snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 August 2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
He lives in California, where they don't get rain to naturally clean your windows.
We get just enough rain to turn the wildfire ash into cement.
Old 01 August 2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGirl View Post
I"m supposed to clean my windows?
The outside side of the windows get done when I can get someone to do them. So not often , but the inside patio doors get done a lot since we keep dogsitting for our wandering children. Nothing like dog snot to make you get out the windex and some paper towels!
Old 02 August 2017, 12:28 PM

Whalephant

When I was a kid, my parents would spend two weekends a year--usually in the spring and fall--cleaning every window in the house plus screens and blinds. Naturally it would rain a few days later.
Old 02 August 2017, 02:11 PM

We have friends who do a spring and fall cleaning every year (on top of regular maintenance) and they always wash all their walls. They aren't smokers which is the only reason I can think of offhand why someone would do this. Frankly, it's never occurred to me to wash my walls. Let alone twice a year .
Old 02 August 2017, 02:19 PM

My mom used to wash the kitchen walls periodically. Dad smoked like a chimney, but also our kitchen was tiny and there was no exhaust fan, so the wall probably got greasy.
Old 02 August 2017, 02:22 PM

I wonder if that's where the idea of washing their walls began? It was something one (or both) of their parents did and it's become part of their regular cleaning routine. That would make sense although in a modern, well ventilated, non-smoking house it's a lot more work than most of us are prepared to put in I would suspect. Unless I'm in a non-wall washing minority .
Old 02 August 2017, 02:30 PM

Glasses

My mother washed the walls in the kitchen, dining room and living room once a year, and I washed the walls before moving out in every apartment (save one) that I ever lived in. You wash the walls to remove the dirt around the light switches and where people bump them*. When I cleaned apartments for the university one summer, whether we washed the walls depended on how good the insulation was in that apartment (good insulation, no need to wash; bad insulation, wash with bleach water).

Always wash from the bottom up, so that the dirty water doesn't soak into the unwashed parts of the wall.

Somewhere, I have my grandfather's recipe for wall wash stuff.

*if you spot wash, that part of the wall will look different, so it's better to wash the whole thing.

Seaboe
Old 02 August 2017, 03:00 PM

I just don't know how people who work full time have the energy to keep the house clean. Honestly though, even when I wasn't working, it wasn't pristine. I can give it a good cleaning every once in a while, I am bad at keeping things up. I like having a clean house, I just don't seem to have the energy or commitment to keep things up. I might try that 20 minute thing, as that may help. It also helps to listen to some music while I am cleaning.

MG
Old 02 August 2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
You wash the walls to remove the dirt around the light switches and where people bump them*. When I cleaned apartments for the university one summer, whether we washed the walls depended on how good the insulation was in that apartment (good insulation, no need to wash; bad insulation, wash with bleach water).
Huh?

How does insulation affect the amount of dirt around the light switches and where people bump into walls?
Old 02 August 2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The outside side of the windows get done when I can get someone to do them.
When I had most of the windows on my house replaced not long after I moved in, I bought myself a nice brass-handled squeegee like the pros use, because I liked my nice new windows and wanted to keep them nice. In reality they get cleaned maybe once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My mom used to wash the kitchen walls periodically. Dad smoked like a chimney, but also our kitchen was tiny and there was no exhaust fan, so the wall probably got greasy.
When I first moved into my house the kitchen walls were incredibly greasy and dingy. I suspect the previous owners cooked a lot of deep fried foods, given how the filters in the exhaust fan were full of grease and the fact that I found some old French fries that had fallen into the storage drawer under the stove. I ended up just painting the walls.
Old 02 August 2017, 04:17 PM

I think that's another reason people don't wash walls as much these days -- they paint more often.
Old 02 August 2017, 04:21 PM

And tying that into Seaboe's job cleaning apartments, when I lived in Raleigh there was a local law requiring landlords to paint the walls before a new tenant moves in. So that would render washing the walls unnecessary.
Old 02 August 2017, 04:27 PM

I believe that is the law in Ohio too. Which is why rental ads that say "freshly painted!" make me giggle.
Old 02 August 2017, 04:56 PM

I don't wash walls before repainting, but I certainly sand them. I've seen people have the paint peeling off within a year of painting that didn't. Is the paint sticking well to the greasy walls? If so, what kind of paint did you use? I'd rather not sand if I don't have to.
Old 02 August 2017, 05:12 PM

Are you asking me? I don't remember what brand it was, but was specifically a "kitchen and bath" paint meant to withstand being scrubbed. So far it's holding up well.

In retrospect I probably should have sanded some things before painting. The kitchen seems fine, but the baseboards in some other rooms are starting to peel, probably because the paint that was on them before was rather glossy.
Old 02 August 2017, 05:16 PM

I live in a big apartment complex, and I'd be very surprised if they cleaned or sanded the walls before repainting them, judging from 1) how quickly they can turn an apartment and 2) the quality of the paint jobs.
Old 02 August 2017, 05:25 PM

Yes, WildaBeast - I should have quoted you so you knew. I'll look for paint that is meant for kitchens and bathrooms.

And Lainie, I'd say you're probably right that they don't sand, also based on quality of paint jobs.
Old 02 August 2017, 08:51 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
How does insulation affect the amount of dirt around the light switches and where people bump into walls?
Sorry, that was two different things. One was a general reason why people might wash walls (dirt around light switches), and the other was a completely different reason for washing walls, basically (whited out) because in the badly insulated apartments, there was a problem with mold, and we washed the walls to get rid of the surface mold. The apartments at issue no longer exist (this was almost 40 years ago, and the apartments had originally been temporary base housing, built just after WWII).

Seaboe
Old 02 August 2017, 09:38 PM

Ah. That makes more sense.

Though I would think washing the walls would actually have made the underlying problem worse, as it would add moisture.
Old 02 August 2017, 09:55 PM

Any time I have moved out of an apartment, Mom's made me wash the walls. In cleaning up the house to rent it out, she insisted on wiping down the base boards. I have no idea why and it's always seemed like a waste of time. At no point in my life have I ever been in someone's home and thought "Boy, those are some clean walls" or "Wow those base boards are dirty". I've wondered if it's a generational thing or if Mom is just weird.