snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 26 August 2015, 03:39 PM

You can keep going in some roundabouts. Some don't have continuous lanes around the entire roundabout. For example, in my hypothetical roundabout the right lane could end at the straight-ahead exit and you'd have to go straight.

ETA: To clarify, let me set up some parameters. There is a four-lane street that goes north-south and a two-lane street that goes east-west. The left (inner) lane is continuous for the whole roundabout. The right (outer) lane starts from the south entrance and ends at the north exit and starts again at the north entrance and stops at the south exit.

FETA: It sounds more complicated than it really is. Treat it like a cross-intersection with some curves. To go left, be in the left lane. To go right, be in the right lane. Otherwise, follow the signs as to what lane is for what. Don't enter the intersection until the intersection is clear of other traffic.

Last edited by GenYus234; 26 August 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 26 August 2015, 05:52 PM

Apparently roundabouts aren't quite the same thing as rotaries. Which is a blessing. Here's why.
Old 26 August 2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
That depends if the roundabouts have special features, of course. Some have trees, flowers, etc in them.

OY
All roundabouts here have some sort of middle garden-like portion. Unless its significantly different from any other "the one with the 13 foot tall statue of Pee-Wee Herman" it would not be a significant aid in navigation either.
Old 26 August 2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Apparently roundabouts aren't quite the same thing as rotaries. Which is a blessing. Here's why.
Funny, because the one I talked about in my previous post (which was built after 2006), is a two-lane rotary. Guess the city didn't see that article before authorizing it.
Old 27 August 2015, 02:25 AM

First rule: No matter how big the highway you are driving on is, the person that is in the roundabout still has the right of way. It took about a year for all most all the drivers to figure this out.

Second rule: Person in roundabout does not always exit at the major highway and may be even using for a U-turn. Something I commonly do since it is at time much easer make a left on the busy the road and turn around using the roundabout.

We do have double lane roundabout here in places, but the directions are well marked and signed before and in roundabout. Making it hard to be confused.

Of course there are always the idiot divers that do not seam to care about rules is they can save a second or two.
Old 27 August 2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
That depends if the roundabouts have special features, of course. Some have trees, flowers, etc in them.
Here, they are often named. Partly as a navigation aid, partly because it makes formulating traffic regulations easier (assuming two crossing roads, each section of the roundabout "belongs" to two roads, which makes the wording of a regulation very awkward if you can't simply refer to the roundabout itself).
Old 27 August 2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I thought Timmy Ho's was the only necessary landmark when navigating in Canada.
There are far too many Timmys to use them as navigation. We have a corner here that has one on three out of the four corners, if you count the one in the gas station.
We also have the first Tim Horton's ever near here, but that's not highly publicized.

Our city is so proud of the biggest roundabout near here that you can watch it on a live feed.
Old 27 August 2015, 12:08 PM

Some Timmies aren't even near usable roads.

I work on a campus that has 2 Timmies and neither of them can be seen from the street!
Old 27 August 2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The real problem is that whoever designed it went way overboard on putting in plants around it, so it actually has worse visibility.
They are a few around my house and this seems to be a common problem that you would think the road engineers would have figured out.

Overall they help traffic a lot and also reduce wear and tear on cars and increase fuel mileage. They do have at least three drawbacks unrelated to people's ability to use them. (1) They require a lot more land than does a 2 or 4 way stop. (2) A big chunk of that land is not roadway and needs to be maintained. (We'll have to wait and see if the county is up to mowing and weeding that beautifully landscaped nearly 1 acre of land for the next twenty years.) (3) They are more expensive.
Old 31 August 2015, 05:58 AM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
(2) A big chunk of that land is not roadway and needs to be maintained. (We'll have to wait and see if the county is up to mowing and weeding that beautifully landscaped nearly 1 acre of land for the next twenty years.)
In Spain I saw several roundabouts that had decorative stones or multicolored gravel in decorative patterns on the inner circle - not much to maintain.

Quote:
(3) They are more expensive.
Are they? Over here, four-way-stops of roads that are bigger than residential streets usually have traffic lights. Both building and maintaining them will probably be more expensive that a roundabout.

BUt you are right about them needing more land, which is why the are only seldom introduced within cities in Germany.
Old 31 August 2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
In Spain I saw several roundabouts that had decorative stones or multicolored gravel in decorative patterns on the inner circle - not much to maintain.
That's possible, but in my area roundabouts tend to only be built in the types of communities where lots of money is spent on landscaping. But that also means they probably have the resources for it; a couple of roundabouts is nothing for a city that, say, lines every arterial street in ostentatious white fences so that you get a continuous visual reminder that you're in a superior community.
Old 31 August 2015, 10:37 AM

We've had them longer than I can remember and they are everywhere. Its not rocket surgery. You give way to anyone in the roundabout and people on your right (I suppose that would be "left" for those that drive on the wrong side of the road). Much of the time you don't need to slow down if you are going straight.

In a suburb near me, there is a three roundabout system. It works well.
Old 31 August 2015, 04:50 PM

They've just started putting them in around here. It's mostly ok but there are still people who don't get it. I was almost hit the other day by a woman who blew through her yield and into the circle without even taking her foot off the gas. I've seen a person in the circle stop at every incoming road and try to let the person at the yield go ahead of them. I was approaching the circle once and was met by a woman in my lane coming out of it. She seemed really unfazed as she moved into her correct lane. The only thing I can figure is that she drove the wrong way around it. I still don't know how she managed that. And finally I saw one car driving around it on the center median. *sigh* All in all we may have been better off with a four way stop.
Old 31 August 2015, 05:32 PM

Ambulance

Our roundabouts here have signs instructing pedestrians to yield to motor vehicles...

Yet for some reason, I regularly see cars stopping to let a pedestrian through, when the roundabout is empty, then stop again when a car that wasn't there suddenly enters the roundabout...

Old 31 August 2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
There was a roundabout that was used to replace a stop light in a city I frequent.

The real problem is that whoever designed it went way overboard on putting in plants around it, so it actually has worse visibility.
Here are a few google street view maps of some of the roundabouts in my neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9533...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9678...7i13312!8i6656

and finally https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8758...7i13312!8i6656

the third one has good visibility -- the other two are filled with bushes and trees, in the winter they are piled high with snow -- and for some reason the first two are out on teh edge of town in areas with low traffic.
Old 01 September 2015, 09:16 AM

Roundabouts are fine as long as the traffic isn't too high in volume. There are a couple around here where the traffic is all heading in one direction at certain times, and if you're on the wrong entrance waiting for a gap can be a nightmare.

Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_..._%28Swindon%29 would be my worst nightmare though.
Old 01 September 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeOne View Post
Roundabouts are fine as long as the traffic isn't too high in volume. There are a couple around here where the traffic is all heading in one direction at certain times, and if you're on the wrong entrance waiting for a gap can be a nightmare.
That may be a feature rather than a bug -- it keeps the high volume traffic flowing at the expense of causing a longer wait for the low volume traffic.

Nick
Old 02 September 2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
That may be a feature rather than a bug -- it keeps the high volume traffic flowing at the expense of causing a longer wait for the low volume traffic.

Nick
That's the way it was explained to me. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." (Much to the irritation of the one.)

We've several in the area around our house. I think they're a fine idea. I like them.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeOne View Post
Once you get past a certain amount of traffic (somewhat dependent on how the traffic is balanced between the connecting roads), an overpass with ramps is more efficient.

Sometimes, though, this is not an option. Usually, this is the case due to economic restrictions or that there simply isn't room for such a construction.
Old 02 September 2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
We've had them longer than I can remember and they are everywhere. Its not rocket surgery. You give way to anyone in the roundabout and people on your right (I suppose that would be "left" for those that drive on the wrong side of the road). Much of the time you don't need to slow down if you are going straight.

In a suburb near me, there is a three roundabout system. It works well.
Bolding in Damian's comment mine. Cause that is what I was thinking. But as a nondriver I wasn't to comment on there ease of use. Except that when I was learning to drive, I didn't have a problem with them.

On reflection I do have vague memories of the first one my parents had to deal with.