snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 20 April 2015, 05:24 PM

Icon101 Things you shouldn't have to tell people

They're called SEA LIONS for a reason!
Old 20 April 2015, 07:45 PM

Don't send emails in a hard to read, script style font, especially in a professional context.
Old 20 April 2015, 07:56 PM

...or with a colorful background in a professional context.
Old 20 April 2015, 08:59 PM

Bang Head

Yes, you have severe learning disabilities. Yes, you're registered through Disability Services and have numerous accommodations in class.

However, this does not mean that I will do everything for you. You've asked me six times now to tell you your grade. Your grades are posted. It is your responsibility to use the information I've given you to figure out how you're doing in class on your own. I will not do it for you, nor the other 100 students I have this semester until final grades are due.
Old 21 April 2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
They're called SEA LIONS for a reason!
The fact that the abductors were taunting and harassing the animal before stealing it makes me worried about the pup's safety.
Old 21 April 2015, 04:50 AM

D'oh!

If you make a 'joke' like "This theater's so crowded - maybe I should yell fire!" don't be surprised when they kick your sorry butt out of the theater.
Old 23 April 2015, 01:26 PM

Jaded

Dr. Oz, the First Amendment has nothing to do with your situation. The last time I checked Columbia University was a private institution and if they want to fire you, that is their prerogative. I'm sure the university gets federal funding, but still, dragging the First Amendment into this is really dumb and unwarranted.
Old 23 April 2015, 01:28 PM

Even if it were a public institution, the First Amendment wouldn't be relevant. It's not his speech itself that's the problem, for one thing, it's the fact that he's a licensed medical doctor and he's dispensing crap advice on TV to make boatloads of money for himself.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Even if it were a public institution, the First Amendment wouldn't be relevant. It's not his speech itself that's the problem, for one thing, it's the fact that he's a licensed medical doctor and he's dispensing crap advice on TV to make boatloads of money for himself.
I'm not aware of any relevance of what a person's job is or if they make money off an activity, or even if they are competent, and the concept of free speech. The gov't can not infringe his right of free speech regardless of his (crappy) expertise or how much money he makes.

Columbia, on the other hand, can do whatever they want that is compatible with their contract with Oz. Is he tenured faculty?
Old 23 April 2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I'm not aware of any relevance of what a person's job is or if they make money off an activity, or even if they are competent, and the concept of free speech.
That's not what I'm suggesting.

The First Amendment is irrelevant because no one is trying to stifle his freedom of speech. The action requested of Columbia is that he be fired, not that he be stopped from doing his show or forced to change what he says on it.

Of course the government can't stifle his freedom of speech, but I see no reason why the First Amendment would oblige a public institution to refrain from firing someone who they believe is acting in a manner inappropriate to his profession, position, or relationship with that institution.

I have no idea whether he's tenured or not.

ETA: It's the usual conflation of freedom of speech with the freedom not to face the consequences of your speech. The latter does not exist.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:39 PM

Lanie you specifically said "Even if it were a public institution, the First Amendment wouldn't be relevant". To which I was replying. In the actions of a public institution "freedom of speech" may apply since a public institution is subject to free speech requirements. In the actions of a private institution it never applies.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:51 PM

The First amendment is not relevant in Oz's case -- the only one I was discussing -- because, as I said above, no one is trying to stifle his freedom of speech.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I'm not aware of any relevance of what a person's job is or if they make money off an activity, or even if they are competent, and the concept of free speech.
Am I misreading this? Because there are very large chunks of law that specifically deal with restrictions on speech for money-making activities. Things that would be legal false statements become illegal false advertising, fraud, or similar crimes when the stater is making (or trying to make money) from them.
Old 23 April 2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Am I misreading this? Because there are very large chunks of law that specifically deal with restrictions on speech for money-making activities. Things that would be legal false statements become illegal false advertising, fraud, or similar crimes when the stater is making (or trying to make money) from them.
True. Now try to apply that to what an MD says about a medical issue. MDs almost always make money off what they say professionally. Indeed that is what your MD does when they schedule you for a yearly exam.

It would be extremely hard, in a court of law, to establish that his statements are false using a legal definition. It would degenerate into experts on both sides giving conflicting "expert" opinions. Dr. Oz would qualify as an expert in the field (he is a professor and part of the medical faculty at Columbia University) in his own defense.
Old 23 April 2015, 06:26 PM

Which is an entirely different kettle of fish from the statement which I was responding to. Finding it difficult to get a conviction due to battling expert witnesses is not even close to finding it difficult to get a conviction due to not being able to prosecute the exercise of free speech.
Old 23 April 2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Still, and taking into account your subsequent posts, it is rare to see prosecutions for false statements made in advertising. Pick up pretty much any US paper and there will be full page adds for products that are patently false. Dr. Oz probably falls into the same category.

Plus, the current legal trend is to treat organizations (including businesses) as if they were individuals, with the same rights and legal protections. For example, Citizens United v. FEC and the recent "religious freedom" law in Indiana (prior to its amendment) that applied to businesses as well as individuals.
Old 23 April 2015, 07:52 PM

Prosecutions may be rare since the main enforcement means is often lawsuits. In that vein, one of the sellers of the coffee bean weight loss pills that Dr Oz hawked recently settled a suit by the FTC for $9 million.
Old 23 April 2015, 08:39 PM

A state medical board is an arm of the state. They punish doctors regularly for giving bad medical advice.
Old 24 April 2015, 03:12 PM

Bang Head

MTYSHTTAnyone:

This "joke" wasn't funny 20 years ago, it still isn't funny now, and the fact that you've somehow managed to not notice it until some nitwit on your Facebook feed reposted it for the zillionth time doesn't make it funny either.
Old 24 April 2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
...or with a colorful background in a professional context.
When I was temping, I had an assignment in the personnel department of a major bank. My job was to scan resumes. Somebody sent in a resume printed in lavender on pink paper.
Closed Thread