snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 25 August 2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
I'm done with work for the day, so there's nothing left to do but hang around my apartment and see what happens. I get nervous during regular thunderstorms, so I'm trying not to panic now.
Do you know anybody in the area who lives in a lower spot? Maybe they could come keep you company.

ETA: plus which of course we'll keep you long-distance company on the boards.
Old 25 August 2017, 08:33 PM

Thanks. I don't know anyone who could come over, unfortunately. I have a couple friends and some family in the city, but they're all hunkering down in their own homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Our flight back east is scheduled to arrive Houston at noon Saturday.
Good luck! My dad is planning to fly out of Houston on Tuesday. We'll have to wait and see if that will be possible or not.
Old 26 August 2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I don't know anyone who could come over, unfortunately. I have a couple friends and some family in the city, but they're all hunkering down in their own homes.

Good luck! My dad is planning to fly out of Houston on Tuesday. We'll have to wait and see if that will be possible or not.
Thanks.

As of a few hours ago, United did not appear to have cancelled the flight from Seattle to Houston.

They could reroute me via San Francisco to Orlando, but then I'd be three hours from home. Only one open seat on a reroute via Chicago, but there are two travelers.
Old 26 August 2017, 12:31 PM

Well, the good news is that Harvey has weakened from a Category 4 to a Category 1, according to the Houston Chronicle.

I'm afraid to even look at pictures or videos from Corpus Christi or other towns near the coast. I'm whatever-atheists-do-instead-of-praying for people there. Apparently the hurricane has spawned a few tornadoes, which I didn't even know could happen.

My own neighborhood is fine so far. Lots of rain, but no real flooding yet. They're saying the worst of it will start tonight.
Old 26 August 2017, 07:13 PM

At any rate it sounds as if your area, at least, won't get extremely high winds along with the rain.

It does seem likely that you're in for several days of way too much rain; but at least the roof should stay put.

Poor Corpus Christi! and also people and other creatures in all the surrounding areas, who will probably get less attention on the news than the cities will. I don't know what to call it that atheists do instead of praying either, but am doing it also.
Old 26 August 2017, 09:07 PM

Apparently it all depends on where Harvey decides to meander to next, which is very hard to predict. Here in Houston, we're either looking at "pain in the butt" levels of rain or "emergency" levels of rain. It's too soon to say.

On a personal note, I was able to make my pet sitting rounds this morning. I put out extra food and water, and kept my out-of-town clients updated on the weather situation. If the rain does continue into next week, I don't know how that's going to affect my job. I worry about the pets, but I also really don't want to risk getting stuck in a client's house or - much worse - on the road if/when the flooding starts.
Old 26 August 2017, 10:34 PM

Please do NOT try to drive on any flooded roads.

It will do the creatures no good if you drown; you won't be able to get to them then anyway. Leave them extra food and water, yes; and only go out if the roads are open and highway departments aren't forbidding travel, whether in general or on that particular road. Moving water doesn't need to be all that deep to be very dangerous; and if levees or other barriers give way it can rise very suddenly.

I hope it does stop at "pain in the butt" levels.
Old 26 August 2017, 11:15 PM

Stay safe Veruca. Thinking of you and all Texas Snopesters!

AFA heating food in the can it comes in over a flame, I'd avoid it if possible. If you look at modern cans, there's a white coating inside, and I'd not take a chance that coating will not degrade if heat's applied directly to the can itself. As others mentioned, probably best to pick foods you don't mind eating cold, such as beans.

We bought a new gas stove last January, and in the last power outage early this spring, we discovered that because the controls are now electronic, manual lighting was no longer possible.
Old 27 August 2017, 01:04 AM

United Seattle to Houston this morning was not cancelled and arrived a bit early. Unfortunately, the continuation flight to Jacksonville was cancelled.

United rebooked us to JAX via Newark (where I am at the moment), getting us into JAX about eight hours later than planned.
Old 27 August 2017, 01:34 AM

Just talking to my old college roommate in Missouri City (west of Houston proper). In the middle of our conversation, he said he had to go. The TV was broadcasting warnings about tornadoes.
Old 27 August 2017, 02:17 AM

Tornados are often a fairly common byproduct of strong hurricanes.

Stay safe everyone!!
Old 27 August 2017, 04:14 AM

It's been raining like crazy for the last hour here. I'm tired but the storm is too loud and scary for me to sleep.

My dad also lives in Houston, and unfortunately water often comes in through his back door when it floods. He's been busy putting down every towel and sheet he has on the floor of his back room.

The good news is I still have power and internet for now, which is actually pretty impressive considering how much flooding we're getting. Good job, power and internet companies!
Old 27 August 2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Well, the good news is that Harvey has weakened from a Category 4 to a Category 1,
I was just leading this line when the newsreader said "Powerful and Destructive" is how Hurricane Harvey is being described. So I was wondering who was telling the truth and what was "fake news"

Glad the all the songsters in the area are going ok. It's has been years since I lived in a hurricane/cyclone prone area (although Brisbane does occasionally, very occasionally) get threatened by one. I remember well the tension in the are when you are threatened with one.
Old 27 August 2017, 11:05 AM

Well, like thorny locust mentioned, we're not having to deal with hurricane-level winds, which is great. This rain is awful, though. I got a few hours of sleep and woke up to the news that the National Weather Service has declared a state of "catastrophic, life-threatening flooding" in Houston.

I'm fine. My apartment is still dry. I'm concerned about my dad, who just checked in, so at least I know he's physically okay. But he hasn't said yet what kind of state his house is in.

I hope other Texan snopesters are doing okay! This rain could potentially continue until Thursday, but all my fingers are crossed that the worst of it will be over after today.
Old 27 August 2017, 01:49 PM

Glad your internet's holding up, Veruca. I've been reminding myself that if you stop posting for a while it might just be that your access is down.
Old 27 August 2017, 04:06 PM

I appreciate your concern. My street is faring amazingly well, all things considered. We haven't lost power and the street is still passable to cars. (Even though no one is supposed to be driving around the city today, I've seen a few people taking their chances.)

Unfortunately, my dad isn't doing so well. He lives in a one-story house that currently has a couple of inches of water everywhere. He insists that he's safe, just miserable.

The rain slowed down for a couple of hours this morning, which gave everyone a much needed break. Then it picked up again.
Old 27 August 2017, 04:46 PM

Apparently a viral message is going around with a fake number for the National Guard.

TS Harvey victims, don't share viral National Guard social media message

Quote:
A message reading "The National Guard is being deployed to our Texas area. If you find yourself in a state of emergency. Call 1-800-527-3907. Please copy, paste or share!" is making the rounds on Facebook and Twitter.

That phone number is for an insurance company based out of state and not a number to an actual governmental entity.
Old 27 August 2017, 10:39 PM

The rain slowed down for a bit early this afternoon, but it's expected to come back tonight. From what I've read, it shouldn't be as bad tonight as it was last night, but of course that's uncertain.

If anyone would like a personal update: my part of town is doing so well so far that I'm starting to feel guilty about it. My apartment is still dry and still has power. My dad and some relatives who are staying with him had to evacuate his house earlier today. They're staying in a church that was supposed to be a Red Cross shelter, but the Red Cross can't get to them.

One of my friends had to temporarily move into a neighbor's house when hers flooded. Another friend and her family had to be rescued by the National Guard. It's a total mess out there.

If anyone is wondering how to help, the Houston Chronicle has an article up: How to help victims of the Texas storm
Old 28 August 2017, 12:03 AM

The news is now saying that Houston may get up to 50 inches and the National Weather Service is calling Harvey "unprecedented," which is apparently freaking people out.
Old 28 August 2017, 12:36 AM

This level of flooding in Houston is more or less unprecedented, but yeah, media hype doesn't help situations like this. There are scary rumors flying around that Harvey might move over the Gulf, strengthen back into a hurricane, and make another landfall. My new favorite blog, Space City Weather, has a post explaining why that is not likely: Addressing the Zombie Hurricane Harvey scenario