snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 September 2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
What planet does she think the bottled water comes from, I wonder?

-- and I hate to break it to her, but the bulk of any water she drinks is headed to the toilet next. At least, unless she doesn't use one.
She doesn't care where it goes *after* she drinks it. She just has this idea that the water that comes through the tap is not quite potable: it's good enough for the toilet, but not for her or her family.
Old 07 September 2017, 02:21 PM

As to water in the bathtub. This is for flushing toilets and washing up with. The bottled water is for drinking. Again, many in our area are on wells, so no electricity means no water.

The line for sandbags was long this morning. Stretched down the road and around the corner out of sight. This was the area where the dump truck delivering sand took out the electric lines. They were still working on them after dark last night. We are expected to get less than five inches of rain. that is a typical summer thunderstorm.

Most all gas stations were open and had gas.

My sister in law called from Charlotte NC last night. She decided that my wife and I should drive mother in law up to Charlotte just to be safe. Ummmm. Charlotte is now in the cone of uncertainty and we are almost out of it.

Our evacuation plan was to go to my son's in Atlanta. He seemed a bit disappointed when we said we would not be leaving. Also had offers from friends and family in New York and Washington states.

Now thinking of friends and family on the east coast. Hopefully the storm will move even farther east.
Old 07 September 2017, 02:53 PM

It occurs to me that flooding from a hurricane could also lead to contamination of municipal water supplies.
Old 07 September 2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Thorny, maybe people fill up tubs for washing, and keep the bottles for drinking? Our family of 4 would need a lot of water for toilets and cooking. Separate water bottles for drinking that seal back shut, and not having to deal with cups, kind of makes sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
As to water in the bathtub. This is for flushing toilets and washing up with. The bottled water is for drinking. Again, many in our area are on wells, so no electricity means no water.
Yes, I understand all that. (Even for people on city water, the water system may fail and/or become contaminated in a major storm.) But given there's a shortage of bottled water, why not fill up pots, kettles, pitchers, whatever else is in the house that's food safe materials and can hold water? [ETA: in advance of the storm, in case of possible later contamination of the source.] Quite a few of those things come with lids; and for those that don't, a plastic bag or other improvised cover will do. A full scale seal isn't necessary. Give each person one cup to refill as needed, and there won't be piles of them to wash.

I do know that some people with tiny kitchens may also not have much in the way of containers that they can keep water in. But it seems to me that those are the people who need the bottled water, and others should be leaving it for them.
Old 07 September 2017, 03:07 PM

Another idea for water is filling ziplock bags and putting them in the freezer. This way you have both ice and water for the days after the storm.

A couple places have started giving out (as in free) empty plastic jugs so folks can fill them before the storm.

Even though we are almost out of the cone of uncertainty, many folks are still in panic mode. Panic mode is never a good place to be as it clouds judgement and creates more problems than it solves.

I am actually more concerned with my doctor visit this afternoon than the storm.
Old 07 September 2017, 03:20 PM

TL, weird and illogical as it seems to you and me, some people simply will not drink tap water, even absent a fact-based reason to doubt its quality or safety.
Old 07 September 2017, 04:07 PM

Some people have issues with unfamiliar tap water that seems suspect.

My office is in Grand Rapids, which is the first city to fluoridate the water. I'm not picky about water, but there is something just wrong about the taste of the water there. I bring water from home when I am at the office and avoid the coffee.

I spend a week in on the space coast of Florida every year and the water has a definite taste to it (kind of seawater-ish). One of my friends boils it before drinking even though I've told him that's not necessary.

My daughter lives in Baltimore. Her first apartment there had some sketchy plumbing. Both my other daughter and I drank bottled water when visiting.
Old 07 September 2017, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure if you were responding to me, but to clarify, I was talking about people who will not drink tap water out of their own tap.

ETA: Article about a poll from the UK on this topic
Old 07 September 2017, 04:49 PM

Cowboy

Beachlife, that reminds me of when I lived in in Plano, TX. I learned immediately that everyone either drank bottled water or bought Brita filters for their sinks. The first time I turned on the sink in my apartment I thought the pipes had rotted because the scent was so strong - called the complex and they said "This is going to sound crazy but it really is normal water in Plano." They were right too - the water smelled like and tasted like dirt everywhere in the area. I eventually built up something of a tolerance for it so I could at least handle drinking it out a water fountain or at a restaurant, but I also learned never to order unsweet tea around there because there was a good chance they'd brew it with that unfiltered water and that would be all you could taste
Old 07 September 2017, 05:14 PM

I briefly lived in a place where the water smelled like fish. Bottled water wasn't as common then (mid-80s). Some of the locals got their drinking water at a local spring.
Old 07 September 2017, 05:51 PM

I was finally able to snag some bottled drinking water today.

I'm trying to find someone to help me put up storm shutters.

I was up until 1 AM packing last night, and then I couldn't sleep and kept having nightmares from anxiety.

I'm going to my parents' because they have a safe room, but I'm seriously afraid I won't have a house to come back to.

My house is still in the projected path. We'll start feeling the effects on Saturday.

My family's been in Florida since the 1940's and I'm jaded about low-level storms, but a Cat 4 is nothing to NFBSK with.
Old 07 September 2017, 05:59 PM

Situation apparently dire in the Caribbean, with major damage to communications and buildings, and concern that Jose may also hit catching people without shelter. Some of the islands are talking about trying to evacuate, but it's going to be very difficult in current conditions:

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/h...ibbean-islands

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/wo...ys-pm-rutte-vi

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1BI107

Puerto Rico apparently got off comparitively easy, with power out but most buildings still standing. Hope the same will also be true of everywhere further up the line.
Old 07 September 2017, 06:13 PM

Cheer

Cervus - I am so sorry. Sending vibes.

Family/cousins are all safe in Puerto Rico. Hurricane headed north after San Juan, so the west side of the island got high winds and rain but no major damage. San Juan saw a lot of flooding though.

They do have Power Outages. Not sure what sections of the island are affected.
Old 07 September 2017, 06:44 PM

My mom is on Sanibel island, on the other side of the state, but not too far from Key West which has an evacuation order. As of last night when we talked they were not under an evacuation order. She has a friend who has a house on the mainland which is her evacuation plan. He is practically a doomsday preppier so his house is decked out to withstand just about anything. I am sure she will fine there if she needs to evacuate.
Old 07 September 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I dunno about Miami but the water from the water fountains at Disney World had an unpleasant taste, though I no longer remember how it tasted.
We went this summer, and it was nasty. Magic Kingdom, that is - the other parks were somewhat better. I imagine it has to do with the age of the pipes in that particular park; they have very little incentive to fix it since it most likely drives up their beverage sales. (We were able to use the fountains and refill bottles, etc., when we were in the Hollywood Studios park, but bit the bullet and paid for drinks while at Magic Kingdom. We tried, we really tried, to put up with the taste from the fountains, but it was practically undrinkable.)
Old 07 September 2017, 08:56 PM

A meme that pertains to this subject:
Quote:
Y'all survive on 3 sodas a day, but when a hurricane comes, y'all turn into a fish and need forty cases of water.
Old 07 September 2017, 10:16 PM

Our tap water in Fleming Island, FL, is very potable, however, we usually use bottled water for ice tea and for drinking. There is a considerable amount of chlorine in the water and I wasn't happen with the Brita filter results, so we do buy bottled water for some purposes.
Old 08 September 2017, 04:11 AM

Now under a hurricane watch. We thought we might be in the clear, but track has moved toward the center of the state.
Old 08 September 2017, 05:12 AM

I've been running on adrenaline for three days. I've barely eaten and barely slept. Part of it is due to work; I work at an animal clinic and we were closed for the Labor Day weekend, so Tuesday we saw not only the usual rush of holiday emergencies, but we were slammed with phone calls and appointments because of the hurricane. It hasn't let up. I work 10-hour days and then I have to come home and do my own storm prep, but at this point I don't even know why I'm packing anything to take to my parents' because I'm afraid I won't have a house to come back to.

Last night, during the brief period I did sleep, I had anxiety-induced nightmares. Our family friends went through Andrew in 1992 and they wound up having to live with us for the better part of a year because their house was destroyed. I'm planning for a worst-case scenario, but when you know for a week in advance that a Cat 4 or 5 is coming, it is so emotionally and physically draining that it's hard to find the energy to keep prepping. Government officials are using terms like "catastrophic" "apocalyptic" and "nuclear" to describe the anticipated damage. Everyone I've talked to this week is exhausted. At this point, everyone I know is staying put, because it's too risky to get stuck on the highway with no gas. And my friends are calling to tell me there's no gas around the state, and cars are being abandoned on the roads. All hotels are full. There's nowhere to go unless you have family or friends in a "safe" place, but this hurricane could hit anywhere.

I have to work again for 7 hours tomorrow. At least I'm off after that point, but there's little more I can do except be resigned to the possibility that my house will be destroyed on Sunday.
Old 08 September 2017, 05:52 AM

Cervus, we're hoping with you that your house will be ok. You sound exhausted and that can't be making such a hectic situation any better. Take care of yourself.

You too, Photo Bob.