snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 06 April 2017, 11:48 AM

Default Every story I have read about Trump supporters in the past week

Since Donald Trumpís approval rating now looks like something that got stuck to the bottom of my shoe, I joined the flood of journalists who went to Real America to gloat see how the Trump supporters are getting along.

In the shadow of the old flag factory, Craig Slabornik sits whittling away on a rusty nail, his only hobby since the plant shut down. He is an American like millions of Americans, and he has no regrets about pulling the lever for Donald Trump in November ó twice, in fact, which Craig says is just more evidence of the voter fraud plaguing the country. Craig is a contradiction, but he does not know it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.e80a108cdb71
Old 06 April 2017, 02:33 PM

I'm reading this and hearing the voice of Alec Baldwin giving everyone's bio.

ETA: I've not seen Goodfellows.
Old 06 April 2017, 03:54 PM

It's interesting to see how many in the comments read this as mocking Trump supporters, rather than mocking the journalists writing in this vein.
Old 06 April 2017, 05:30 PM

that was impressive, musicgeek. The number of people who didn't get that it might, maybe, be intended as humorous was sad.
Old 06 April 2017, 06:46 PM

I'm growing increasingly disheartened by the lack of reading comprehension (or, more likely, effort made at reading comprehension) by vast swaths of our society, across the political spectrum. One of today's articles on Cracked alludes to this.

Quote:
But instead, prominent voices in the media are making claims he can refute, and I'm stuck defending an a**hole with whom I wouldn't shake hands even if his palm was coated in the antidote I needed. Please, for the love of Bob Woodward's future spinning corpse, stop making me do this.
Old 06 April 2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
that was impressive, musicgeek. The number of people who didn't get that it might, maybe, be intended as humorous was sad.
Or who had a vague idea that it was meant to be funny, but in the process was slandering fine, upstanding citizens like "David Mattress" who would sue the Post into oblivion.

Inevitably some of the commenters genuinely have no clue, while some of them may just be pretending not to as their own form of satire. But genuine newspaper comments can be so mind bogglingly stupid that it's often hard to distinguish even the most outrageous comments from the real thing.
Old 07 April 2017, 12:26 AM

Mouse

It's the tradeoff we get for spending so much time teaching people to fill in blanks and scantrons rather then teaching basic deductive reasoning, which involves sorting out the facts and weighing evidence.