snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 August 2017, 01:27 AM

Glad to hear from you, Veruca, and that you're OK in that area. And at least it sounds as if your father and your friends are in safer locations now.

Hope you'll be able to get some sleep tonight!
Old 28 August 2017, 03:05 AM

This looks like Katrina all over again. I read dozens of "Help us" tweets from people who are/were trapped in their houses or their attics and couldn't reach 911 or the Coast Guard by phone, and I'm tearing up because I don't know if any of them were rescued.
Old 28 August 2017, 02:44 PM

The rain came in waves last night, with surprisingly long dry spells in between. It's definitely not over yet, but some meteorologists are cautiously hopeful that the worst might possibly, maybe be behind us.

A lot of people are being rescued. Volunteers with boats are traveling around as best they can. Other states and cities are sending help, from the Cajun Navy to the FDNY and NYPD. Reading these stories makes me feel a lot better.

Personally, I'm still doing fine. I don't know what the state of my dad's house is, or where he's going to stay in the weeks/months to come, but he and the rest of my family are all still in one piece.
Old 28 August 2017, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the update; and glad you and yours are safe.

The results of this are going to be a long time working out.
Old 28 August 2017, 03:40 PM

Glad to read you are safe, Veruca!

As for cans, I always keep a Swiss army knife anywhere where I might be stranded, just so I have something to open cans with, and I keep a sterno stove and some candles in my car for the same reason.
Old 29 August 2017, 03:13 AM

In the Snopes spirit, here's an article from the New York Times about some of the false rumors that have been circulating:

A Shark in the Street, and Other Hurricane Harvey Rumors You Shouldn’t Believe

Quote:
False claims The New York Times has spotted so far include:

• Individuals hoping to pass on helpful information may be unintentionally spreading a scam that targets hurricane victims.

• Critics of President Trump are misinterpreting the actions of former President Obama.

• Those awed by the apocalyptic scenes of sharks swimming up freeways are breathing new life into a fake image that makes the rounds of social media during major hurricanes.
Also, in case anyone checking this read could use it, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration has a Disaster Distress Hotline for people who need help emotionally coping with everything that's happened. The number is 1-800-985-5990. (Or text "TalkWithUs" to 66746.)

It's still raining. I'm still fine. I feel bad that I haven't been able to contribute to all of the donation drives and volunteering that are happening around the city, but I'm kind of stuck in my neighborhood and I honestly don't have anything to donate.
Old 29 August 2017, 02:08 PM

It's understandable that you feel that way, but you're doing the most important thing you can right now, IMO: staying safe.

There's a long recovery ahead, and you may find opportunities to help more actively then.
Old 29 August 2017, 02:15 PM

Agreeing with Lainie. There'll be plenty of chances after the water goes down to pitch in; including long after the news and the out-of-town assistance moves elsewhere. Right now, the thing to do is to make sure you don't yourself become someone in need of rescue; so as long as they're still saying stay put, stay put.
Old 29 August 2017, 02:21 PM

I heard someone ranting on TV yesterday about how most of the people who needed to be rescued were stupid people who ignored the calls to evacuate until it was too late. I'm sure there were some who did do that but the news I saw indicated that many of the hard hit areas were not expected to be hard hit areas and residents were not told to evacuate. Anyway whether people should have left or not I found the attitude "well they were stupid so let them die" to be pretty cold hearted to say the least!!
Old 29 August 2017, 02:41 PM

Thanks, thorny locust and Lainie.

Sue - Cold hearted and pretty stupid. Most Houstonians were instructed to shelter in place during the storm. Evacuating a city the size of Houston is not a small undertaking and can actually be very dangerous. NPR has a good explanation: Why Didn't Officials Order The Evacuation Of Houston?
Old 29 August 2017, 04:16 PM

Area SAR teams are on their way to help out.
I can only imagine how hard it would be to evacuate an entire city; I've seen photos of people evacuating the Outer Banks and it's all bumper to bumper.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:20 PM

Harvey blew up pretty fast. By the time it became obvious what was coming, it was too late to evacuate someplace the size of Houston.

Whether cities too big to evacuate need better plans in place is another question; but to sneer at citizens for taking their chances at home instead of in a traffic jam, especially when that was what they'd been told to do, is absurd. Not to mention that not everyone's got a car in good condition, all household members and others they're responsible for (human and otherwise) in fit condition to travel and able to fit in said car, and money enough for gas and lodging.

-- I know somebody in Texas, but didn't really know where they are in Texas. Just got around to looking it up. They're in Spring. Then I looked up where Spring is. Uhoh.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:26 PM

The last time they tried to evacuate Houston, 100+ people died in the evacuation -- and the storm turned at the last minute and barely hit Houston. So I can understand why the city officials didn't want to try it again.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:36 PM

Yeah, that was Hurricane Rita. It was just five or six months after Katrina, so people were understandably freaked out and evacuating seemed like the right call. In hindsight, it wasn't.

I hope your friend is okay, thorny locust!
Old 29 August 2017, 05:57 PM

I did hear back from the friend in Spring; they're on high ground and OK and still have food in stock. They have family members who almost certainly have property damage -- how much not known yet as they can't get there to check -- but they're also safe.

I hope insurance companies will pay out. I hope they had the right sort of insurance. I'm sure there are people in the area who didn't -- including quite possibly ones who are now getting flooding because the reservoirs weren't sufficient to hold the load. I don't know whether it was well publicized when they bought those places that they were in a sacrifice zone.
Old 29 August 2017, 07:27 PM

I wonder if this will prompt Houston to actually adopt an effective set of zoning ordinances? The builders that made zillions of dollars in irresponsible building practices won't be paying for the damages.

This is the third "once in a lifetime flood" in Houston in three years and
Quote:
Houston has been hit with six “hundred-year storms” since 1989
http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...ke_harvey.html
Old 29 August 2017, 08:15 PM

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, at least for Houston! Areas father East, like Galveston and parts of Louisiana, may still be in trouble.

Tuesday PM: Harvey begins to work toward the exits

Quote:
Skies may not clear out completely, but many of you will see sunshine tomorrow I project. We will stay dry into the weekend before at least some rain chances (hopefully mostly scattered stuff and nothing too organized) returns to the picture after Labor Day.
Old 29 August 2017, 09:37 PM

Saturday evening, I was talking to my old college roommate who lives in Missouri City TX. He ended that call with the statement "Gotta go, there is some warning on TV. Call you later." Haven't heard from him since. However, Googling Missouri City since hasn't found any thing bad.
Old 30 August 2017, 01:18 AM

I hope you hear from your friend soon, RichardM!

I actually stood in sunshine for a minute earlier today, until the sun went back behind a cloud. Stores and restaurants around my area are starting to re-open. I'm not quite ready to rejoice yet, as we may be getting more rain tonight, but I'm starting to feel optimistic.
Old 30 August 2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The last time they tried to evacuate Houston, 100+ people died in the evacuation -- and the storm turned at the last minute and barely hit Houston. So I can understand why the city officials didn't want to try it again.
In Australia, I have never heard anyone recommend to evacuate a city when a cyclone is threatening. They tell us how to shelter in our own home, and home built to code in cyclone prone areas should be able to withstand a cyclone. The house I grew up in has survived two. The house my Dad grew up in has survived several.

Cyclones are unpredictable, the change direction, go back out to sea, palter out and become rain depressions.

A few years ago we had one that wandered up and down the Queensland coast like it had forgotten where it had parked the car. Eventually, like most, it came to nothing. Which city evacuate and where would evacuate to in that case I don't know