snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 23 March 2007, 02:56 PM
Hypno Toad

Default Governor admits Arizona UFO was real

Video here
Old 23 March 2007, 03:24 PM

All he's doing is admitting he saw it - it's weird that he pretended not to have done so at the time, really. There seem to be plenty of witnesses and a fairly clear video, so it's obvious that there was something "real" there.

I thought he might be admitting that he knew what it was, and so had had to keep quiet at the time. If it was some sort of defence project or related to something secret, then he might have known about it. I suppose that's still a possibility and he's just pretending that he thought it was an alien spaceship, but why bring it up now? He's just admitting that he doesn't know what it was either.

I saw a programme about the start of the UFO craze in the late 1940s, and they showed film of a US air force representative who was actively encouraging people to think that UFOs were alien spacecraft because it distracted from the fact that some of them were secret experimental aircraft, or possible Russian infiltration of US airspace. So the conspiracy theory about the government "hushing up" alien activity is pretty much the opposite of the reality... I can't remember enough details for this to be anything other than a friend-of-a-friend thing though.

Last edited by Richard W; 23 March 2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: "Witnessess" sounds like something Gollum would say
Old 23 March 2007, 03:29 PM

He's not really admitting that the lights were "real" [real what?] but that he saw them, and that he thinks they were "other worldly".

I had never heard of this incident before. I didn't realize that there was a modern instance of unexpained lights, seen by so many, and with video evidence. I wonder what it was?

[oooh, spanked by Richard]
Old 23 March 2007, 03:30 PM
jason13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I saw a programme about the start of the UFO craze in the late 1940s, and they showed film of a US air force representative who was actively encouraging people to think that UFOs were alien spacecraft because it distracted from the fact that some of them were secret experimental aircraft, or possible Russian infiltration of US airspace.
I think you're thinking of Project Mogul in which the USAF used high altitude "weather" balloons to detect Russian nuclear testing. The debris found at Roswell was the remains of one test.
Old 23 March 2007, 05:15 PM

Wiki has the common explanation:

"the United States Air Force (USAF) identified [the lights] as flares dropped by A-10 Warthog aircraft which were on training exercises."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights
Old 24 March 2007, 03:36 AM

For those too lazy to look at the link:

Quote:
Skeptics agree with the USAF explanation that the lights were simply slow falling, long burning flares dropped by an A-10 Warthog aircraft on a training exercise over Luke Air Force Base. Proponents of the spacecraft theory stated that the lights were over the city and not beyond the mountain where the Luke AFB was located. However, detailed analysis of the falling flares shows that they were actually beyond the mountain, as investigators discovered the lights vanished in line with the outline of the mountain. An investigation by Luke AFB itself also came to this conclusion and declared the case solved.[11] More recent investigations have come to the same conclusion.[12]

A video illustrating this explanation was broadcast on a special on Fox Television stations about a year after the event. A copy of the original video was used in coordination with a video shot in the daytime from the exact same location. The two videos were merged into one on a frame by frame basis, so that the landmarks (both in the foreground and background) were always perfectly aligned. This allowed analysis of the lights regarding their apparent height above the mountain, and it was easily seen that the lights vanished in line with the outline of the mountain. Military flares[13][14] such as these can be seen from hundreds of miles with correct environmental conditions.[1] This can explain why the flares were seen from the Nevada state line and Tucson. Later comparisons with known military flare drops were reported on local television stations, showing dramatic similarities between the known military flare drops and the Phoenix Lights[2]

Airforce pilot, Lt. Col. Ed Jones, came forward in early 2007 claiming responsibility for the drop of leftover flares on the night in question,[11] and claims to be a pilot of one of the four A10s in the squadron that he says launched the flares.
Old 25 March 2007, 11:23 PM

I have no problem with the Air Force's explanation for the event. What I don't understand is the secrecy. Why not just annouce "We're dropping flare for a training exercise tonight. Didn't want to scare anybody, so we thought we'd give you a 'heads up'."

Now would that have been so hard?