snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 19 December 2013, 06:00 PM

Disney Tom Hanks exposes Disneyland’s secret ‘Mile High Club’

Quote:
On “Conan,” Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks shared some of his new-found Disneyland knowledge, including the not so G-rated way in which some people made use of their time on the Skyway.

“You ask questions like, ‘what happened to this ride?’” the actor said. “And then they tell you why there are no sky buckets anymore. Remember sky buckets? You caught them in Tomorrowland, took them to Fantasyland, went right through the heart of the Matterhorn. Came out the other side?

“One of the problems was, there were a lot of people trying to join, let’s call it, the Mile High Club. In the sky buckets,” he continued to an incredulous O’Brien. “There were other naughty stuff going on, but there were people that tried to, how do we say this, get the deed done. How to enjoy the e-ticket, maybe the g-ticket, maybe the o-ticket, I don’t know.”
http://pagesix.com/2013/12/18/tom-ha...ile-high-club/
Old 19 December 2013, 06:04 PM

Jaded

If the primary reason Disney closed the Skyway attraction was really because people were trying to engage in sex on it, then the People Mover (aka the "People Maker") would have been shut down much, much earlier.

And really, the Skyway opened in 1959 and was in operation until 1999. I don't think it took park guests forty years to figure out they could fool around on the ride.
Old 19 December 2013, 06:45 PM

My friends and I used to spit off it. I only did it when there were no people directly underneath, but the boy I liked would aim for people's heads. That sort of behavior might have been a contributing factor, though as you point out, I'm sure we weren't the first to think of that, and I doubt it would have taken them that long to do something about it.
Old 19 December 2013, 06:48 PM

All the amusement parks around here that used to have them took them out around the same time, too. I assumed it was due to a problem getting insurance. I never heard of someone taking a nosedive from one, but it would have been possible to jump if someone was determined.
Old 19 December 2013, 06:57 PM

The last time I went, the local 6 Flags still had a skylift, and AFAIK, still does. On a hot day, it is one of the best ways to get some fresh air.
Old 20 December 2013, 12:53 PM

They still have one at the Ohio State Fair, though I don't think it lasts long enough for even a quickie. Kids do like to spit off of it, though. I saw one little tyke do the deed as his car was coming towards ours. In my best voice of doom I said as our cars passed "I saw what you did!". The expression on that kid's face was worth the price of the ticket!
Old 20 December 2013, 03:12 PM

They're still at Six Flags New England and Busch Gardens, too.
Old 20 December 2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
They still have one at the Ohio State Fair, though I don't think it lasts long enough for even a quickie. Kids do like to spit off of it, though. I saw one little tyke do the deed as his car was coming towards ours. In my best voice of doom I said as our cars passed "I saw what you did!". The expression on that kid's face was worth the price of the ticket!
Perfect.
Old 20 December 2013, 10:02 PM

Cedar Point still has a Skyride, but it's a pretty short ride.

The Skyway at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom was taken out because of new construction. The wire-path was set up so it made an almost 90 degree turn in what was then a no-man's-land in the corner of the park north of Tomorrowland and east of Fantasyland. When they wanted to add new attractions in that area, the turning station had to go.