snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 12 September 2017, 04:42 PM

I had to put earplugs in, and I must have pushed some wax in deep, because now it feels like my right ear is underwater.
Old 12 September 2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
LTTAM : The seal on the top of american CD cases. Not only are said CD wrapped in plastic, but the record companies add a sticky white seal on the top of the case that is a b*tch to remove. And, AFAIK, the United Sates is the only place where that happens, because CDs I buy in other countries don't have these sticky seals. Now, I know that there are more important matters to be annoyed about, but...
I dealt with annoying CD packaging for years when I worked at a used CD store. You can pop off the front lid of the disc to more easily peel the seal off. There is a nice visual instruction here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...sharp-objects/
Hope this helps.
Old 12 September 2017, 06:47 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Which they will likely blame on you! Or anyway on the fact that it's been tenanted as long as it has.
Everything GM has posted about his landlord has indicated that she very much appreciates what he does; it doesn't sound as if she'll blame him for the condition of the house.

My LTTAM: Caraway seeds in rye bread. Rye has plenty of flavor on its own, and they get stuck in my teeth.

Seaboe
Old 12 September 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
LTTAM : The seal on the top of american CD cases. Not only are said CD wrapped in plastic, but the record companies add a sticky white seal on the top of the case that is a b*tch to remove. And, AFAIK, the United Sates is the only place where that happens, because CDs I buy in other countries don't have these sticky seals. Now, I know that there are more important matters to be annoyed about, but...
I find them annoying but not that difficult to remove either - the adhesive they use these days isn't that sticky and they usually peel off for me. Back in the olden days they used a little sticker to close it along the edge, which we called a "dogbone" because of the shape. These usually had a little holographic record label logo on it and the adhesive was super sticky - I have discs I bought in college over 20 years ago that still have the dogbones attached, I gave up ever peeling those suckers!

PROTIP: if you're opening a traditional plastic jewel box with the label on the top, take the cellophane off, then unlatch the bottom hinge. Swing the lid open using the sticker as the "hinge", and peel it off. Works every time (used to work in a music store, and would often open stuff for people who complained to me about the sticker closure).
Old 13 September 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
As a jogger or pedestrian, when I'm approaching an intersection, it annoys the heck out of me when a car that could have passed through the intersection just fine decides instead to wait for me to cross. Dude! I'm like 20 feet from the crosswalk! You would have been well through the crosswalk before I even stepped a foot onto it.
I get this a lot when I walk my dog in a certain area - it's a shopping district, and the city has put signs up at a few intersections that tell you that legally, you have to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. I have no problem with this except as you say, people will stop for peds on the sidewalk who aren't near the curb yet or indicating that they're even going to cross the street and it's gotten worse since the signs went up.

The flipside to this are the people who just stroll right out into the street without checking to see if oncoming traffic is even going to be able to stop in time - this is also a common occurrence along this road.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
people will stop for peds on the sidewalk who aren't near the curb yet or indicating that they're even going to cross the street and it's gotten worse since the signs went up.
I would often get something similar to this when I was on my bike, back when I was at my previous job and lived close enough to work to be able to commute by bike. Drivers who clearly had the right of way were always stopping and waving me through the intersection. This happened most often at the many four-way stops in my neighborhood, but on a few occasions people would stop and wave for me to go ahead in places where I had a stop sign and they didn't. Yes, I know there are some cyclists out there who blow through stop signs, who make the rest of us look bad and lead drivers to assume we all do that, but there's no reason to stop and wait for me when I'm slowing down indicating I'm going to stop, or already have stopped, when you have the right of way.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:15 AM

LTTAM: “Helpful” coworkers who grab everything off the printer and then go around asking whose it is so they can hand it to them. Two things:

1. If I print something and don’t immediately go to pick it up, it’s usually because I’m still printing a few more things. It doesn’t help me if you bring part of it to me, when I’m still going to have to get up to get the rest.

2. It’s also not helpful to me when, once I do get up and head to the printer, my documents are no longer there because you’re already on the other side of the wall asking people if the documents are theirs.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
LTTAM: “Helpful” coworkers who grab everything off the printer and then go around asking whose it is so they can hand it to them.
We have a tray specfically for random pieces of paper that people find on the printer. This seems to cut down on this. The printer is also a fax machine, so it helps to have a place to throw faxes when they're not pertinent to you, but you don't have time to figure out who should be dealing with them.

Yes, health care still uses faxes! It's an antiquated and terrible system. Our hospital even uses pagers.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post

LTTAM: we paid $100 to get the carpet steamcleaned and it doesn't look any different at all even though when the cleaner poured out the water from his steamcleaner it was apparently black from all the dirt it picked up. The old stains are still there and the bits which I scrubbed by hand because the cat threw up are still noticeably whiter and lighter than the surrounding carpet, so the carpet still looks terrible.

At least it's actually cleaner, I guess??
As a professional who had a 2 1/2 year apprenticeship in the cleaning business and has done more carpet cleanings that I can remember:
The older the stain, the less likely it can come out. We usually told the customer that. Also it depends on what caused the stain.
Last but not least. I am not sold on the steam cleaning. I still think the good old deep shampoo and spray extraction method is best. But since it can't really be done with just laying some hoses from a van and is not quick money, it is hardly done anymore.
Old 13 September 2017, 11:57 PM

I'm having general "no one getting back to me about anything" issues.

One of my short stories got accepted by an online journal. Two weeks ago they sent out an email saying all accepted stories would be published the next week. That hasn't happened, nor have they posted anything on their blog or Facebook page.

I got in contact with a local group seeking volunteers. They said they'd be in touch. They haven't been.

I submitted another story to a site that said submitters would hear back in mid August. I haven't heard anything from them.

And so on. Just a long list of small irritations.
Old 14 September 2017, 11:00 AM

A long night of poor quality sleep.

The feeling of everthing piling up around me and not being able to find what I need to start on first.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:03 PM

Glasses

I'm going on a business trip next week, and there is a dress code, not only for the actual business part of the trip, but for the so-called social event as well (so-called because we are required to go).

Seaboe
Old 14 September 2017, 02:07 PM

I'm curious. What are they requiring in the dress code?
Old 14 September 2017, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Since I don't wear dresses or skirts, for me it's blouses (polo shirts are considered too casual) and pants that aren't jeans or chinos (I'm not sure what they have against chinos). Based on my 19 years with the company, "jeans" includes not only denim, but pants that are styled like jeans (i.e., rear patch pockets). Again, not so bad for the business part, but to require this for what is supposed to be a relaxed social gathering ticks me off.

Seaboe
Old 14 September 2017, 02:19 PM

I don't blame you. I was curious as to whether or not they could require you to wear skirts. I know that the last time I was at Mackinaw Island the Grand Hotel required women to wear skirts in the public spaces. I told my DH that even if I had the money I'd sleep in a tent or a motel 6 first.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:21 PM

My people . The last time I wore a dress was to my son's wedding. I don't even own a skirt or any other kind of dress aside from that "mother of the groom" dress - which isn't going to be getting another airing I suspect. I got out of the habit of wearing dresses and skirts when I was a young mother chasing active kids around and just never got back into it. I like my jeans and I've got "dressy" pants for any other occasion.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:29 PM

I don't have anything against dresses. I don't have many and seldom wear them as I seldom have a reason to, and really I have to be dressing up to wear them. I simply don't dress up much anymore. When we played music I used to have a number of dresses and skirts. Not so much anymore. However, I do have a big problem with having to pay a ridiculous amount of money to stay somewhere, and the people I'm paying the money to expect me to adhere to an antiquated and sexist dress code. People at work tell me I'm a hippy. I'm too young to be a hippy, but I gotta' fight the man...man!
Old 14 September 2017, 02:39 PM

I just don't like the way I look in a skirt and I can't be bothered shopping for clothes anyway so the last thing I want to do is try on dresses. Jeans and other pants for the most part either fit or they don't fit, dresses are different. At least for me. You'd think "hey it's my size" problem solved but that's not true for dresses IME. Life is just too short to pick out a bunch of possibilities, try them all on, discard them all and then lather, rinse, repeat .
Old 14 September 2017, 02:44 PM

No doubt. My last dress foray was for my younger son's wedding reception. I bought it at GoodWill. A brown a-line sweater dress, I wore brown tights and brown short boots. I looked a bit like an old go go dancer. I received compliments though, so I guess it turned out alright. I'd rather wear a dress for something like that than dress pants. I find getting dress pants to fit me is a trial.
Old 14 September 2017, 03:29 PM

I rarely wear "dressy" dresses, but I wear dresses pretty regularly, especially in warm/hot weather. I have one dress I call my festival dress because it's cool and comfy, and I like to wear it to summer festivals.