snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 08 September 2017, 03:38 PM

Icon220 Foot and mouth disease

The children of a friend of mine have just gotten this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20342322

She isn't worried though because according to her the best treatment is chamomile tea, so she's stocked up. Sigh. I'm reassured to read that it is usually mild and most children don't need to see a doctor but it bothers me greatly that her immediate first response to her children getting sick is to reach for a "natural" remedy, not because she knows anyone personally who has used this and it worked but because she googled it and someone out there in the great wide world recommended it.
Old 08 September 2017, 06:38 PM

Glasses

I hope she has the sense to recognize the symptoms of dehydration, since that seems to be the major side effect.

Seaboe
Old 08 September 2017, 07:06 PM

Here, at least, it is called hand-foot-and-mouth disease, perhaps to make more clear that it is unrelated to the animal disease known as foot-and-mouth or hoof-and-mouth.

There is not really any necessary treatment for it, unless there are complications, as it is caused by a virus. Dehydration is definitely a concern because the mouth and throat sores can make kids not want to eat or drink, or even swallow their saliva (drooling can be a symptom in younger kids).

I know people have differing opinions on using pain medication in general, and for kids specifically, but it was distressing to me when our kids had had HFMD recently and I learned that friends were not giving any pain meds (OTC) to their kids who had it. I've had throat pain bad enough to not want to swallow even saliva, and I could not imagine choosing to not take pain meds for it. I don't understand making a choice like that for your kids. Even if you think pain meds are overused, how harmful must you think them to be if you don't give them for this kind of pain?
Old 09 September 2017, 12:09 AM

Yeah, my kiddo had this and you could tell his mouth hurt a lot. He was still nursing quite a bit, but it hurt so much to suckle that he was trying to use his teeth! He went bottle-only until he felt better. That said, it is rather mild. There was an outbreak at daycare recently and they didn't even bother to exclude kids with symptoms.

ETA: I've also always heard it referred to as hand, foot and mouth.
Old 09 September 2017, 12:45 AM

Kids here get that as one of the regular childhood diseases. However, it's caused by more than one virus so they can get it more than once.
Old 09 September 2017, 04:06 AM

Yeah, my kids got it twice, though the second time was much milder.
Old 11 September 2017, 02:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I know people have differing opinions on using pain medication in general, and for kids specifically, but it was distressing to me when our kids had had HFMD recently and I learned that friends were not giving any pain meds (OTC) to their kids who had it.
When my nephews were little, my sister never hesitated to give them pain medication. She'd read somewhere (I don't know where, and the information would be more than 20 years out of date even if I did) that children tend to be under-medicated for pain. She'd grown up with headaches (probably stress related), with parents who believed their children when they said something hurt, so doing something about pain for children was the norm for her.

I personally under-medicate for my own pain (because I'm afraid the pain relievers will lose their efficacy), but I'd never presume to judge the pain of another person.

Seaboe
Old 11 September 2017, 03:49 PM

I handed over decisions about OTC symptomatic relief (pain relievers, decongestants, etc.) to my daughter at a fairly early age.