snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #361  
Old 12 September 2017, 04:42 PM
Darth Credence's Avatar
Darth Credence Darth Credence is offline
 
Join Date: 28 October 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,214
Default

I had to put earplugs in, and I must have pushed some wax in deep, because now it feels like my right ear is underwater.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 12 September 2017, 06:07 PM
popkulture popkulture is offline
 
 
Join Date: 02 January 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
LTTAM : The seal on the top of american CD cases. Not only are said CD wrapped in plastic, but the record companies add a sticky white seal on the top of the case that is a b*tch to remove. And, AFAIK, the United Sates is the only place where that happens, because CDs I buy in other countries don't have these sticky seals. Now, I know that there are more important matters to be annoyed about, but...
I dealt with annoying CD packaging for years when I worked at a used CD store. You can pop off the front lid of the disc to more easily peel the seal off. There is a nice visual instruction here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...sharp-objects/
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 12 September 2017, 06:47 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,364
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Which they will likely blame on you! Or anyway on the fact that it's been tenanted as long as it has.
Everything GM has posted about his landlord has indicated that she very much appreciates what he does; it doesn't sound as if she'll blame him for the condition of the house.

My LTTAM: Caraway seeds in rye bread. Rye has plenty of flavor on its own, and they get stuck in my teeth.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 12 September 2017, 11:54 PM
Roadsterboy's Avatar
Roadsterboy Roadsterboy is offline
 
Join Date: 13 September 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
LTTAM : The seal on the top of american CD cases. Not only are said CD wrapped in plastic, but the record companies add a sticky white seal on the top of the case that is a b*tch to remove. And, AFAIK, the United Sates is the only place where that happens, because CDs I buy in other countries don't have these sticky seals. Now, I know that there are more important matters to be annoyed about, but...
I find them annoying but not that difficult to remove either - the adhesive they use these days isn't that sticky and they usually peel off for me. Back in the olden days they used a little sticker to close it along the edge, which we called a "dogbone" because of the shape. These usually had a little holographic record label logo on it and the adhesive was super sticky - I have discs I bought in college over 20 years ago that still have the dogbones attached, I gave up ever peeling those suckers!

PROTIP: if you're opening a traditional plastic jewel box with the label on the top, take the cellophane off, then unlatch the bottom hinge. Swing the lid open using the sticker as the "hinge", and peel it off. Works every time (used to work in a music store, and would often open stuff for people who complained to me about the sticker closure).
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 13 September 2017, 12:01 AM
Roadsterboy's Avatar
Roadsterboy Roadsterboy is offline
 
Join Date: 13 September 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
As a jogger or pedestrian, when I'm approaching an intersection, it annoys the heck out of me when a car that could have passed through the intersection just fine decides instead to wait for me to cross. Dude! I'm like 20 feet from the crosswalk! You would have been well through the crosswalk before I even stepped a foot onto it.
I get this a lot when I walk my dog in a certain area - it's a shopping district, and the city has put signs up at a few intersections that tell you that legally, you have to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. I have no problem with this except as you say, people will stop for peds on the sidewalk who aren't near the curb yet or indicating that they're even going to cross the street and it's gotten worse since the signs went up.

The flipside to this are the people who just stroll right out into the street without checking to see if oncoming traffic is even going to be able to stop in time - this is also a common occurrence along this road.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 13 September 2017, 12:28 AM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 14,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
people will stop for peds on the sidewalk who aren't near the curb yet or indicating that they're even going to cross the street and it's gotten worse since the signs went up.
I would often get something similar to this when I was on my bike, back when I was at my previous job and lived close enough to work to be able to commute by bike. Drivers who clearly had the right of way were always stopping and waving me through the intersection. This happened most often at the many four-way stops in my neighborhood, but on a few occasions people would stop and wave for me to go ahead in places where I had a stop sign and they didn't. Yes, I know there are some cyclists out there who blow through stop signs, who make the rest of us look bad and lead drivers to assume we all do that, but there's no reason to stop and wait for me when I'm slowing down indicating I'm going to stop, or already have stopped, when you have the right of way.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 13 September 2017, 02:15 AM
1958Fury's Avatar
1958Fury 1958Fury is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,622
Default

LTTAM: “Helpful” coworkers who grab everything off the printer and then go around asking whose it is so they can hand it to them. Two things:


1. If I print something and don’t immediately go to pick it up, it’s usually because I’m still printing a few more things. It doesn’t help me if you bring part of it to me, when I’m still going to have to get up to get the rest.


2. It’s also not helpful to me when, once I do get up and head to the printer, my documents are no longer there because you’re already on the other side of the wall asking people if the documents are theirs.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 13 September 2017, 02:21 AM
Beejtronic's Avatar
Beejtronic Beejtronic is offline
 
Join Date: 28 November 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 2,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
LTTAM: “Helpful” coworkers who grab everything off the printer and then go around asking whose it is so they can hand it to them.
We have a tray specfically for random pieces of paper that people find on the printer. This seems to cut down on this. The printer is also a fax machine, so it helps to have a place to throw faxes when they're not pertinent to you, but you don't have time to figure out who should be dealing with them.

Yes, health care still uses faxes! It's an antiquated and terrible system. Our hospital even uses pagers.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 13 September 2017, 06:56 AM
RobDBlackwolf's Avatar
RobDBlackwolf RobDBlackwolf is offline
 
Join Date: 28 December 2005
Location: Lancaster, OH
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post

LTTAM: we paid $100 to get the carpet steamcleaned and it doesn't look any different at all even though when the cleaner poured out the water from his steamcleaner it was apparently black from all the dirt it picked up. The old stains are still there and the bits which I scrubbed by hand because the cat threw up are still noticeably whiter and lighter than the surrounding carpet, so the carpet still looks terrible.

At least it's actually cleaner, I guess??
As a professional who had a 2 1/2 year apprenticeship in the cleaning business and has done more carpet cleanings that I can remember:
The older the stain, the less likely it can come out. We usually told the customer that. Also it depends on what caused the stain.
Last but not least. I am not sold on the steam cleaning. I still think the good old deep shampoo and spray extraction method is best. But since it can't really be done with just laying some hoses from a van and is not quick money, it is hardly done anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 13 September 2017, 11:57 PM
Veruca's Avatar
Veruca Veruca is offline
 
Join Date: 07 August 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 875
Default

I'm having general "no one getting back to me about anything" issues.

One of my short stories got accepted by an online journal. Two weeks ago they sent out an email saying all accepted stories would be published the next week. That hasn't happened, nor have they posted anything on their blog or Facebook page.

I got in contact with a local group seeking volunteers. They said they'd be in touch. They haven't been.

I submitted another story to a site that said submitters would hear back in mid August. I haven't heard anything from them.

And so on. Just a long list of small irritations.
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 14 September 2017, 11:00 AM
mbravo's Avatar
mbravo mbravo is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 865
Default

A long night of poor quality sleep.

The feeling of everthing piling up around me and not being able to find what I need to start on first.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:03 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,364
Glasses

I'm going on a business trip next week, and there is a dress code, not only for the actual business part of the trip, but for the so-called social event as well (so-called because we are required to go).

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:07 PM
Sylvanz's Avatar
Sylvanz Sylvanz is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,861
Default

I'm curious. What are they requiring in the dress code?
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:13 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,364
Glasses

Since I don't wear dresses or skirts, for me it's blouses (polo shirts are considered too casual) and pants that aren't jeans or chinos (I'm not sure what they have against chinos). Based on my 19 years with the company, "jeans" includes not only denim, but pants that are styled like jeans (i.e., rear patch pockets). Again, not so bad for the business part, but to require this for what is supposed to be a relaxed social gathering ticks me off.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:19 PM
Sylvanz's Avatar
Sylvanz Sylvanz is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,861
Default

I don't blame you. I was curious as to whether or not they could require you to wear skirts. I know that the last time I was at Mackinaw Island the Grand Hotel required women to wear skirts in the public spaces. I told my DH that even if I had the money I'd sleep in a tent or a motel 6 first.
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:21 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,210
Default

My people . The last time I wore a dress was to my son's wedding. I don't even own a skirt or any other kind of dress aside from that "mother of the groom" dress - which isn't going to be getting another airing I suspect. I got out of the habit of wearing dresses and skirts when I was a young mother chasing active kids around and just never got back into it. I like my jeans and I've got "dressy" pants for any other occasion.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:29 PM
Sylvanz's Avatar
Sylvanz Sylvanz is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,861
Default

I don't have anything against dresses. I don't have many and seldom wear them as I seldom have a reason to, and really I have to be dressing up to wear them. I simply don't dress up much anymore. When we played music I used to have a number of dresses and skirts. Not so much anymore. However, I do have a big problem with having to pay a ridiculous amount of money to stay somewhere, and the people I'm paying the money to expect me to adhere to an antiquated and sexist dress code. People at work tell me I'm a hippy. I'm too young to be a hippy, but I gotta' fight the man...man!
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:39 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,210
Default

I just don't like the way I look in a skirt and I can't be bothered shopping for clothes anyway so the last thing I want to do is try on dresses. Jeans and other pants for the most part either fit or they don't fit, dresses are different. At least for me. You'd think "hey it's my size" problem solved but that's not true for dresses IME. Life is just too short to pick out a bunch of possibilities, try them all on, discard them all and then lather, rinse, repeat .
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 14 September 2017, 02:44 PM
Sylvanz's Avatar
Sylvanz Sylvanz is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,861
Default

No doubt. My last dress foray was for my younger son's wedding reception. I bought it at GoodWill. A brown a-line sweater dress, I wore brown tights and brown short boots. I looked a bit like an old go go dancer. I received compliments though, so I guess it turned out alright. I'd rather wear a dress for something like that than dress pants. I find getting dress pants to fit me is a trial.
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 14 September 2017, 03:29 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,217
Default

I rarely wear "dressy" dresses, but I wear dresses pretty regularly, especially in warm/hot weather. I have one dress I call my festival dress because it's cool and comfy, and I like to wear it to summer festivals.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little things that annoy you Gutter Monkey Rantidote 1216 23 July 2017 04:58 PM
Little things that annoy you Gutter Monkey Rantidote 1003 04 November 2015 05:20 PM
Little things that annoy you Sylvanz Rantidote 999 03 January 2015 07:50 PM
Little things that annoy you smittykins Rantidote 1056 18 August 2014 04:58 PM
Little things that annoy you Avril Rantidote 1006 08 August 2013 12:14 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.