snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 23 January 2018, 12:26 AM

I just opened a large bag of chips, and the entire bag split down the side, spilling the contents everywhere. Fortunately I have a gallon-sized Ziploc to put it all in, because the bag is now useless.
Old 23 January 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I just opened a large bag of chips, and the entire bag split down the side, spilling the contents everywhere. Fortunately I have a gallon-sized Ziploc to put it all in, because the bag is now useless.
I really hate any large bags that appear to resist being opened in a fashion that allow them be closed after using a reasonable portion of their content.

There is a store (Farm Boy) that sells good tortilla chips and the bag they put it in always tears or rips in awkward places, because it's made of a kind of recycled paper with a plastic window...

Way to lock in the freshness, guys!
Old 23 January 2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
A horse racing site I like is blocked at work because the filter presumes it to be a gambling site. There are a lot of ads for various Pick Six bets etc, but the site really very newsy.
The ones that get me is that my employer's firewall block "personal blogs." But as an IT software developer position, a lot of information available to solve IT technical problems is available on some some other software developer's blog. It can sometimes be a search through google results to find a source that the firewall will let me view.
Old 24 January 2018, 01:52 AM

Mouse

My Internet is done. Sure I can use my phone as a personal hotspot, but itís still a minor inconvenience and you know how I am opposed to those.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:59 PM

People who respond to me on FB or on my cellphone one word at a time. Why can't some people write a few sentences rather than "yes" "no" ok" or whatever? If they were pressed for time and I was the one who initiated a conversation, then fine, of course. But these are people who've asked me something (yes, admittedly in more than one word in First Contact) but after that it's like pulling teeth! I usually end up going all 20th century on them and actually calling them on the phone.
Old 26 January 2018, 09:49 PM

The supermarket's out of Nutella. They sent all theirs to France.
Old 28 January 2018, 04:17 AM

Happy update on the apartment saga: I confided in my mom, whose best and worst quality is a compulsion to meddle. She found a unit in the building we liked that we'd overlooked. It was the size of the medium unit that was perfect except for the lack of a balcony, but this one has a balcony. It faces the opposite direction from the tiny unit we loved for everything but its size, so it doesn't have the incredible view of the mountains and the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood sign, but you can see those from the common roof deck, and this unit has a sunny southern exposure and view of downtown. Also, my mom found out that plans have been filed with the city to build a 6-story hotel across the street from the tiny unit, eventually blocking that view (but not quite blocking the 7th floor roof deck view, and obviously not affecting this new unit on the other side.) We checked it out in person today and filed the application online just now. It's perfect. I'm so excited!
Old 28 January 2018, 10:34 AM

I'm excited for you!
Old 28 January 2018, 12:57 PM

Three cheers for the Right Apartment!
Old 28 January 2018, 07:44 PM

Baseball

I'm not a huge Facebook user. This year I decided to put up one song per day from a Canadian music act. 365 days, 365 songs from 365 artists and groups.

That means I have to be on Facebook daily.

One of my FB friends, who happens to be a real life friend on the periphery*. She is a nice lady, and has a very cute son who is now 5 years old.

I feel sorry for this kid, though. He has at least a half dozen pictures of him posted on Facebook daily. And it is not about the big events (although, there are lot of those on FB too). It is him putting on his boots to go outside, him eating an apple in his PJs on a snow day with no school. It is him at the dinner table eating a Wednesday night supper. His whole life is on there.

But the part that bothers me, is that he is such a nice kid. And he has a wonderful smile (missing a tooth now). He is smiling in every photo, but for those that see him routinely, we can tell his smile is forced. When he really smiles, his eyes light up and he looks right at the camera. Lately, they have all been dull eyed and he is looking elsewhere.**

My FWP is that I can't help but see this. I could go onto FB and mark his Mom down as an acquaintance, but then his online life would still be going on. I just hope that when he gets older, he is comfortable with his entire youth being shared with his Mom's 1500 friends.

* She is the adult daughter of a friend of mine who really came to help my wife once when I was deployed. Story for another day.
** And today's post is almost a shaming one. Apparently, he did something to damage his winter coat on Friday, so yesterday they had to go shopping for a new one. There is a picture of him in a new coat, plastic smile on, and his Mom complaining about the price of winter coats and boys who go wrecking them.
Old 28 January 2018, 10:08 PM

That really sucks, UEL. The poor kid really doesn't have a choice, and all the people who get flooded daily with the kid pictures really don't have a choice unless they block the mom. I very rarely share photos of my kids on-line since I figure it is sort of boring for the people I know to just see "Hey, it is a kid!" but also to protect the kids somewhat.
Old 28 January 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
We checked it out in person today and filed the application online just now. It's perfect. I'm so excited!
Oh, wow. Wasn't expecting such a sudden turn of events. That's good to hear.
Old 29 January 2018, 12:38 AM

Thanks everyone! Next weekend we're putting our marriage to the Ikea test. If he goes back for those cute bowls, I'll do my best not to stab him.
Old 29 January 2018, 12:40 AM

Mouse

I canít seem to access a forum I like to drop in on. I thought maybe it was dead, but it was working a few days ago. Now, itís back to not working.
Old 29 January 2018, 01:26 AM

Good luck Esprise Me. My wife and I have been together about 17 years, and survived two tough pregnancies, PPD, a MIL who works hard to mess with us, and still the IKEA test is tough. At least I get meatballs at the end.
Old 29 January 2018, 04:31 AM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Good luck Esprise Me. My wife and I have been together about 17 years, and survived two tough pregnancies, PPD, a MIL who works hard to mess with us, and still the IKEA test is tough. At least I get meatballs at the end.
There's a meme running around that IKEA = Escape room adventure. Ours is close enough I can stop by during off-peak time.

My own FWP - Disney World hotels are confusing and doesn't have enough search filters. May have to consider going off-site.
Old 29 January 2018, 11:58 AM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post

My own FWP - Disney World hotels are confusing and doesn't have enough search filters. May have to consider going off-site.

Check out nearby International Drive.

ETA: I missed the exit for the state fairgrounds yesterday and had to double back. Really embarrassing because I've been to the state fairgrounds a million times; you'd think I'd remember the NFBSKing exit! Although it was raining...
Old 29 January 2018, 01:23 PM

My wife and I never have any problems navigating Ikea together.
IN fact, we sometimes even go to Ikea just to browse and have a cheap supper.

Old 29 January 2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I canít seem to access a forum I like to drop in on. I thought maybe it was dead, but it was working a few days ago. Now, itís back to not working.
Similar - a forum I frequent got hacked and hijacked a week ago; still showing the hijack.
Old 29 January 2018, 10:44 PM

This evening my neighborhood smells like garbage and vomit. I don't know why.