snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 07 March 2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Takuya View Post
"Cage and Aquarium" by They Might Be Giants, yes?
Oh, yes! Belated reference points to Kris Takuya.
Old 07 March 2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter108 View Post
I am now casting my vote for a smiley wearing a tinfoil hat!
Isn't that what this smiley is?
http://message.snopes.com/images/icons/icon27.gif
Old 08 March 2007, 03:36 AM

Default Tinfoil hats

My DH and elder DS claim that they have been abducted by aliens. DH usually wakes me by tapping at me and saying something like "aawhaah". Then I have to wake him up. Anyway, on a joke I made him a aluminium hat, (I still spell the British way, it is al-u-min-iu-m). The aliens did not leave him alone.
Old 09 March 2007, 07:24 PM

In this episode of This American Life, at one point they go to meet a man who claims to have evidence of extraterrestrial intellegence. When they meet him, they discover that the man has in fact lined his hat with foil.

It's not a tinfoil hat, but there was a family in Sacramento who covered the outside of their house with sheet metal and lined the inside with foil, because they claimed their neighbors were bombarding them with microwave radiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunchingOats View Post
I don't know about other countries but in the USA most wrapping foil is Aluminum (Aluminium for you Brits). The facts that the term is "tinfoil hats" may signify that this practice dates back to a time when most household wrap was made of tin.
Maybe, but there are plenty of people nowadays who still call the stuff "tinfoil" even though it's made of aluminum.
Old 09 March 2007, 09:56 PM

In a Guard unit I once served with in the early ninties we had a soldier that did, indeed, wear a foil hat (although I honestly can't say whether it was tin or aluminum or aluminium) under his regulation cap. This was during an era when recruiting was low for us, so his eccentricity was tolerated. I personally saw it from time to time and when it peaked out he was told to cover it.

The soldier apparently wasn't "bucking for a section-8" but was a few french-fries short of a happy meal, but not far enough out there to warrant a mental discharge. He was also a decent worker, as I recall. The greatest oddity is he was the Commander's driver.

The strangest moment came when, sadly, there was a helicopter crash and a former (and popular) unit member was killed. We held a memorial service and in a moment of silence the soldier suddenly spoke up and declared that it probably wasn't the pilot's fault, that "they" had a way of transmitting emotions into your head. As far as all concerned he was pretty genuine in his belief. Remarkably, however, he got no converts to wearing of the foil hat that day.
Old 12 March 2007, 12:49 PM
TheTurtleMoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorsam View Post
This was during an era when recruiting was low for us, so his eccentricity was tolerated. I personally saw it from time to time and when it peaked out he was told to cover it.
Of course soldiers often have to carry their own equipment with them and a hat-sized chunk of aluminium foil could be very handy on a battlefield, so lucky that he had the sense to bring his own...