snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 September 2017, 11:11 PM

Default Hurricane Irma's damage* could be largest ever in US, Barclays predicts

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hur...z&ocid=U007DHP

Quote:
Barclays (NYSE:BCS) research said Tuesday that incoming Category 5 storm, Hurricane Irma, which is expected to hit Florida later this week or early next week, could be the largest ever in insured damage in the U.S., topping the record currently held by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

"Given the potential magnitude of this storm as well as the potential to impact a highly populated area, we think Irma's insured damage in Florida could be the largest ever in the U.S. perhaps equivalent to Hurricane Katrina," Barclays' Jay Gelb wrote Tuesday.

"In a worst case scenario, catastrophe modelers AIR Worldwide and Karen Clark and Co. have estimated a repeat of the 1926 Miami hurricane could result in $125-130 billion of insured damage,” Gelb added.
I'm sure that in the wake of Harvey, this prediction will help people prepare in a calm, rational manner.
Old 05 September 2017, 11:54 PM

I hate fear mongering and try to avoid news sources that engage in it. It's both bad for my mental health personally, and can have real consequences. (I hear people in Austin and San Antonio are having a hell of a time gassing up their cars this week, because so many people panicked about Harvey and bought up all the gasoline.)

But to be fair to newscasters, it can be a fine line. You don't want to needlessly scare people, but you do want them to be fully informed so they can make the best choices for their safety.

From what I've read, there's still a chance that Irma could turn north and not directly hit the US. There would still be a lot of wind and rain, but not a total catastrophe. I'm hoping that's what happens for the sake of Floridians, although it sounds like this storm will be a mess for people in Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, and other places in that region no matter what happens from here on out.
Old 06 September 2017, 12:03 AM

Good luck finding gas or bottled water anywhere in Florida right now. Earlier this evening, I saw cars lined up for three blocks at the only station in town that still had gas.
Old 06 September 2017, 02:26 AM

I have family members in Puerto Rico right now. They're with family who sound very well prepared, but....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/pue...ies/index.html
Old 06 September 2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Good luck finding gas or bottled water anywhere in Florida right now. Earlier this evening, I saw cars lined up for three blocks at the only station in town that still had gas.
JAX area seems to have enough gasoline - no signs at least up until an hour or so ago along US 17 stations. Two of the Walmarts have no water on the shelf, but we've got enough for a few days.

Might get to be expensive toilet flushes.
Old 06 September 2017, 02:43 AM

Good luck to khisanth's family; and to everyone else in the path.
Old 06 September 2017, 01:34 PM

We are not expected to get any serious effects from Irma until Sunday or Monday. If the storm moves east as is the general consensus now, we will get tropical storm force winds.

Locally there have been some gas lines. Depends on the time of day. Early morning and late evening see no lines. Stations that run out are getting more gas. The lines are mostly panic buyers, many just topping off their tank.

Water has been in big demand with many stores running short. Pulbix gets new shipments daily. We were in Publix last night doing our weekly shopping and folks were grabbing all the water they could. Store was limiting it to three cases. Some reports of price gouging on water at a couple convenience stores.

Home supply stores running out of plywood, but they expect more shipments this week.

Lines for sandbags were very long this morning. We still have river flooding from a system that moved through here as Harvey was hitting Texas.

Bottom line is panic buyers are creating shortages and hoarders are keeping others from getting what they need.

Last edited by Photo Bob; 06 September 2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06 September 2017, 04:28 PM

I am really kind of puzzled by panic buys of bottled water.

I understand that some people like to have a bottle to carry around with them, or like the flavor of a particular brand. But in terms of laying in emergency supplies, don't most people have some sort of containers at home that they could fill up with tap water? is the tap water in the area not drinkable? are people under the delusion that water out of the tap, put into a clean container, will become unsafe within a day or two?

In terms of flushing the john, the advice I'd always seen (for those not equipped with lots of five-gallon buckets) was to fill the bathtubs. Though I suppose some people may be intending to sit out the worst of the hurricane inside the bathtub, in which case one wouldn't want it full of water.
Old 06 September 2017, 04:32 PM

I have a co-worker who thinks drinking fountains are too nasty to drink out of because "that's the same water that goes to the toilet." I'm sure she'd be buying cases and cases of bottled water.
Old 06 September 2017, 04:40 PM

Icon215

Earlier I spoke to my MIL who lives in Altamonte Springs. She's well stocked and just hunkered down. What else can she do? She's also got a bathtub filled with water for flushing, etc.

Take care Floridians and Islanders, and don't let Florida Man do anything crazy.

Where the hell is Pat Robertson? Did he loose his ability to push hurricanes away from the coastline?
Old 06 September 2017, 05:26 PM

Thorny Locust, I don;t understand the water thing either. In our area a lot of folks are on wells, so no electricity means no water, but that does not explain folks getting two or three shopping carts filled with bottled water.

Some folks were looking at our cart in Publix last night and shaking their heads. We were buying meat and ice cream. It will be gone before Irma can show up at our front door.

I am less worried for us as time passes. Each update shifts the storm east. Even if it moves up the center of the state we will be in pretty good shape.

Feel for those on the east coast. Some still trying to get over Matthew.

Stay safe.

As an aside, Florida Man struck the local sand bag operation. A dump truck delivering sand took out the electric lines when his bed stayed up as he pulled away. that was this morning. The area is still blocked off at lunchtime.
Old 06 September 2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
[B].

Feel for those on the east coast. Some still trying to get over Matthew.

DH and I saw the devastation from that on our way to Florida last November. Not pretty! Coming home, we passed a couple of FEMA trailers heading our way.
Old 06 September 2017, 05:42 PM

We're a little worried about our son and daughter-in-law, who are vacationing in Orlando and who planned to return to Atlanta on Sunday. I'm thinking they may be bumped from their flight (she works for an airline, they fly standby) and there may be no rental cars available.
Old 06 September 2017, 07:34 PM

My family members have everything prepped it seems. They're on the west side of Puerto Rico, so it's supposed to hit them tonight.

Just got a picture of their "stormwatch" crew all taking a nap.

I'm joking with them about their "Puerto Rican Vacation Adventure Package," complete with hurricane excursion!

I hope everyone is safe.
Old 06 September 2017, 11:09 PM

The island of Barbuda was hit. Reports are that at least 90% of the island's structures have been destroyed.
Old 06 September 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I have a co-worker who thinks drinking fountains are too nasty to drink out of because "that's the same water that goes to the toilet."
What planet does she think the bottled water comes from, I wonder?

-- and I hate to break it to her, but the bulk of any water she drinks is headed to the toilet next. At least, unless she doesn't use one.

ETA: Barbuda, ouch! I hope there are somehow not many lives lost -- and that lives won't be lost due to the lack of surviving shelters, water supply systems, etc.
Old 07 September 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
What planet does she think the bottled water comes from, I wonder?

-- and I hate to break it to her, but the bulk of any water she drinks is headed to the toilet next. At least, unless she doesn't use one.
My late grandfather used to say "You only rent coffee!"
Old 07 September 2017, 03:06 AM

Thorny, maybe people fill up tubs for washing, and keep the bottles for drinking? Our family of 4 would need a lot of water for toilets and cooking. Separate water bottles for drinking that seal back shut, and not having to deal with cups, kind of makes sense to me.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 07 September 2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07 September 2017, 04:31 AM

I'm glad I moved out of Florida last year but that doesn't make me stress less about my family out there. I was still there when Matthew hit, we were very lucky that so much of it stayed offshore. We're praying for the same.

My parents are evacuating from Melbourne to Tampa, which seems wise because it's looking more and more like the storm will be focused on the east side of the state. My sister couldn't get a hotel, she's evacuating with her husband to stay with my cousins in Lake Mary, which is at least far inland and has hurricane shutters. A close family friend lives with his disabled mother and she can't travel far, so they're going to Celebration (the Disney area.) Again... farther inland.

Now I'm just praying for a few friends of mine with family in Puerto Rico. So far we are trying to stay positive that the eye is off shore and the most devastating winds won't hit the island. After the news out of Barbuda, I think we'll take anything.
Old 07 September 2017, 08:08 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I am really kind of puzzled by panic buys of bottled water.

I understand that some people like to have a bottle to carry around with them, or like the flavor of a particular brand. But in terms of laying in emergency supplies, don't most people have some sort of containers at home that they could fill up with tap water? is the tap water in the area not drinkable? are people under the delusion that water out of the tap, put into a clean container, will become unsafe within a day or two?
I dunno about Miami but the water from the water fountains at Disney World had an unpleasant taste, though I no longer remember how it tasted.