snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 21 July 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Here's the whole cartoon, the effect is MUCH weirder in motion.
What's the joke with the book she's reading at the beginning, "Three Weeks"?

Either way, the reason she's wearing the skirt in that particular cartoon clearly isn't censorship, since they make sure we get a good look at her enormous udders before she puts it on. If anything the skirt is there to emphasise the ribaldry, so that we know her udders are "meant to be" hidden.
Old 21 July 2014, 11:53 PM

A simple explanation for the lack of udders is that they take time to draw.

I don't think the reason most cartoon characters only have three fingers is because of censorship.
Old 21 July 2014, 11:56 PM

I don't think udders are so much harder to draw than a skirt, especially one with a pattern.
Old 21 July 2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I don't think udders are so much harder to draw than a skirt, especially one with a pattern.
Good point. But there is a key difference; a skirt looks the same from all angles. Something like an udder looks different depending on the angle it is viewed from. i wonder if that makes a difference to the technicians (?, what would they be called, not artist, ...) that actually draw each animation cell?
Old 22 July 2014, 12:01 AM

To answer my own question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Weeks_%28book%29

Quote:
Three Weeks is a 1907 erotic romance novel by Elinor Glyn.
Not exactly an up-to-the-minute joke in 1930, but still. It does show that animation has never been "for children"... that cartoon was probably pushing it as much in 1930 as South Park does now (within the constraints of the medium and expected audience).
Old 22 July 2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
My favorite line(from another short)is "Ah always keep mah feathers numbered for just such an emergency."
I seem to have forgotten that line. However I will admit to reading in my Foghorn Leghorn voice that I can do. And yes I tried to not laugh.
Old 22 July 2014, 02:43 AM

I remember that line, but I recall the complete line as: "Fortunately, I always keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency". Said with the proper Foghorn accent and dignity as he walks away defeathered and a little scorched. My favorite Foghorn line ever. `
Old 22 July 2014, 03:51 AM

The short in question is "All Fowled up"http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Fowled_Up
Old 22 July 2014, 04:33 AM

Cow Found it!

Quote:
"Time reported in February 16, 1931 that, 'The Motion Picture Producers and Directors Association of America announced that because of complaints of many censor boards the famed udder of the cow in Mickey Mouse cartoons is now banned.'"
- Taken from Tinker Belles and Evil Queens: The Walt Disney Company from the Inside Out By Sean Griffin, Page 13.

I've seen enough old cartoons to know that the Cow squirting milk at people is nothing new, but it seems some people saw the cow's udder as being to close to a woman's breasts. I suppose the ban is over now.
Old 22 July 2014, 10:15 PM

Cow Cinema: Regulated Rodent

Quote:
Motion Picture Producers & Distributors of America last week announced that, because of complaints of many censor boards, the famed udder of the cow in the Mickey Mouse cartoons was now banned. Cows in Mickey Mouse or other cartoon pictures in the future will have small or invisible udders quite unlike the gargantuan organ whose antics of late have shocked some and convulsed other of Mickey Mouse's patrons.
http://content.time.com/time/magazin...741079,00.html
Old 23 July 2014, 02:04 AM

Cow

So the censors udderly had a cow.
Old 23 July 2014, 02:07 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Or more likely the production team didn't know the difference. I do remember the trailers for that movie and yeah, it was pretty glaring and strange.
Oh, lord and lady. Back in college, one of the guys who had graduated a year or two before me came back to the school to visit with one of the teachers. He'd been in California, working on that movie. I remember the look of complete exhaustion and panic on his face as he said, "They want us to take all the udders out. We told them male cows didn't have udders, but they said to give them udders because it was funny. Now they want us to take them out. That's hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work wasted." He paused. "I... I just don't think I'm going to go back."

He didn't. He just stayed in Seattle and god a job at a video game company.
Old 23 July 2014, 02:48 AM

Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.
Old 23 July 2014, 05:25 AM

Pig Hypocracy

See, now I have to wonder this now: how is it people can get upset over a cow having an udder (apparently Elsie the Cow of Borden Brand also had to have her udders covered) and a baby bird having no feathers, but they don't care about a hairless pig that wears nothing but a bowtie (Porky Pig).
Old 24 July 2014, 05:18 AM

Presumably Porky doesn’t show any genitals and IIRC, pigs have some degree of fur which could be similar to clothes. Note that other characters do not have any clothing at all (such as Bugs and Daffy - albeit they have more overt “clothes” than porky does.)
Old 08 August 2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
So the censors udderly had a cow.
Well played...
Old 12 August 2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Presumably Porky doesn’t show any genitals and IIRC, pigs have some degree of fur which could be similar to clothes. Note that other characters do not have any clothing at all (such as Bugs and Daffy - albeit they have more overt “clothes” than porky does.)
Maybe he didn't have genitals, but then, neither did Tweety. What's interesting to me is that in the EARLY days of Porky, he would actually wear a shirt. In this rare case, a character ended up wearing LESS clothes than he started with.
Old 05 September 2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhitman View Post
Going WAY back to the 1930s I found that Clarabelle actually did have an udder, but any cartoons after 1931 she didn't. Could it be that Clarabelle was the victim of censorship?
She absolutely was—some have already brought up a few period news reports, but here is "Mickey's Morals," an especially good one. It also mentions the inclusion of Three Weeks in the cartoon, which was also a sticking point. And this other article also mentions both Clarabelle controversies. As a longtime Disney scholar, I've seen newspaper and film magazine articles still talking about the flap as late as 1937.
Old 09 October 2014, 05:57 PM

No

I'm a truly wicked person, when I first saw the headline, I didn't see the "early censorship" so I thought it was going to be something like "Clarabelle Cow victim of McDonald's" or "victim of the butcher." Yes, I am that tasteless.
Old 09 October 2014, 11:00 PM

...And no discussion about the Duck who walks around in only a shirt?