snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 November 2013, 09:01 PM

Icon07 Boy, 13, suspended for carrying Vera Bradley purse

A 13-year-old Kansas eighth-grader says he was suspended from school because he refused to take off his Vera Bradley purse.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/23899790/...-bradley-purse
Old 10 November 2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
"And if this isn't bullying, I don't know what is."
You don't know what it is.
Old 10 November 2013, 11:51 PM

If the rule really isn't in the handbook, then I don't think he ought to have been suspended, no matter what.

On the other hand, if the rule were in the handbook and the administration's claim that girls aren't allowed to carry any bags either is true, then he doesn't have a legitimate complaint.

But like I said, if it isn't in the handbook, then it's silly to be arguing over what the "rule" actually is, because there is no rule--and that's why these things need to be written down. Because maybe there's supposed to be a "no bags" policy, but teachers have been letting girls carry purses, or some teachers have been. The school needs to let it go, and go write down any policies they want to enforce with suspensions.
Old 11 November 2013, 06:03 AM

I'm scratching my head over the idea of a "no bags" policy. I've heard of schools that didn't allow backpacks because of some dubious fire egress safety concerns, or only allowed clear backpacks due to fear of weapons, but no bags of any size whatsoever? How do students carry their stuff? When I was 13, my backpack contained, in addition to books and notebooks:
-a house key, because I was old enough to stay home by myself after school
-a wallet containing at least lunch money and my school ID, which was required for many transactions (buying dance tickets and such)
-pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, and the like
-a scientific calculator that was approximately the shape but a bit larger than today's smartphones
-Chap-Stik, because I was on Accutane and had painfully dry, cracking lips
-wax and extra rubber bands for my braces, both of which were often needed throughout the day
-tampons, inside a case that was inside another bag inside my backpack, because I was all 13ish about the whole period thing
...and those are just the non-negotiables. I'm pretty sure I also carried mints, tissues, makeup, a mini hairbrush, and various lotions and body sprays from Bath & Body Works that girls were so obsessed with in 1996. Oh, and I had a GigaPet for a while there, too.

Actually, I wonder if maybe teachers at the school in the OP look the other way on girls carrying purses because of the pad/tampon thing. I suppose you could carry most everything else in your pockets (if, as a girl, you're willing to wear jeans every day, because that's pretty much your only option if you need pockets) and I suppose you could get one of those zippered pencil cases that clips into your binder for pencils and calculators, and just carry all your books and notebooks in your arms. It seems ridiculous, but doable, except for when you need to slip into the bathroom with a tampon and you're 13 and just the thought that anyone especially that cute boy who sits behind you in Algebra might know you have your period is the single most mortifying thing you can imagine. Then it really helps to have a purse.
Old 11 November 2013, 06:19 AM

We have a no bag policy in my school and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Kids have pockets, pencil bags, and binders a lot of the time. Young women sometimes ask to go to their locker and the bathroom and sometimes they ask if a friend can go with them as they need something from their friends locker.

My students are pretty open. They might not come out and say it (although sometimes they flat out do), but they get the point across appropriately when they need to.
Old 11 November 2013, 07:46 AM

Can you explain what the purpose of the no bags policy is at your school?
Old 11 November 2013, 02:31 PM

Sure.
One would be that it helps with security (more difficult to carry weapons into a classroom).
Two is space. When you have close to 40 junior high students in a classroom, all with bags, you go from being snug to overflowing and dangerous if there were an emergency.
Three is theft. If students keep their belongings in their locker or in their pockets, it is helpful at deterring theft.

I allow kids to bring their backpacks into my 6th hour because for some of them it just makes sense (their bus is close to my room). It's ok with me as long as it doesn't become a problem in any way and that they keep them out of the way. However, I have a huge classroom in comparison to other teachers, so it's less of an issue in my class.
Old 11 November 2013, 05:56 PM

So students are allowed to bring bags to school, just not into the classroom?
Old 11 November 2013, 06:01 PM

That's the "policy" in the OP, too.
Old 11 November 2013, 06:09 PM

Yes. Bringing a bag(s) to school is completely fine.

I think college was the first time since Elementary school where I was allowed to have my backpack with me. Both my middle school and my high school had lockers that we were expected to use and we weren't allowed to bring bags into classrooms with us.
Old 11 November 2013, 10:11 PM

Even back in the '70s when I was in high school we weren't allowed to bring our purses to class. Given the time I don't think safety was an issue and I don't think it was lack of space either. On the whole we weren't a complacent bunch but for some reason I can't remember this ever being an issue. I guess it was just one of those "this kinda makes sense so I'll go along with it" type things. Few of us (if any) had backpacks although there was an occasional boy with a briefcase. I can't recall now if these were allowed in class.
Old 12 November 2013, 12:25 AM

If I remember correctly, when I was in middle school ('89-'92), we were allowed to bring bags to school but had to leave them in our lockers.

However, in high school we were able to carry them around all day.
Old 12 November 2013, 12:33 AM

I went to high school in the 1970s and girls were allowed to bring purses to class. Nobody carried backpacks, that I can recall -- that started in college. I briefly carried a bookbag in middle school and was ridiculed for it.
Old 12 November 2013, 12:35 AM

And just to clarify, I mean backpacks when I say bags. Can't remember if there were any rules for purses.
Old 12 November 2013, 02:35 AM

I was in high school in the 70's. We carried purses, but back packs were unheard of. I remember wishing when my kids started school and were carrying back packs that we'd had them. It would have made things much easier. One strange guy in high school carried a brief case (hijack: He ended up being a crook of the first order. It was a huge story in Grand Rapids. He owned some big computer sort of business, and got thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans fraudulently. He also roped in lots of investors whom he stole blind. It seems that all of the servers etc. in his business were just flashing lights with nothing behind them. He ended up shooting himself in his mansion with his 100's of years old wine by his side. I don't know how anyone ever fell for his crap. He must have gotten much better, because in school he was so creepy and oily he left a slime trail).
Old 12 November 2013, 03:01 AM

I went to middle and high school in the 90s, which was really the era of overstuffed backpacks (overstuffed backpacks worn on one shoulder, because using both shoulder straps would make you a dork). I had a locker, but I rarely used it (especially since they were undergoing a massive reno during my first year of high school and we actually had to share lockers). It just didn't make sense to finish a class, run across the school to dump and grab books, and then run all the way back to a classroom right next to the first. The prime locker locations went to the grade 11 and 12 students, and by that point most people were firmly in the habit of carrying everything with them.

I didn't carry a purse, but I was the weird student who hid in the big coat with lots of pockets. One of my coat criteria at the time was that it had to have at least one pocket big enough for a paperback book.
Old 12 November 2013, 03:46 AM

Back in the late 70s and early 80s both junior high and high school were spread out so that getting between class and locker could be time consuming thing making one late for their next class. So you had to have something to carry around books and supplies in. Another problem was you had at least 2 people sharing one locker and sometimes 3. The lockers were randomly assigned by grade making theft by locker partner very likely. You were not allowed to change lockers no matter what (got paired with one of the criminal/druggies one year), but it happen unofficially anyways.
Old 12 November 2013, 08:09 AM

In high school we had "advisors" that we went to for 10 minutes at the beginning of the day. Last year I got the principal (which was fine, I liked her) and the question of lockers came up. Usually you got lockers outside your advisor room which affected how often you used them. We were in the cafeteria. There were lockers across the hall that had been bolted because theoretically people hanging around at them would be an obstruction in the busiest part of the school. She decided we could have those and asked us not to hang around after using them.
They were really convenient, obviously, and in the centre of the school, so that year I used my locker a lot more than other years.
It was kind of funny - we were all OACs to make it easier on her, but we ended up being the only OACs to vote because she was so disappointed there was no one voting in our advisor. And come any chocolate fundraising she gave us each a bar because her solution was to buy a case direct from whichever group was raising funds.
Old 12 November 2013, 01:57 PM

What does OAC mean?
Old 12 November 2013, 02:22 PM

Canada

Ontario Academic Credit. Essentially grade 13. Until it ended in 2003 this was the last year of high school for Ontario students. Growing up in Quebec where we graduated high school out of grade 11 I thought we were definitely the lucky ones!

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...56146854,d.aWc