snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 10 November 2018, 03:08 PM

It's not clear to me whether Palm Beach actually is illegally attempting to count ballots in secret. If they're keeping out people who are legitimately supposed to be there, and/or if they're trying to count the ballots with representatives of only one party present, then I don't think they should be doing that. I'd be vehemently opposed to Republicans locking out Democrats (and third-party representatives, for that matter) while they decided which ballots to allow and which votes those ballots recorded; I don't think it's OK for the Democrats to lock out the Republicans, either.

But again I'm not sure whether that's what's happening, or whether Palm Beach does have ordinary representation from at least both major parties present and Scott is trying to get extra people in there.
Old 10 November 2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Raquel Terán, elected Tuesday to Arizona's legislature, vowed to fight an attempt to keep her from taking office through a challenge of her U.S. citizenship.
Hopefully she is able to counter-sue for legal costs.
Old 10 November 2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Hopefully she is able to counter-sue for legal costs.
Especially since the same person has apparently sued her on the same grounds before, and lost.

Seems to me it should be thrown straight out as frivolous.
Old 10 November 2018, 08:57 PM

I think all candidates should have to prefile a document -- well in advance of the election, specifying how they think vote counting should occur. Then, if they sue based on actual election-day or post-election events, and what they say is unfair conflicts with their earlier document, the suit should be thrown out.

Not likely a possible scenario, but I'm disgusted by both parties with this. I've seen both parties take positions toatlly against their normal stances on voting when it would benefit their candidate. If their position is anything other than supporting counting all of the votes, they would not get any support from me in the future.

ETA: Something odd happened in Broward county. May not make a difference, but it seems like some investigation is in order. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...orida-recount/

Last edited by erwins; 10 November 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10 November 2018, 09:55 PM

It's going to at least a machine recount, according to (now) both NPR and 538.

It doesn't sound as if that odd undercount in Broward will be rechecked unless they do a hand recount, though; which they might or might not, depending on the result of the machine recount.
Old 11 November 2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post

It looks quite likely that Michigan is going to legalize marijuana, which is IMO a good thing.
Let's have a party making special brownies! Well, after the election is certified that is. It will be legal for quite a while before there are any stores selling it, wonder what'll happen in the meantime. I don't think there will be plants growing in the wild to pick.
Old 11 November 2018, 03:31 AM

In case anyone is wondering some Florida counties can't get accurate results for days after an election:

https://www.facebook.com/terry.flemi...30885050288649

Quote:
I spent 13 hours at the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections office observing our canvassing board deal with 550 provisional ballots and I have a new appreciation for the difficulty and the tedious nature of the process.

[...detailed explanation in link...]

Folks are asking why its taking so long in S Florida. Alachua County had a two page ballot. Broward County has 700,000 voters and a 10 page ballot. There are ballots in English, Spanish and Creole. [...] I am amazed it doesn’t take a month or more.
I mean obviously something should be done to streamline the process, but Florida electoral laws -- which were written and enacted by Republicans -- require these ballots to be scrutinized. When one candidate in a race has a large lead, the provisional and absentee votes are still tabulated days after the election, but that doesn't make the news because those votes are usually not enough to affect the outcome. It's only becoming a "problem" because the race is so close that a recount is legally required. (Again, our Republican state government was totally okay with these laws until it threatened their Senate seat. )
Old 13 November 2018, 11:38 AM

Whalephant

They called the race for Sinema! Bye-bye, McSally! Take your woman-hating self far away from me.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
They called the race for Sinema!
Yip yip yip yeehah!

-- you know, Wednesday morning I was saying to myself somewhat glumly, 'well at least we took the House, if not by all that much' -- but the more detail I see on what happened last Tuesday, and the more the races not settled that night work themselves out, the more encouraged I feel.

If the House Democrats will just get themselves together and produce an actual, coherent, sensible infrastructure bill and ditto immigration bill -- they won't be able to get them through in 2019, of course. But they might well wind up in a decent position to pass them in 2021.
Old 13 November 2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGirl View Post
Let's have a party making special brownies! Well, after the election is certified that is. It will be legal for quite a while before there are any stores selling it, wonder what'll happen in the meantime. I don't think there will be plants growing in the wild to pick.
Plenty of wild hemp in Michigan. I doubt you can get high off it, though.
Old 15 November 2018, 02:36 PM

Default Utah Republican Mia Love sues to halt vote count in tight race

Republican Rep. Mia Love sued to halt vote counting in the Utah race where she is trailing her Democratic challenger by a razor-thin margin, saying her campaign must be allowed to issue challenges if they dispute the validity of mail-in ballots.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-re...in-tight-race/
Old 15 November 2018, 02:38 PM

Jaded

If it looks like you can lose, sue I guess.

~Psihala
Old 15 November 2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If a worker decides a voter signature doesn't match the one on file, the person gets a letter informing them and asks them to sign and return an affidavit confirming their identity.
Anyone else see a potential problem with this?