denis Istomin as the only players on the ATP tour ro share what immediately obvious characteristic?
Well, given that I don't have a clue what the ATP tour is, and that I doubt they're the only players with unusual names, I'll say they're all ferriners (non-US citizens).
Quote:

2. What Vienna-born physicist won a 1945 Nobel Prize for "his discovery of a new law of Nature, the exclusion principle"?
Vienna born, huh? Probably not Fermi then. Probably not Niels Bohr, either. Werner von Braun?
Quote:

3. In medieval Japan, a wakizashi was the smaller companion to what type of sword?
A samuri sword. Unfortunately, I've forgotten (if I ever knew) what its real name is.
Quote:

airplane crash. Two 747s collided with a loss of (IIRC) more than 600 lives. They collided on the ground.
Quote:

5. I Put a Spell on Me was a 2001 documentary about what one-of-a-kind R&B legend?
Smokey Robinson?
Quote:

New Jersey? Clearly, I'm confident about my answers this week.
Quote:

The longer we do this, the worse I get at actually being able to answer these questions. As I see it, what is the common thread that is only "sort of" for India? It can't be something to do with volcanoes, because then you'd have to include Italy. France is on there twice, which inclines me to believe it has something to do with the World Wars, except then, well, Cyprus. I give up.

I'm pretty sure I'm 1 for 7 this week.

Seaboe
Old 06 February 2018, 04:08 PM

I thought "sort of" for India might indicate that whatever it was happened before India was the independent country that it is now - so with a different territory involving Pakistan and Bangladesh as well.

(eta) Which would mean, if the order is chronological, pre-1946 for India.
Old 06 February 2018, 04:17 PM

Could number 7 have something to do with reunificaiton into the same or mostly the same country as before they were split? I think that would be true for Germany, France (at least once as it was split during WWII and reunified, Russia, and the US.
Old 06 February 2018, 04:53 PM

Cyprus isn't exactly unified at the moment, unless it's allowed to be split again after reunification, or unless you're going by some technical definition to do with international law or UN recognition, rather than the reality.

One obvious reason that can't be the answer is the order - Germany (post-1989) would be after France (post-1945 and - when was the other one you were thinking of? France regaining Burgundy and Calais from the English? That was centuries ago). And the USA (assuming you mean the Civil War) would be before either of the first two of those.

I've not put spoiler tags since I'm pretty sure that isn't the answer. I can't see how you'd give a definitive, exhaustive list for that either. Countries nab territory off each other and take it back again all the time.

(eta)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
France is on there twice, which inclines me to believe it has something to do with the World Wars, except then, well, Cyprus. I give up.
Cyprus would have been involved in the wars, surely? Certainly the first - was it neutral in the second? Why do you say "except Cyprus"? They do all sound like prominent players in the world wars, but then again they were called "world wars" for a reason so that might be a red herring.

Last edited by Richard W; 06 February 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06 February 2018, 06:31 PM

Glasses

Because Cyprus came first, so I assumed it was something before the World Wars.

ETA: Could the reunification thing run backward in time? With 1865 be the oldest, and whatever is going on currently being the newest?

Seaboe
Old 06 February 2018, 06:42 PM

But Poland has been divided I think 4 times. And if it's referring to some specific type of division and reunification, then was Japan ever divided and reunited?
Old 06 February 2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
To expand on this correct answer, West Virginia borders the commonwealths of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and either Tennessee or Kentucky (not sure if it would be kosher to Google confirm the last one.
No need, it's Kentucky.
Old 07 February 2018, 12:43 AM

Baseball 2 this week

1. They aren't white?

2. I don't know any Viennese born physicists.

3. Only other Japanese sword I know is the Katana (which is my mnemonic for remembering a Syrian village we were observing during my tour there - Al Qatana)

4. Studied this extensively on my Flight Safety Course. Aviation disaster.

5. I think I should know this one, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll go with Stevie Wonder

6. I only know one Commonwealth, I think. And that is Massachusetts. So, I'm guessing New York as I know it touches a bunch of other states.

7. I've got physicists on the brain from that Vienna question. All I can think of is that it had to do with radiation accidents.