snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 27 August 2014, 07:08 PM

Whalephant Disney World 's River Country Closed by Brain-Eating Amoeba?

Hello, here is a rumour about a brain-eating amoeba on River Country :

Claim:
In 1980, an 11-year-old boy (more in others versions) who had been swimming at Walt Disney World’s River Country died from a brain disease linked to amoeba at River Country. River Country had to close when Florida law changed to require waterparks to use water from municipal water systems, not from natural bodies of water.

Except wikipedia's and yesterland's page, i've found nothing. It is true?
Old 26 February 2015, 01:32 AM

Disney Not true

That is not the reason why River Country closed.

It was a casualty of 9/11/01. I worked there for the last 5 years of their operation. When we closed for the 2001 season on 9/8 or 9/9, memory fails me, we were planning on reopening in Spring of 2002. However due to a lack of attendance following 9/11 it did not reopen in 2002. I was hoping they would reopen in 2003 and 2004. Sadly it did not. After sitting dormant for that long it was not financially viable to reopen and it was left to be reclaimed by nature.

For the record the water was treated with bromine.

A lot people were heart broken because it did not reopen. It was a close knit family who were separated for several months of the year. Then reunited for the summer. Lots of fun and shenanigans.