snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 17 April 2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I have got an arc off a car battery before, I was not part of the connection, but I think it would have hurt had I been.
Probably not. The arc was caused by something in the car still drawing power. Or if you mean you have gotten an arc off the battery when the positive side shorted out to ground, the only way you could get hurt from that is if you hit your head on the hood jumping out of the way.
Old 17 April 2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Shoot, all us electrical engineers with experience know that to test whether or not a 120V circuit is live, you have to lick your fingers before touching it.
I thought that was why you had interns, apprentices, or assistants?
Old 18 April 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
My experience is that the cops are reasonable if you're not trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
That's been my experience, too, but I think it's also relevant that I'm white and articulate enough to appear wealthy and educated. Less-privileged people often have very different experiences with cops. Remember this thread?
Old 18 April 2014, 12:25 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Shoot, all us electrical engineers with experience know that to test whether or not a 120V circuit is live, you have to lick your fingers before touching it.
Over the years I've met a few electricians who have such badly callused fingers that they claim to not be able to feel 120V with their fingers, during a brief "touch test". I'm sure they'd feel it if they grabbed on, but not by mere touch.

I have done the 120V touch test with the back of my finger, just above the first knuckle, so that the finger contracts away from the wire if it is live. This was before no-touch voltage detectors (but not before meters, so it's not a smart thing to do), and while I explain the technique, I haven't seen anyone do this in almost 20 years...
Old 18 April 2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I have got an arc off a car battery before, I was not part of the connection, but I think it would have hurt had I been.
Probably yes or no.

If you got an arc you had high current flow and if you had been part of the circuit with current flow that high it would have hurt like hell.

But, if you are part of the circuit it is unlikely (but not impossible) to get enough current flow to get an arc.

So usually, if you had been part of the circuit the arc wouldn't have happened.