snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 29 July 2017, 03:57 AM

Sixth grade was tricky at my school, too. Junior high was set up for it better.
Old 29 July 2017, 09:41 AM

Flame

Things they don't want you to know:
Fire is Radiation! STOP IRRADIATING YOUR FOOD!!
Old 29 July 2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Sixth grade was tricky at my school, too. Junior high was set up for it better.
I was in fifth grade and it was awful, we did have single-use bathrooms but it was so freaking embarrassing using pads, and feeling that feeling when you suddenly move and you know you're leaking blood something fierce downstairs and it's time to go do cleanup. Somehow all my friends knew (I probably complained to them about it, loudly, and then wondered why everyone knew my business- ten year olds aren't the most logical creatures out there). When I went to middle school in sixth grade it was loads better. I was in school with eighth graders so getting my period was no longer super interesting or rare.
Old 29 July 2017, 04:56 PM

No single use bathrooms. And it was 1973, so the pads were about an inch thick, and they weren't self-stick -- they were secured by a sanitary belt, or by elastic loops in a special pair of underwear. Ugh.
Old 29 July 2017, 05:29 PM

My mom had a hysterectomy right after I was born, and so the latest technology she knew was sanitary belts. I feel your pain. I kept telling my mom and grandmother that the ladies hopping around joyfully in tampon commercials were NOT using belts.

I snuck out and bought my own box of tampons and it literally took me 12 months before I had the courage to put one in. I spent lots of hours crying on the bathroom floor with a box of tampons and some menstrual belts. It seems kind of comical now.
Old 29 July 2017, 06:17 PM

My mother was morally opposed to tampons. I don't think it was the old "they take your virginity" ridiculousness, just prudishness about an unmarried young woman touching her own genitals for reasons other than cleaning them. I started using them anyway in my late teens, ignoring her silent disapproval.

Then toxic shock hit the news when I was a freshman in college, and she clipped and sent me every article she saw about it.
Old 29 July 2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
When I got my period at 11, my mom's friend B said "She'll stop growing now," and Mom dismissed it as an "old wives' tale." But she was right.
If that had happened to me I shudder to think what my height would be right now. I remember being the shortest kid in grade 6 and definitely well under 5 ft tall (and I am not much more that now).

ETA: on the subject of belts, can you even buy those things anymore? I haven't seen them or the pads with the attachments in literally years and years and years. And good riddance to them! I never used the belt, I was somewhat ahead of my time and always fastened them with safety pins.

Last edited by Sue; 29 July 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 29 July 2017, 06:44 PM

I was one of the shorter kids in class before then, but not the shortest. I was 5'3/4" at 12, and unless I've shrunk I still am.

My daughter started at 10. She's 5'-1/4", I think, and there was a time we weren't sure she'd make 5'. I think that last 1/4" took two years.

Meanwhile, her father and all three of my brothers are over 6' tall.

ETA: I doubt you can buy those belts anymore. IDK what you'd use them for. I don't think modern pads would work with them. Didn't the old-school pads have like tabs or strips at each end that attached to the belt?

Last edited by Lainie; 29 July 2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 29 July 2017, 07:55 PM

Royalty

I thought they had loops. The school secretary had a large bag of safety pins especially for use with pads.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:14 PM

I think there were different kinds. But I remember pads in the early 70s having tabs, kind of like these (click on the fourth image)

ETA: Here's a better picture. The clips on the belt hold the tabs on the pad.

FETA: Here's an ad for belts with loops instead of clips. . The safety pins were necessary if you didn't have a belt or panties with loops.
Old 29 July 2017, 09:27 PM

I read an article about a woman who decided to try old-fashioned belts and pads for one period, and ISTR she had to order them online, from overseas.

ETA: she got the belt from eBay, and the pads from Thailand.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/4640...e-gory-details

Last edited by smittykins; 29 July 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 29 July 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I read an article about a woman who decided to try old-fashioned belts and pads
I wore that setup for several years (well, obviously not continuously) in my teens. I agree that the modern versions are an improvement, and that tampons are more comfortable than either; but I definitely don't remember the pad moving around in the fashion that she describes, whether worn under a skirt or under slacks. And I occasionally rode horseback, astride, while wearing a belt-and-pad rig. (And yes, I washed a lot of stained underwear. They did also make special underwear for the purpose, designed to catch any leaks. Those were hot in hot weather and generally annoying.)

I wonder whether there might be some significant difference in the underwear she's wearing over it; or whether maybe she finds the whole sensation so odd that any slight movement was much more noticeable to her than it was to me; or, possibly, whether the pads currently being made in Thailand are different than the ones sold in the USA by Kotex in the 1960's.

-- the first tampon ads I noticed confused me into thinking that one had to go to a doctor and get something professionally inserted, presumably that would last for quite some time. My older sister clarified that one for me. I don't remember its being considered shocking by most people I knew to wear tampons in one's teens/while a virgin, but I do remember hearing that there were some people who thought so.
Old 29 July 2017, 11:06 PM

This escalated quickly.

Brad "I hold no position on this subject" from Georgia
Old 30 July 2017, 12:38 AM

Sorry for the TMI, Brad!
Old 30 July 2017, 03:31 AM

I am very lucky in that my grandmother was the first founder of a women's health clinic in Manhattan and I'm used to not forgetting to speak up, http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/cwh/

That clinic is under threat right now and I think every woman should know.
Old 30 July 2017, 09:06 AM

I tried to use modern pads in the belts and it really was a little iffy, they all had adhesive but barely stuck and moved around a lot. My only counsellors were a woman who had been in menopause for 20 years and my mom who had been menopausal since shortly after I was born.

I was so overjoyed that first time I overcame my own fears and inserted that first tampon. I was really scared of it hurting and had a history of sexual abuse to overcome.
Old 30 July 2017, 03:25 PM

I'm sorry you didn't get the help you needed from your mother and grandmother(?) but I honestly don't see what on earth them not currently menstruating has to do with anything. They weren't helpful because they weren't helpful.
Old 30 July 2017, 04:23 PM

I think most people who have learned how to do something, and figure that they have it down, don't go out of their way to learn additional possible ways to do it. So if it's something that they haven't done for some time, they're very likely not to have spent time studying up on technology changes that may have occured in the meantime.

In modern society, one is expected to re-learn, over and over again, how to do many things that one had already learned how to accomplish. Most people have a limited amount of time and attention available for doing this, and are likely to find it taken up with learning and re-learning things they're actually doing; so they're not going to keep on re-learning how to do things that aren't part of their own daily lives.

I realized some years ago that I no longer know how to use a fast-food driveup window. That's something I would do rarely enough that it's not worth my time and energy to figure it out, especially since I'd probably have to do it all over again by the next time I wanted to do so. It's easier, on the rare occasions I buy at such a place, to go inside.

Now learning enough about modern menstrual supplies to advise one's own daughter is something of a different matter; but it's possible the mother, let alone the grandmother, just didn't realize that things had changed -- I didn't know about the drive-up windows until I happened to be going to a meeting with someone who decided to stop at one.

Also, some personal advice about tampons is best given by somebody who's actually used them -- and even if someone into menopause tried doing so, they're not going to work the same way in the body of someone who's not menstruating.
Old 30 July 2017, 04:36 PM

Again I think it depends on the person. I just don't believe that because a woman no longer menstruates that she is unable to advise and assist someone else, especially her daughter. A woman who cannot do this would not have been helpful anyway, at least in my opinion.
Old 30 July 2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I realized some years ago that I no longer know how to use a fast-food driveup window.
Why would you no longer know how to use one? Have they changed?

(I have never ordered drive-thru food as an adult, so my only reference is sitting in the car as a kid in the 90's, when my parents would order.)