Comment: There have been a number of articles recently about the 1967
Spyder Ferrari from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Apparently, it is going on
the auction block soon. One article says the car going for sale is THE car
from the movie. Another article doesn't even mention the movie, and that
the car is already sold for $27M. And yet another article says the car in
the movie is a replica, and thus, the car for sale is a replica. What
gives?
Old 21 August 2013, 08:02 PM

Since the most reliable answer is clearly the random one off the top of my head, I was also of the understanding that the Ferrari in the film was a replica, because the real ones of that model (250 California?) were so valuable even at the time that they couldn't get the insurance to use one.

(The black Ferrari Daytona in the first two series of Miami Vice was a replica too, and it annoyed Ferrari enough that, rather than sue the makers, they gave them a couple of real Testarossas to use in future series. Good move, Ferrari.)
Old 21 August 2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Since the most reliable answer is clearly the random one off the top of my head, I was also of the understanding that the Ferrari in the film was a replica, because the real ones of that model (250 California?) were so valuable even at the time that they couldn't get the insurance to use one.
Assuming you right, the fact that it isn't a real Ferrari detracts from the value, but the fact that it was used in a famous movie adds value. It's really hard to say how much a one of a kind item like that is worth -- it's essentially worth whatever some wealthy collector is willing to pay for it. (I've probably been watching too much Pawn Stars lately).
Old 21 August 2013, 08:55 PM

According to IMDB, it was an MG with a fiberglass body to make it look like a Ferrari. they made three of them and crashed at least one. If one of those cars still exists it probably isn't worth anything close to $1 million. I would guess you are talking well below $100,000
Old 21 August 2013, 09:03 PM

I agree - the replica car(s) from the film wouldn't be worth very much, but a real one is one of the most expensive cars in the world - according to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari...nia_Spyder_LWB

Quote:
It remains highly valuable for automotive collection, one example auctioned on August 18, 2007 at Monterey, California for $4.9 million. In May 2008, English broadcaster Chris Evans, set a new world record for the highest price ever paid for an automobile at auction when he paid $10,894,400 for a Spyder. The car, which was the 13th to be made, was once owned by Hollywood star James Coburn.
For a real one, $27M would be almost three times the last price paid, but not totally outside the realms of possibility. It is a very rare and valuable car.

Googling does reveal that one of the replicas from the film is up for sale:

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/07/01/f...pyder-replica/

It's up for auction, and that site doesn't give a reserve price. But it would be much less than a real one.

(eta) Wikipedia's article is inconsistent as to whether the car in the film, and indeed the car bought by Chris Evans, was a 250 GT California Spyder LWB or a 250 GT Spider California SWB. I quoted something from the section on the 250 GT California Spyder LWB. Further down, under 250 GT Spider California SWB, it says:

Quote:
A fiberglass-bodied replica of a 1961 250 GT Spider California, based on an MG, was featured in the 1986 film Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

A record price for a 250 GT at auction was set on May 18, 2008 when a black 1961 SWB example that had been owned by James Coburn was sold for 5.5 million. The buyer was the radio DJ, Chris Evans.
They might even be the same car for all I can tell. And since the film one is a replica, it's a moot point, since the differences are probably in internal parts that a cosmetic replica wouldn't share. Wikipedia sometimes isn't very reliable like that...

(eta again) Wikipedia's article about the film says that they did use a real one for the studio close-ups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferris_Bueller%27s_Day_Off

Quote:
"The insert shots of the Ferrari were of the real 250 GT California", Hughes explains in the DVD commentary. "The cars we used in the wide shots were obviously reproductions. There were only 100 of these cars, so it was way too expensive to destroy. We had a number of replicas made. They were pretty good, but for the tight shots I needed a real one, so we brought one in to the stage and shot the inserts with it."
But it's a replica that's for sale.

Last edited by Richard W; 21 August 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 21 August 2013, 10:59 PM

Driver

Two stories clouding into one.

Yes, the replica from FBDO is for sale, but in the same week a similar looking 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4S NART Spyder was sold for charity - for $27M.

In short,

is not quite the same as...

Old 22 August 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolie View Post
Two stories clouding into one.
Well spotted...

Going by the pictures in the Wikipedia article, the bodywork for the "American" 275 GTS Roadster was quite different from the European 275 GTB model. The GTB doesn't look much like the car in the film, but the GTS does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_275

More of the 275 GTS were built than were built of the 250 Spyder (whichever variant)... so if one of those went for $27M it implies that a 250 Spyder might go for even more these days. But for things this rare and collectible there's not really any such thing as a "market value" - I guess the price depends on whether there are more than one or two people in the world who really want one and can afford it at the time an example comes up for auction...