snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 October 2013, 06:04 PM

Default Ted Cruz’s Hometown Newspaper Regrets Endorsement

Sen. Ted Cruz’ hometown newspaper, the Houston Chronicle, wishes it could take back its endorsement.

"When we endorsed Ted Cruz in last November’s general election, we did so with many reservations and at least one specific recommendation – that he follow Hutchison’s example in his conduct as a senator,” The Chronicle said. “Obviously, he has not done so.

“Cruz has been part of the problem in specific situations where Hutchison would have been part of the solution,” the board added.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...s-endorsement/
Old 17 October 2013, 04:46 PM

Ted Cruz--a man for one season. Seriously, did GOP strategists, and I use the term loosely, believe that not passing a Continuing Resolution would stop the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare from being implemented? As I understand about 70% of the funding is mandatory like Social Security, Medicare, etc. that are not part of annual spending.
If they did know that, then the whole purpose of the past couple of months was just to energize their base and try to move public opinion. If they didn't know that, then I think there is a competency question to be considered.
The irony for them is that this whole drama has kept problems with the roll-out of ACA in the background. I think that these problems are inevitable with a national program with state level involvement (although it might be worthwhile to look at the start of Medicare, or Social Security benefits to see if that is true.).
For some reason, when I hear Ted Cruz, the New Seekers' tune " A World of My Own" starts playing in my head.

Ali
Old 17 October 2013, 04:53 PM

I think the other Republicans were waiting for Ted Cruz to fall on his ass.
Old 17 October 2013, 04:56 PM

It's actually frightening to me how many senators, let alone congressmen, voted against raising the debt ceiling and reopening the government, and further, how very open they were about why--not because of the good of America, but because somebody might run against them in a primary someday.

Seriously, how self-important do you have to be to decide that risking a total collapse of the entire world economy, damaging foreign relations, putting hundreds of thousands of people at significant risk to their livelihoods, and causing a real, tangible, and significant cost to millions is a fine exchange for you getting to keep your job?
Old 17 October 2013, 05:18 PM

I'm going to make a list of the districts that those 144 republicans belong to. Next election, I'm going to check how may of them were re-elected. That list will be my list of places where I should never go to, because those people are dumb as nails.
Old 17 October 2013, 05:47 PM

I for one, will remember Mr. Cornyn come November.
Old 17 October 2013, 06:46 PM

I've been seeing more negative comments directed at Walden (R-Oregon) in local reports lately. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. His quote about anger over the shutdown being forgotten by the voters in 2014 hasn't helped matters any.
Old 17 October 2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
I'm going to make a list of the districts that those 144 republicans belong to. Next election, I'm going to check how may of them were re-elected. That list will be my list of places where I should never go to, because those people are dumb as nails.
One of them is (theoretically) my representative. I voted against him last time. I am definitely voting against him next time.

I sent him a rather vehement letter on this particular issue (it also went to the newspaper.) Not at all to my surprise, the only result of this was an auto-reply saying nothing more than that the letter had been received.
Old 18 October 2013, 01:38 AM

My district held a special election yesterday because my senator had died. A republican openly supportive of the shutdown and the Tea Party got 44% of the vote.

I'm still reeling from that idea.
Old 18 October 2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
A republican openly supportive of the shutdown and the Tea Party got 44% of the vote.
In extremely low turnout, on a special election that was held on a Wednesday (for those of you who don't know, US elections are almost always held on Tuesdays), in a state where it is almost unheard of for either party to top 55%. Context is everything!

As for the Houston Chronicle, I have zero sympathy for anyone who ever thought putting Ted Cruz in the Senate was a good idea. They got exactly what they asked for.
Old 18 October 2013, 07:11 PM

Default The Ted Cruz Filibuster Paid Off — for Ted Cruz!

If you were curious, talking on television for 21 straight hours is very lucrative. Over the last quarter, Ted Cruz's still-young political action committee pulled in $797,000 during the period that included his extended C-SPAN advertorial. It's nearly twice what Cruz pulled in the quarter prior.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...er-paid/70582/
Old 18 October 2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: This post has been updated to reflect that the Chronicle has not withdrawn its endorsement of Cruz
I guess someone got some cold feet or a stern stink eye over the original article.