snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 08 September 2017, 06:29 AM

Seconded. I'm hoping for the best for y'all, Cervus and Photo Bob.
Old 08 September 2017, 02:00 PM

Yes, indeed. Good luck to everybody.
Old 08 September 2017, 03:00 PM

Florida

Just heard the governor speak; I get the impression that most, if not all of the state, should evacuate.
Floridians: please take care of yourselves and each other!
Old 08 September 2017, 03:25 PM

Glasses

How are people supposed to evacuate under the conditions Cervus described (i.e., no gas and no hotel rooms)? Where are they supposed to go?

Seaboe
Old 08 September 2017, 03:37 PM

Boarding up now. Have not done that since 2004. I am too old for this. One advantage to it is a quiet dark house. Great for sleeping. All day.

As of now are expecting winds of 40 to 50 MPH with just a slight chance of hurricane force winds (70 plus). Not expecting much rain. A few tears back we had 27 inches in one day and we did not flood at our house so no worries there.

Boarding up is really just a way to bring down the anxiety level in the house.

We will go to my mother in law's house as she has hurricane windows and a bit more room for the dogs.

Our neighbor said he would help if needed, but not hope there. He was having trouble cutting a sheet of plywood. It was taking forever. He set the saw down to cuss a bit. When I came back round the house I told him he had the saw blade in backwards. Changing it seemed to help. A lot.
Old 08 September 2017, 03:46 PM

Now I'm worried about Photo Bob's neighbor.
Old 08 September 2017, 05:49 PM

Glasses

Bobcat Warrior is also a Floridian now.

You're all on my "fingers crossed, hoping really hard" list to come through this with little to no damage.
Old 08 September 2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
How are people supposed to evacuate under the conditions Cervus described (i.e., no gas and no hotel rooms)? Where are they supposed to go?
We are now being advised to stay where we are and not evacuate:

Quote:
Palm Beach County issued the following statement in its 2pm advisory from Palm Beach County spokesperson John Jamason.
“The state has advised that fuel demand is outstripping fuel supply and they advise that all residents shelter within the county.”

To put it in simple terms: don’t leave. There is likely not enough fuel to get you where you are going. It is safer to stay home or in a shelter than it is to risk being trapped on I-95 or Florida’s Turnpike.
I happened to be at work this morning when I saw the tanker truck pull into the gas station. I left work and waited for 30 minutes to be able to top off my tank. I'm not going anywhere, but I need gas during the aftermath of the storm. The gas station was also selling gallon jugs of water, so I picked up four, which was all I could carry. Along the way, I left my credit card on the counter after I paid for the water. I realized it 30 minutes later and retraced my steps, ran inside and asked the clerk if anyone had turned it in, but she said no and basically ignored me. So I had to call and get my account number changed (fortunately no one used it for any transactions in the meantime). And I have a bunch of auto-payments linked to the old card number, so those have to be changed. I did not need that extra headache today.
Old 08 September 2017, 07:06 PM

This Irma is getting on my nerves. Now we are back to getting hurricane force winds.

Did get some extra Tapcon screws from the neighbor for our "second son".

Stores are closing early today and many banks closed at noon.

Target disassembled their "cart corrals" and took them inside.

Oh, "have a good day" has been replaced with "stay safe".
Old 08 September 2017, 07:53 PM

Apparently, Trump had a Caribbean mansion that got flattened.
Old 08 September 2017, 08:29 PM

I'm sure it's insured for more than he owes on it and he'll end up making money somehow. Same goes for Coulter, Limbaugh, and all those climate change denying idiots with manses in the hurricane's path. 4 incredibly powerful hurricanes all at once? just natures's course! Wait...

Where's Mar-a-lago?

ETA: http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/th...-1041940547818

I know Palm Beach county is really in danger right now, and I don't wish ill on anyone there and hope the hurricane blows out to sea (or calms down - I've only ever lived in the Northeast, Midwest and Europe, so I don't know hurricanes well) but using hurricanes to make money is shitty.
Old 08 September 2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Wait...

Where's Mar-a-lago?
Apparently under evacuation order; but apparently also designed to withstand major hurricanes, and has done so before.
Old 08 September 2017, 11:58 PM

Hurricane warnings just kicked in for our area. Irma should be down to a Cat 2 when she comes this far north. High winds with trees down, power outages and some roof damage.

They are saying we should be prepared for no power for up to a week.
Old 09 September 2017, 12:05 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
...but using hurricanes to make money is shitty.
Are you talking about your supposition that houses are insured for more than they are worth? Is that based on anything?

I think people that have lost everything in a natural disaster wouldn't consider it making money when the insurance pays them out, even if it is technically more than the net value of their property.
Old 09 September 2017, 12:10 AM

Reading that police are moving the homeless in Miami to shelter, whether they want to go or not - those who won't go willingly to shelters are being detained under the Baker Act, where they can be held up to 72 hours if they are believed to present a danger to themselves or others.

I'm generally concerned about the rights of people who have or are suspected of having mental illness, but I have to agree with this one.

The current storm track seems to have the eye moving right up the middle of Florida and beyond. It's pretty frightening, and I'm on the opposite coast.
Old 09 September 2017, 12:32 AM

With the western shift in the forecast, I decided to check what the current plan was for Sanibel Island, where my mom lives. Here is the first article I found:
Hurricane Irma: 'Only Irma knows' as Sanibel and Captiva residents prepare for storm

The article begins with a
Quote:
Most of the residents from Periwinkle Park, a mobile home community on Sanibel, had fled from Hurricane Irma by Friday
which is where my mom lives. I hurriedly called her and she has left the island to a safe house on the mainland.
Old 09 September 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Are you talking about your supposition that houses are insured for more than they are worth?
Beachlife, I'm not Plurabelle; but I took the meaning to be referring to stories saying that after previous hurricanes Mar-a-Lago, specifically, put in claims for hurricane damage which may not have actually happened.

ETA: The link in the post of Plurabelle's which you quoted is to such a story.

ETA again: E.Q., I think you're right that this is a reasonable case for forcing people into shelters (presuming they're allowed out again after the storm passes, of course, if they want to leave). Before Harvey hit Houston I read an article in which the news site (maybe NPR, can't remember) interviewed a homeless man who lived in a highway underpass, and didn't want to take other shelter. I haven't seen a followup and am hoping he survived.

Last edited by thorny locust; 09 September 2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09 September 2017, 01:33 AM

I just finished putting up my shutters only to learn that the storm has taken a turn to the west, and now we're "only" forecast to get Category 1 or 2 winds here. My house can handle that. If it stays on this course, I should be fine here on the east coast. I may lose shingles but I highly doubt I'll lose the roof.

Of course, the storm could turn again at the last minute. Hurricane Andrew caught Miami by surprise with a last-minute turn.

I also learned this afternoon that my A/C has decided to crap out and fail. I checked the breaker, changed the thermostat batteries...nada. It's 83F in my house right now. I expected to lose power from the storm and not have A/C, but now I'm facing a potentially massive replacement of my entire HVAC system (it was installed in 2004) and I have no idea when a repairman could even come out. Ugggh. Between a broken air conditioner and losing my credit card this morning, I would normally be ranting about what a horrible day I'm having. But the approaching storm puts things in perspective, I guess.
Old 09 September 2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I also learned this afternoon that my A/C has decided to crap out and fail. I checked the breaker, changed the thermostat batteries...nada.
Perhaps you checked, but there is also almost always a disconnect at the compressor unit outside. Any possibility this is also a circuit breaker and may have tripped?

It might not be as bad as you think, possibly a defective contactor at the compressor, or a bad fuse or control transformer in the unit. Even a broken control wire might be the problem.

Hope it can be fixed easily and not very costly.
Old 09 September 2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Are you talking about your supposition that houses are insured for more than they are worth? Is that based on anything?

I think people that have lost everything in a natural disaster wouldn't consider it making money when the insurance pays them out, even if it is technically more than the net value of their property.
I'm talking about Trump properties and Mar-a-lago specifically, not normal people. And Limbaugh and Coulter.

I am not talking about regular people who have lost everything. I have nothing but sympathy and encouragement for those people and hope (but doubt) their insurance can help make them whole again.

And of course attitudes like this really help promoting safety: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/u...a.html?mcubz=0