snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 10 December 2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Around here, I would expect a small house for that.
Around here, I'd expect quite a large one.

Unless it was on the lake, of course.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:43 AM

A friend of mine rents a nice, 4 bedroom, 2 bath house with a huge living room, kitchen and dining room for $620.
Old 10 December 2016, 01:57 PM

Canada

Around here $620 gets you nothing you'd want to live in. My niece just rented her first apartment, one bed, one bath in Westboro (so trendy and probably priced a little higher than most other places) and that ran her $1200. But that does include most of her utilities.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:05 PM

Factoring exchange rates, $620 US is about $817 Canadian.
Old 10 December 2016, 03:11 PM

My daughter lives in <300SQ for closer to $1K than $600.

It occurred to me that this 23 cent thing may be an end-of-year wrapup, and the <$1 amount could date back to August, when I moved and my rent was pro-rated. Which would actually make it even stupider, because 1) I triple-checked that number before I wrote the check, including a confirmation call seconds before I wrote the check and 2) if I owe them $0.23 for the whole year, why not just write the damn thing off? Oh, right, because then they lose the chance that I'll blow it off and they can charge me with a late fee.

Heck, that could be a reason for charging rents in uneven dollar amounts, if you're business model is to squeeze every possible cent at every possible opportunity.
Old 10 December 2016, 10:42 PM

TYSHTTP: If you can't complete the turn, don't begin your turn. Don't pull out and block traffic from one direction while you wait for traffic from the other direction to clear.
Old 12 December 2016, 03:24 PM

Glasses

In a lot of places, it's illegal to pull into the intersection unless you can absolutely clear it before the light changes (and didn't we just have this discussion elsewhere?)

Seaboe
Old 12 December 2016, 03:26 PM

We had a discussion about left turns at lights, and whether you should pull into the intersection to wait for an opening (I was taught to do so, in Ohio, but it's not required).

ETA: I don't block anyone else, unless the light turns red, and in that case I follow the law and get out of the intersection ASAP.
Old 12 December 2016, 03:44 PM

Glasses

Thanks, Lainie.

Wildebeast's description sounded like a left turn to me, so I was remembering correctly.

Seaboe
Old 12 December 2016, 03:47 PM

If you're blocking traffic while waiting to turn left, you're doing it wrong.
Old 12 December 2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
In a lot of places, it's illegal to pull into the intersection unless you can absolutely clear it before the light changes.
When I was in Manhattan a couple of months ago I wondered why you didn't seem to have box junctions there. In the UK the whole intersection would be a box junction - although not having many grid layouts, we don't have that many straight four-way intersections in built up areas like that. (In practice they'd probably be mini-roundabouts). To begin with I assumed they were meant to act as box junctions but were just unmarked, but it really didn't seem like it from watching drivers block the traffic by being stuck in the middle when the lights turned against them.

Box junctions have a defined boxed area with a yellow criss-cross pattern across it, which means exactly what you say - you're not allowed to enter the box unless you're clear to leave it.
Old 12 December 2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Around here $620 gets you nothing you'd want to live in. My niece just rented her first apartment, one bed, one bath in Westboro (so trendy and probably priced a little higher than most other places) and that ran her $1200. But that does include most of her utilities.
Around here, $900(Canadian) a month gets you a basement prone to flooding, covered in cat hair because the owner lets his cats roam in the tenant's apartment, with only one window that was so recessed into the window well that daylight never made into the space.

Or at least, that was what my sister got for that price as her previous apartment.

And going off on the "places that ask your name for your order" thing:

If I give you a name and it is "Al", putting Allan, Allen, Aldebert, Alvin, Alabama, just makes you look unprofessional.

It's two letters, if you can't get that right, next time I'll just say, "That's not my order, my order was for Al. It's the same drink? But that one doesn't say Al. The guy on the cup might come and ask for his drink."

But I'm not THAT much of a nsfbskhole....
Old 12 December 2016, 05:20 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Thanks, Lainie.

Wildebeast's description sounded like a left turn to me, so I was remembering correctly.

Seaboe
Yes, it was a left turn, and not at a traffic light. The person was pulling out from the parking lot of a shopping center and making a left turn onto a side street that runs next to the shopping center. They just had a stop sign, and therefore should have waited until traffic was clear in both directions before pulling out. Instead, they pulled out into the northbound lane, stopped and waited for an opening in the southbound lane, and then completed the turn. I will concede that maybe they thought they could complete the turn but after starting to pull out noticed a car they hadn't previously seen for whatever reason and had to stop where they did to avoid a collision.
Old 12 December 2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
To begin with I assumed they were meant to act as box junctions but were just unmarked, but it really didn't seem like it from watching drivers block the traffic by being stuck in the middle when the lights turned against them.
Your assumption was correct, it's just that everyone ignores the box:

http://nytrafficticket.com/blocking-...new-york-city/
Old 12 December 2016, 07:20 PM

I've seen Columbus cops ticket people for gridlocking. They should do it more often, IMO.

ETA: And to be clear, the left turn procedure I was taught pertained to green lights, not to stop signs.
Old 13 December 2016, 01:47 PM

Hello Kitty

Yeah it's real nice that you large dog grew up around cats and "loves cats" but I can't really explain that to my cat, can I? So if you let your dog wander off the leash while you're walking it then it's going to freak out my cat.

My poor cat was frozen in terror, lying as flat as she could make herself in the middle of the road. Mr Dog Walker actually asked why she was lying out there and I had to explain to him that she was terrified of his dog. At least he gathered up his dog and took it in a different direction when I said that, I guess.
Old 13 December 2016, 03:24 PM

Glasses

There are an amazing number of people who do not understand that the friendliness of an animal does not eliminate the fear of that animal in other people or animals (and may, in fact, increase it).

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2016, 03:36 PM

Dog

Plus if his dog actually had approached my cat then she would have definitely smacked it in the face with her claws if it got too close. I don't care how much anyone thinks their dog "loves" cats, if that happens there's a darn good chance the dog will attack the cat. And at that point I'd give the dog a boot up the ass.

Keeping his dog under control out in public (which means keeping it on a leash) isn't just for the sake of everyone else, it also keeps his dog out of harm's way.
Old 13 December 2016, 04:57 PM

Blow Your Top

To the driver (I saw yesterday) who was pulling a small trailer: The next time you're sitting at the light at Randolph Rd and Nebel Street, you might want to be on the other side of the railroad gate, so your trailer will not be on the railroad tracks. If that gate had come down, you would've been out one trailer.

[There is a light at the corner I mentioned, but right before that is one of two railroad gates. If you can't make the light, it's really really really advisable to stop before the first gate!!]
Old 13 December 2016, 06:24 PM

I had a dog who loved cats and thought every cat in the world was his friend.

He was always getting clawed on the nose for it.
Closed Thread