snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 August 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Though I'm not sure how well it would work, given that no one else is as motivated by spite as I am. I may have to become a fan of that Doc McStuffins and since I am wa-ay outside the target demographic and do not have kids, it will just look weird, dammit!
When my nephew lived with us, Disney Junior was on near-constant play (to the extent that he has no familiarity with Sesame Street, despite my best efforts). I actually found their material to be rather enjoyable.

That plus Doc is one of the few black female leads in kids' TV. As long as she doesn't let that get to her ginormous head...

Anyway, I finally saw Mockingjay Part 1. Is it just me, or is it highly unlikely that Panem could actually exist?
Old 17 August 2017, 01:32 AM

Mouse

I saw Shattered Glass. A decent little film. Always suspected that there was only so much that Hayden Christensen could do with George Lucas's directing/script (not even Olivier could deliver the "I don't like sand" bit), and was pleasantly surprised to discover that was true. Christenson plays the disgraced fake journalist, Stephen Glass. Glass is much like Anakin in that they're both whiny, needy a-holes suffering from narcissism and an over-inflated sense of self, but the reason the character of Glass works, whereas Anakin does not, is that Shattered Glass makes it clear that Stephen Glass is a lying, manipulative prick, and that his cringing obsequiousness isn't born solely out of insecurity, but out of a desire, to shift away blame and save his ass; get them feeling sorry for him, so they back off and don't come down on him like a ton of bricks.

Shattered Glass also works in part due to Peter Sarsgaard's character, Chuck Lane, who once he goes after Glass, just steamrolls him and gives zero NFBSKs about Glass's efforts to save his own ass.

I also particularly liked the scene where Lane fires him. Stephen Glass starts crying and trying to convince him that he's suicidal, but Lane remains an absolute stone wall that stubbornly refuses to give no matter how much Glass tries. Lane knows Stephen inside and out, knows that he is a con artist and all this is a ruse. Basic rule of con artists: try to keep the mark off balance and when caught, play to his sympathies.

Again, both actors give fascinating performance with Christensen playing the stunted narcissist and Sarsgaard stubbornly refusing to back down from facts and evidence.

From what I heard, Christensen has semi-retired from acting and is hanging out on a farm. If he's happy with his life, I'm glad for him. Better he be happy and retired, than wind up going down the path of Jake Lloyd.

But if Christensen might decide to take on another role, I might be willing to see it. Again, there's only so much anyone could do with the material used in the prequels.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:26 PM

Ghost In The Shell: The whitewashing doesn't bother me. The fact that they haven't learned from the mistakes Thunderbirds made does. It was a pale, PG-13 shadow...of Blade Runner.
Old 05 September 2017, 01:16 PM

Romeo + Juliet: This is the most painfully 90s anything of anything ever, I'm sure of it.

Cinderella: Once Upon A Time In The West: It's possible to update Cinderella. It's possible to tell the story with animals. It's also possible to have Cinderella be an utter badass. Unfortunately, this movie fumbles all three of those things. Which is actually a pity, as it has some fine animation.

Death Note: It was the best the Americans could do with source material that tends to drag. The one part that does get me miffed though is the bit where the Note itself doesn't specify how people should die.
Old 06 September 2017, 01:08 AM

I'd give the Netflix Death Note a 3/5. It's okay provided you don't compare it to the anime. There's some significant differences, mostly in characters. Light and Misa/Mia are remarkably different in the movie versus the anime. William Defoe does a really good job as Ryuk, Lakeith Standfeld is a solid L, but I just didn't care for the way they changed Light's personality.
Old 06 September 2017, 04:44 AM

Just saw "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume II", and was....a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely had the 'sophomore slump'. Baby Groot was cute. Making Kurt Russell look 30 years younger was *amazing*. And I did like the Yondu-Peter interaction. But....it just seemed to be lacking something.
Old 08 September 2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
Just saw "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume II", and was....a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely had the 'sophomore slump'. Baby Groot was cute. Making Kurt Russell look 30 years younger was *amazing*. And I did like the Yondu-Peter interaction. But....it just seemed to be lacking something.
I saw it yesterday. I think the only major complaint I have is that the characters grated a little too much.

I also dusted off my Blu-Ray of High School Musical. I'm surprised those who complained about perceived "race cucking" in Bella And The Bulldogs (I saw a video from an actual racist that said that wasn't the case. Plus I watched a couple of episodes, and Bella clearly has no designs on the black guy) haven't complained about the actual race mixing here (Plus, a character named "Chad" only gets with one girl and is portrayed as kind of an idiot. I find that hilarious, but that's probably only because I read WHTM). In case you're wondering: back then I was just amused at how baking, dancing and playing the cello were big secrets.

Oh, and can an actual teacher weigh in on the character of Ms Darbus?
Old 09 September 2017, 09:41 PM

Just watched IT. Awesome movie. The kids were outstanding, as was Pennywise. My wife said it's the scariest movie she's ever seen.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, but just in case: They really need to cast Amy Adams as an adult Bev, with Isla Fisher as adult Bill's wife.
Old 10 September 2017, 01:01 AM

Mouse

Saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. I freely admit that I didn't have really high expectations for the movie. It's directed by Luc Besson and his films are generally heavy on the pretty, but light on the intelligence part. For the most part, the pretty is so stunning that you're willing to ignore much of the stupid, so it's still worth your time. So long as it doesn't dive too far into stupid like Lucy, the stupid is usually tolerable.

And the visuals really were stunning as all get out, like the designs for the aliens and the sets. I would totally buy like a storyboard book about the making of this movie, because it is just so damn stunning, with nearly every scene suitable for framing.

But yeah, the plot and the actual story part is kind of stupid and ultimately superfluous; after a while I just tuned out and let my eyes enjoy all the pretty. Though on the whole, I felt like I was watching storyboards with a soundtrack.

I am wondering if Besson has some kind of fetish for dance routines and blue aliens. It's probably one of the perks of being a director, being able to indulge your fetishes. Though while you have every right to ask "Can I?" the question you need to ask is "Should I?" Rhianna's dance routine was fun to watch and made me question my dedication to heterosexuality, but it is very much a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment. An entertaining Big-Lipped Alligator Moment, but still.

Though I was disappointed with the whole bit with Bubble. Her intro seemed to imply that she would have a more substantial impact on the plot, yet she's out of the story within ten minutes, making you be like, "The Hell?!"
Old 11 September 2017, 11:58 PM

Mouse

Forgot to mention another thing that annoyed me: how the titular character spends the entire movie wiping his ass on the rules, then at the climax, is suddenly like "We should follow the rules" for no other reason than to milk the dramatic tension a little longer. To say nothing as to how his female sidekick is way more competent, but I'm not going to go too far with that line of thought, because I already do so many rants as is.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:32 AM

Watched the 2011 miniseries of Clue last night. It's entertaining, but there are some odd leaps in logic. Most of them come from the story bending itself out of shape to accommodate references to the game, including a character being named "Mr No Boddy". The candlestick figures into the plot (it's actually a key to a clue, rather than a murder weapon—in fact, nobody dies at all) while the various colours now become branches of a conspiracy.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Forgot to mention another thing that annoyed me: how the titular character spends the entire movie wiping his ass on the rules, then at the climax, is suddenly like "We should follow the rules" for no other reason than to milk the dramatic tension a little longer. To say nothing as to how his female sidekick is way more competent, but I'm not going to go too far with that line of thought, because I already do so many rants as is.
Laureline was always way way more competent than Valerian in the original comics, he was always a borderline parody of macho action heroes.

Laureline also got equal billing in the original comics but for some reason they decided to drop her name from the title for the film.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:34 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Laureline was always way way more competent than Valerian in the original comics, he was always a borderline parody of macho action heroes.
If they were going for a parody of a macho action hero, then I can understand why Dane DeHaan seemed a little out of his depth. Maybe I'm biased because the first role I saw him in, was in Chronicle, but Dane DeHaan gives off more the troubled loner vibe, than the over-confidant jock. You just need someone really outgoing for that kind of plot, the kind of person who lights up a room the instant he steps in it, yet at the same time, has enough charisma and self-awareness, so you're like, "Okay, I understand why people would want to hang out with this guy."

Dane DeHaan wasn't jaw-droppingly terrible or anything like that, just that he seemed a little out of his depth. The part requires someone who is cocky and self-assured, not the more cerebral type.

Again, my expectations going in were kind of low anyway. Would love to buy a book of the concept art of this movie, but like I said, Luc Besson movies are usually heavy on the pretty, but light on the intelligence. So long as he doesn't go too stupid, it's okay. A large reason I like movies is for the aesthetic appeal: the world is so much brighter and prettier on the silver screen than it is in real life. Also, movies have the common courtesy to make sense and have internal logic which again, makes them leaps and bounds better than real life.
Old 17 September 2017, 11:25 PM

Chicken

Watched Chicken People on Amazon Prime video. It's billed as being like Best in Show, but for real. I liked it but there's definitely a surreal quality to it that kept making me think maybe it really was a mockumentary. But, yes, apparently Columbus truly does have a ginormous show chicken championship every fall. I guess if the Expo Center can handle the Quarter Horse Congress, it can also accommodate thousands of show chickens...and ducks...and turkeys, probably geese as well. It seems a bit weird to lump all fowl together like this for the purpose of determining the Super Grand Champion. Ducks aren't even in the same taxonomic order as chickens and turkeys.
Old 18 September 2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
Lakeith Standfeld is a solid L
The child raised to be a globe trotting super detective angle came across even sillier in this format. If you're going to have heightened reality like that you need to prepare for that by having similar details in their day to day lives that set an appropriate tone. With the anime you get a bit of that for free just because it's animated, though it was kind of odd there too.

I like Margaret Qualley, so I thought it was too bad when she was cast in this. It seems unlikely to bolster the resume of anyone involved.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:49 AM

Batmand and Harley Quinn

Why can't DC's live action division ever produce anything like this?