snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 11 July 2014, 04:52 PM

Driver Beat a speeding ticket with a rollcage

I was on the train to work and someone started up a loud conversation in which it was claimed that you could beat any speed ticket by adding a roll-cage to your car and when the police pulled you over you simply had to claim to be a professional race-car driver and they would let you off.

The person saying this also claimed that if they did not then the judge would do so and that there were 50 such court cases a day in the US and every time the driver would be let off by the judge.

At this point I looked up from my book and chuckled inside as the person saying all of this was holding a bicycle...

But in all seriousness, has anyone else heard this...?
Old 11 July 2014, 05:01 PM

Methinks someone thinks The Onion is a serious news source.
Old 11 July 2014, 05:47 PM

I'll have to try that the next time I get pullde over in my Jeep!

OY
Old 11 July 2014, 05:51 PM

Baseball

In my career, I've come across two race car drivers who also worked in the military. Both were solid drivers on normal roads and you'd be hard pressed to find them ever getting a ticket.

Neither had a rollcage in their car. At the time I knew them (individually, they did not know each other) one drove a K-Car, the other a Chevy Pickup (and not even one big enough to tow his race car either).
Old 11 July 2014, 06:32 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
... that there were 50 such court cases a day in the US and every time the driver would be let off by the judge.
50 court cases a day of people getting speeding tickets while claiming to be professional race car drivers? I had no idea there were so many professional drivers getting speeding tickets on a daily basis.

Seaboe
Old 11 July 2014, 06:54 PM

It could be 1 driver fighting 50 tickets per day.
Old 11 July 2014, 07:55 PM

Hasn't worked for any of my friends. Didn't work for Greg Ray the night he won the Indy car race at TMS a few years ago. Didn't work for more than one rally driver caught speeding on transit. Alleged worked for Dan Gurney when he did get a ticket in a Ferrari during a Cannonball Run in that the ticket was dismissed later.
Richard
SCCA member
Rally America licence holder
Old 11 July 2014, 08:52 PM

Why would anyone expect it to work? Even if you know nothing about racing, race cars, etc. (like me), how would being a professional race car driver allow one to violate speed limit laws on public, non-race course roads?

A person also cannot punch or tackle people in the street and say it is OK because they are a professional boxer or football player.
Old 11 July 2014, 09:00 PM

It just occurred to me that the tiny grain of sense that this might make is if you are in an area covered by the basic rule. Meaning you can drive a speed that is safe under the then-existing conditions. I could see someone arguing that as a professional race driver, they are able to safely drive at higher speeds than ordinary drivers. It's an argument that would make sense to make, and which could possibly succeed under certain conditions. It also would not make sense or succeed where speed isn't governed by the basic rule alone, or where the person still wasn't driving at a safe speed. It also wouldn't really depend on having a roll cage in the car so much as having some way of showing that one is a good race car driver (emphasis on good).
Old 11 July 2014, 09:46 PM

The roll cage only demonstrates that the vehicle will protect the driver - in which case, the driver need not be concerned about their personal safety and can drive recklessly and with impunity, because they are likely to survive a crash because they are so well protected.

That said, a roll cage does not make a vehicle any safer to operate at higher speeds, for anyone outside the vehicle. Safe operation at higher speeds requires improved handling, traction, acceleration, top-speed, and perhaps most importantly, braking.

FWIW, in South America, small pickup trucks used in rugged terrain (sometimes off-road, and often on just dirt roads) frequently had roll-cages in them to protect the occupants - but did nothing to improve handling at high speed. In fact, a roll cage in a pickup truck would increase weight (thus affecting braking, handling, and acceleration negatively) not to mention that it would shift the center-of-gravity higher, making it more likely to tip. All things being equal, driving that vehicle at higher-than-normal speeds was clearly unsafe.
Old 12 July 2014, 01:54 PM

If only he had a roll cage:
Nascar's Kyle Busch loses driver's license after speeding ticket
Old 13 July 2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I could see someone arguing that as a professional race driver, they are able to safely drive at higher speeds than ordinary drivers.
But of course under race conditions you are driving with other professional drivers (if that means they are good or not is up for debate) or going in the same direction.

On the road you are dealing with other drivers of various skill/experience, cars of varing conditions, buses, bikes, pedistrains, stop lights, stop signs etc etc etc.

As a road safety advertisment here a few years ago said "are you driving too fast for the unexpected?"

Or maybe they are claiming with a rollcage they are more likely to survive an accident? Even dumber cause what about whatever it is you hit.
Old 13 July 2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
At this point I looked up from my book and chuckled inside as the person saying all of this was holding a bicycle...
It is kind of a friend of a friend story, but last century a well know racing car driver lived down the road from us. I good friend of his lived in our street and quite often he (the driver) would pass my Mum and the mutal friend in the morning. Mum and the friend would be walking the dogs the driver would be riding his bike, very fast. Drivers need to be fit and this was his form of exercise.